Sun Solar

Started by peternap, June 19, 2011, 08:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Anyone know anything about Sun Solar panels? They have some good prices but I'm worried about their life span.
http://www.sunelec.com/
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Squirl

I was looking at them too.  They are chinese made.   They are one of the largest solar produces in the world.  They did google's setup.  The look like they have good warranties.  The evergreen panels were around the same exact price.  I was researching which might be better.  I was actually researching that tonight. Thats all the info I have so far.

I've heard mixed reviews about dealing with sunelec.

glenn kangiser

The B grade ones I got performed above specification as far as output goes. 

Isn't everything made in China?

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Tickhill

I have 6 of the 195 watt models but they were made in Germany. I also bought an Outback FM-60 charge controller and a Xantrex inverter from Sunelec. I bought one of their "Sun Sine Wave" inverter and shipped it back, they have since stopped selling it. I always placed orders over the phone, quick/courteous and no damage on 2 separate panel orders. I have not found cheaper panel prices anywhere. The model I got were not UL listed but I agree with Glenn, they have outperformed their advertised wattages.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Windpower

Sunelec does have the best prices

overall I have been happy with them

I had one problem that I had to resolve myself and they only offered to return the one panel -- not the best customer service perhaps but it got resolved

a big thumbs up for The Solar Biz another great source
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

peternap

Thanks Guys!
I'm going to order a couple of the B's today to replace the HF panels I use to power some of the sub systems. I have 7 tgat have stopped generating...darned hings don't even have a diode I can find >:(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Pricey little devils to ship....$175.00 for two of the 200 watt panels.

I'm ordering them today.

I'm going to take the HF Panels that are preforming way down (4.5 volts avg) and wire them in series to charge a 6 volt system lighting system I've been charging as 12 volts then isolating one battery.

The dead ones are going to get torn down to see if I can salvage enough cells to make a couple more panels. I still don't understand no diode. ???

Windpower

Maybe try adding a diode, Peter

or maybe the diodes are failed and hidden somewhere
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

peternap

Quote from: Native_NM on June 20, 2011, 10:19:55 AM
Solar news this morning:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-19/short-sellers-hammer-solarcoaster-as-glut-of-chinese-panels-sinks-prices.html

Solar is the short playground.
I made a nice return on Ascent when they made the big push...then shorted it all the way back to the ground.

Gotta love gluts when buying panels though ;D I'll buy some more if they keep going down.

peternap

Quote from: Windpower on June 20, 2011, 09:58:40 AM
Maybe try adding a diode, Peter

or maybe the diodes are failed and hidden somewhere

It's possible. I only pulled the access plate looking for it. I'm going to start taking the DOA's out of the glass and see what makes it tick. Then I'll pull the individual cells and hopefully get enough to make a few good ones.

Thankfully these aren't part of my main system. That's one advantage to modular solar. I have 5 inverters serving different parts of the house and three separate solar systems serving things like outdoor lighting, automatic water pumping, etc.

If one part goes down I can always reallocate resources to cover it.

peternap

The Panels are here. I have to cut the M4 connectors off to test it, then crimp ring connectors on.

So far, great service.

glenn kangiser

There are automotive bullet connectors that work in the M4's if I am thinking of the right connector.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 25, 2011, 09:45:50 PM
There are automotive bullet connectors that work in the M4's if I am thinking of the right connector.

I just cut them off and soldered on ring connectors. That's what I use on all the other panels.

You were right about the B's Glenn. They are exceeding specs.

glenn kangiser

All I noticed was chipped edges on the cells under the resin.  Performance is outstanding.