24x24 in Western New Mexico

Started by hpinson, February 07, 2011, 03:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

Had the trees wrapped 12" up. We had a lot of snow this winter, and the debarking started right above, at the snow line. No repellant though. :o(  I know it was rabbits because of all the pellets they left behind.  :o(

Adam Roby

You should set some snares around the trees so at least they'll repay you with some meat for the freezer.

hpinson

They are jackrabbits. Really big. I wonder what kind of eating those are?

I counted 100 deer in a herd last weekend. I've never seen so many deer around.  3 wet years.

rick91351

>:(  Rabbits are a whole other issue - and depending on how deep snow and lack of hawks, owls, coyotes and bobcats.  The latter two are sort of iffy if deep powder.  If you are talking jack rabbits - goodness they can stand up and eat a long ways up a tree.  Especially standing on two or thee foot of snow.  With jack rabbits so long as they are young and tender trees Huston We Have A Problem   You can box around them up a ways with hardware cloth and wooden frame or......  stop by the grocery store...... 

Trapping & snares only do able if you are there to set and move in the snow.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

hpinson

I did see one of these around:

Adam Roby

:)

I haven't had a chance to taste a jack-rabbit yet, but I do plan on doing a little hunting on my land this summer time and game permitting.

rick91351

Quote from: hpinson on March 01, 2016, 01:55:39 PM
I did see one of these around:

That is the Lesser New Mexico Jackalope......  Tinyes Jackalopesess Bullonies ...  Not to be confused with the Greater Wyoming ........
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

hpinson

rick91351

Yeppers - Grandous Wyominus Jackalopesess Bullonies - verification usually only found around tenderfoot camp fires and few library publications and the internet.....   

Adam Roby

rick91351

Quote from: Adam Roby on March 02, 2016, 07:11:03 PM
Any relation to this guy?

Nope that is another species altogether. 

Don_P

Oh, that's just our eastern vole, whole nuther pest.
We have a remnant snowshoe hare population that lives in the relic boreal forest on top of Whitetop and Mt Rogers. I saw an article in the paper where they are in decline, they are holding on to their winter coats beyond the end of snow and are easy for predators to pick out. I'm wondering if that will get them or if that will pressure them into changing coats earlier. Should be interesting to watch.

hpinson

I have determined - 'twas a Porcupine that ate my trees.