I fell off my roof

Started by Bobmarlon, October 30, 2009, 12:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

The boots are $135 on that website.

I'm trying to resolve in my mind just how spammy this post is? ???

On the one hand it appears to be a useful product.

On the other hand, for a first post, shortly after joining, it smells a little spammy.  ???

So we'll wait and see what else Brian has to say.  Please excuse my suspicious mind.  d*

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

Quote from: MountainDon on December 30, 2009, 11:41:10 PM
The boots are $135 on that website.

I'm trying to resolve in my mind just how spammy this post is? ???

On the one hand it appears to be a useful product.

On the other hand, for a first post, shortly after joining, it smells a little spammy.  ???

So we'll wait and see what else Brian has to say.  Please excuse my suspicious mind.  d*

MD,

I usually fight spam tooth and nail.  One difference is the store locater on their website.  It gives me a chance to go see these for myself and make up my own mind if they are worth it.   It is not a strictly web thing. 
The second was that they are keeping in the spirit of the original post...roof safety.

But as you say...time will tell.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

rick91351

MountainDon I agree with fishing_guy on this.  I think you most likely do as well.  Seems very little in the personal gain category to be won on this.  Unless there is a super bot out there monitoring forums, finds a topic, applies for membership, generates a message and then insert it.  Then bills the company it plugs.  If this occurs get ready of posts for every thing from Brand X Portland Cement to Brand Y self leveling hard wood floor sealer.

I would hope that Brian would come back with a Hey Guys I am a roof installer and we wear these all the time and just how the heck do I go about lining up the piers for a 20X30 one and a half story cabin for the least amount flex in my floor.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

BuilderBrian

Hello again, I didn't put this on here for gain...just to maybe save some pain.... [cool]
I had been checking this forum out for awhile...and thought I should post that...after I saw that post...
I don't sell anything...but I buy alot..I guess I will keep my mouth shut....I'am sorry my 1st post wasn't some BS....but I was trying to HELP....SORRY....
A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

builder_brian

Sorry thats me also....couldn't remember password...and didn't have access to email account to get new one...

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Brian.  I didn't take it as BS.   We have so many spammers who attempt to put crap on here that we sometimes are a bit oversensitive to it.

Hang around and  you can rat the spammers out to us too.  I know of forums that have had to completely shut down because of spammers.  We do pretty good here but sometimes get the wrong impression.

Sorry some mistook your intent.  Many useful products are a bit on the expensive side,  due to codes and liability insurance.   :)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Great, I'm happy that Brian responded and expanded a little. Brian, please feel free to add a comment here or there. As I stated in my original email to you it simply looked suspicious but also appeared to be a useful product.

Just for general FYI, anyone can buy software on the 'net and be set to spam as many forums as possible all day long in a matter of minutes; it's simply a matter of spending several hundred dollars. It'll search out forums, sign up, even handle the captcha's and post a message. Just like John has revenue earning Google Ads place topic relative ads on our pages, the 'bots can do similar things. As well there are real people who seem to make a living from manually signing up on forums of all kinds and posting ads or links to a wild assortment of other web sites. Some are reported to anti spamming sites.

There is one who over the past 45 days or so, has made 51 attempts to register and spam here. One of the anti spam sites has 199 reports of spam activity from this same person since mid November, using about 2 dozen different emails and user ID's. That's only the reported number. Another anti spam site has them reported 72 times, with 29 user ID's, within the past 6 weeks. So yes, forum spamming is a large concern on the internet.

Once again, thank you for responding Brian; enjoy your time here and if you know of something interesting, something that could help anyone here please do tell us.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

w*  Brian.  Glad to see you come on board.  Thanks for the post on the roofing shoes, very well might save some one a huge mistake or misstep.  Believe me at almost 60 the last thing I need is another injury.  (My insurance file is very long and impressive.  ;))

Rick       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.