16x? in the Maine Woods

Started by BAdams, July 18, 2011, 03:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAdams

I'm new here. Been gawking for quite a while. Planning to build a hunting camp/get away place in my old home town in northern Maine. I have 12 acres that was passed down from my great grandfather. Trying to decide whether to build a shed first to use as shelter during the cabin build, or just go for it. I live in Virginia (15 hour drive) with about 8 or 9 days at a time to go up there, once or twice a year. Just hoping for some input.

BAdams

I will post some pics when I get to my computer.

Turkeyhunter

16 x 24 maybe???
What part oif Maine???
headed up that way soon.

MaineRhino

After doing my place, I would have built a small shed (12x16) first for sleeping and tool storage.  d*

davidj

We built an 8x8 shed first.  It also had a very small loft that was just big enough for 2 people, so we could use it for tool storage and sleeping.

suburbancowboy

Definitely go with the shed first for many reasons.

1. Unless you are a builder this will give you experience and let you know what you can do and what should be contracted out.
2. Having a dry place to sleep it great as the build will take twice as long as you think.
3. Having to haul tools back and forth is a real pain.

We started with a 12 X 16 with 10 foot walls 1 1/2 story.  Last week we had 10 people in it with room to spare.  I also don't haul my tools back and forth any more.

Sassy

w*  looking forward to watching your build...  that means lots of pictures, please  heh
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Native_NM

Build it in VA and tow it up there....
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

BAdams

Here's my first try at pics :)

View from the road.

View of the road coming into camp. My property is on the left.

My property on the right, down to where the road goes out of sight.

This is near the back of the lot. Used to be farm land. Old rock wall on the left.

This looks like it might be a good place to start clearing. If not it will be a nice spot for a tree stand ;D

astidham

nice property!
lots of tree's!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Turkeyhunter

fine looking Maine Property!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAdams

Thanks for the questions and comments.

I was thinking a 16x24 or 32 cabin. First I think I'll try a 12x16 shed/beginner cabin. 10' walls, loft and 12/12 roof. This will become a bunk house, shed or attached bedroom on the main cabin, not sure yet. I definitely want to try the roof on something smaller like this. The shed will either be on post and pier or skids.

Turkeyhunter

16 x 12 and then add on as you like in later years. 6 " x 6"  or 4' x 6" PT Posts deep below the frost line.

Tom

There are so many variables that you didn't include. Are you on a tight budget? How many people would be staying in it? How much help would you have?
I'm building a 12 x 16. I have done all the work myself and with the help of friends when I couldn't do something alone. I live 12 miles from my cabin, and even at this short distance, hauling stuff can be a pain. Leaving things exposed to the elements takes a toll.
Few people ever complained about too much room, but many people complain about not enough. If you have the finances, go bigger. If not, then build something small. Take as many friends as you can gather, so that you can get it fried in. Ask a lot of questions here. They taught me a lot.
Look at the threads for 12 x 16 cabins. It's surprising what you can do with a small space.

BAdams

I am on a tight budget but expecting it to loosen up in the near future. My biggest problem is finding the time to go up there. I work away from home 20 days out of the month so it's hard to go to Maine   for 10 days on my time off when I haven't been home for three weeks. I am thinking about building the outhouse in VA and towing it up there to save a little time. I've thought about panelized construction as another way to save time but I should be able to pull together a good team to help out when I get there. I'm thinking 2 trips up and I can have it dried in. (wishfull thinking?)

frazoo

thanks for the pics, they bring back fond memories.  Went hunting with my dad (now 91) in the Allagash Wilderness back in the 80's.  Nothing looks quite like that..., .

good luck with your build,

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

BAdams

Thanks frazoo. Not much for scenery here but I might be able to see MT Katahdin from the roof when I'm done.

BAdams

Local tradition for remote hunting camps is that you don't keep the door locked. The reason for this is a lost hunter or somebody with a broke down ATV or snowmobile can have a hot meal and get out of the weather for a night. Gentleman's rules apply. Replace what you've used and make sure there is some dry split kindling wood for the next guy.  Also write a little something in the notebook on the table.(everybody likes to hear a good story ;))

My first build will probably be something like this. Not exactly a tar paper shack, but simple. I'm thinking 12x16, unfinished on the inside, no insulation. A couple sets of bunk beds a small table and a wood stove. It will have a loft.  Just a place to stay while building something larger. It will probably become a bunkhouse after I finish the larger cabin. It will be place friends or family can use for a weekend of hunting (beer drinking) or just to relax ( drink beer).

MikeOnBike

Quote from: BAdams on July 27, 2011, 03:37:27 AM
Local tradition for remote hunting camps is that you don't keep the door locked. The reason for this is a lost hunter or somebody with a broke down ATV or snowmobile can have a hot meal and get out of the weather for a night. Gentleman's rules apply. Replace what you've used and make sure there is some dry split kindling wood for the next guy.  Also write a little something in the notebook on the table.(everybody likes to hear a good story ;))

Same tradition here.  I lock my place in the summer when I have more valuable items, like tools, genset, etc. in the shed/cabin and there are more idiots in the area.  In the winter time anything of real value is hauled off the mtn.  I leave some food, propane for the little stove, blankets...