Do I need to be a licensed contractor?

Started by IMScoop, October 11, 2011, 07:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMScoop

I am interested in building a small house, mainly to learn the process and learn a/b building. Based on a little research, it seems as though you don't have to have a license of any kind to build your own house but you do to build for someone else or for resale. Does that only apply if you're building the house under contract for someone else? If so, if you built a house "for yourself" but never lived in it, what are your options for selling it?

I realize the answer is to some degree location specific but I'm just trying to get an idea as to what the regulations are and are not out there.

Don_P

In most places you can act as your own building contractor on your own house. In most places you can sell a house you have built, many places have a requirement that you have lived in the house for some specified time. Some places also will only let you do this a specified number of times within a time period. Many places have stiff fines for someone acting as a contractor without a license, some do not.

IMScoop

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I imagine the best thing to do for a specific area is call the building inspector? It doesn't seem to be very easy to find this information online.

MWAndrus

It depends on where you live. In some states like Wisconsin, all of the information is available on thier website. Just make sure that you check county and city codes as well as state. I ran into a problem thinking that I only had to conform to State codes. I later found out that I have more restrictive local town codes. Talking to a building inspector from the area that you want to build in is probly the best way to go.

MountainDon

Also check beforehand what tests you as a DIY'er might have to pass (and pay for) before being allowed to do things like electrical or plumbing. Some areas prohibit home owners from certain types of work.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Being your own general contractor or contractor of course does not allow you to skirt codes and laws.  That said I have found that most inspectors will be harder on you in some areas of your work than a contractor they know.  I think it is a turf thing.

However if you and the inspector can come to a common ground and he is not really busy the are a wealth of information and help.  They will help you look up codes and explain some of the language.  Sort of give you good interpretative understanding hopefully before the mistakes are made.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.