Portable Solar Idea

Started by Pritch, August 06, 2010, 12:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pritch

I saw this posted on a blog I visit from time to time.  It is called the Solman Mobile Solar Generator. http://www.sol-solutions.com/index.php/products-services/solman-portable-solar-solutions  Think of it as kind of a micro-solar trailer.  The appeal is to be able to wheel it around to where the best sun is or back in the shed when you need to secure it.  I'm guessing they chose gell cells because they are enclosing all of the components inside the box.  They're using 135 watt Kyrocera panels but the same could be done with bigger panels to get more oomph in the same footprint.  I like the concept and it seems like it could be a cool DIY project.  Waddayathink? 

"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

Shawn B

"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

Pritch

Yup.  (I planted the seed in his mind. . .)   ;D  :D  :) 

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7947.0  Heh, heh heh. . .   :)
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

John Raabe

Jeez, what a great bunch of similar ideas. Mental cross-fertilization in action. :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

bayview

Looks easy enough to build . . .    I would imagine it would cost less than 1/2 of what they want if you built it yourself.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

glenn kangiser

As pictured it is about $5000 - the two extra panels cost more.

Using other components - you could build one about the same size for much less likely about a third of the cost.

A friend of mine is building solar trailers with generators also - seems the idea is catching on.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Pritch

I'm guessing the liniting factor on these is batteries.  It would be hard to have "enough" battery capacity at a light enough weight to push around on a deer cart.  Perhaps a seperate rolling battery cart could be utilized. 

bayview

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 06, 2010, 03:13:56 PM
As pictured it is about $5000 - the two extra panels cost more.

Using other components - you could build one about the same size for much less likely about a third of the cost.

A friend of mine is building solar trailers with generators also - seems the idea is catching on.

For 5 grand it better come with a log chain and a guard dog . . .    Something like that could disappear pretty quick.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .