I fell off my roof

Started by Bobmarlon, October 30, 2009, 12:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmarlon

I fell off my roof! I was standing on 2X4s and the building paper tore so I slid right over the 2X4 and off the roof.  It was a 15 foot drop I landed on my feet and rolled out.  Im lucky I didn't break my leg or die. I finished papering the roof (my brother convinced me) but the next day I went out and bought roof jacks.  Just thought I would share this story and the value of a 15 dollar pack of roof jacks. 

MountainDon

Glad to hear you avoided serious injury.  That's a close one.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Careful, Bob.  I did that last year cleaning patio the roof during the fire.  I had some unsupported galvanized roofing on an overhang.

I cleaned off the leaves and forgot about the eaves.... [waiting]

For a few seconds there I thought I could walk on water but soon the tin gave way and I went crashing through my garden deer fence which broke my fall.  Boy - I bet that looked stupid.  Anyway, I didn't break anything either but it was just an 8 foot drop.  d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Bob glad you were not hurt.  One thing about cleats is that you have to keep your feet in contact.  Jacks are much safer.

Glen I thought maybe being from CA you were starting your own sport "Roof boarding".

Don_P

Glad your OK Bob.
a little known factoid, 50% of people who fall just 13 feet die. I have a buddy that will limp for life from a fall of about that distance. Another friend's helper broke his back last year in a fall about that distance. I spent 9 months in casts from an unimpressive height. Don't mean to blow anyone's confidence, because that isn't safe either, but do be very mindful while up there. I've been meaning to try the titanium synthetic paper.

jdhen

I'm glad to hear you're not hurt, Bob.  I was going to use cleats but I think you've convinced me to get the roof jacks.  I also have a safety harness that I used when I was putting the roof on my barn but the rope always gets in the way and slows me down.  Still the 12/12 roof is a lot steeper than the barn's 5/12 so I plan to always have it on and work around the rope!

Sounds like you're moving right along.  Any plans to post some pics?
Jesse

desimulacra

I also am glad you were not hurt, we need to be extra cautious up on a roof. I also fell recently.
I was repairing the barn roof with my wife. Redoing some steel roof panels that were already in place but had to be moved. I removed all the screws but one and stood up to straighten my back when three things happened at one time 1) The panel I was standing on took off on a sudden slide down the lathing 2) I realized i could not count very well (can't fix stupid I guess d*) 3) I learned how to surf off a barn roof. We (the panel and I ) landed with a whoop in a cloud of dust 10 foot down. Somewhere along the way I got creative and decided that for style points i should have all four appendages pointed at the sky. The wife was in serious trouble, after seeing me jump up she had trouble hanging on the roof she said it was convulsions of anguish and fright, it sounded suspiciously like laughing to me. ???
West Tennessee

poppy

Wow!  Glad you're OK.  I'm thinking I'd better look into getting some jacks when I get to that point (9/12 roof).

Don & Ginger Lundgren

Man, I agree and am calling on roof brackets today as we are putting up rafters now and sheathing will be next... My wife does not like me even being up on staging. I am so glad you folks that have fallen are still around to talk about it. Enough have fallen that is has made me rethink my options.

glenn kangiser

Amazon has fall protection kits at a fairly reasonable price.  A search there will find other kits also.

http://www.amazon.com/MAX-Kit-Complete-Fall-Protection/dp/B0011ZPBT8/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

I already have the stuff, but didn't put it on for cleaning leaves off the roof.  Probably wouldn't next time either, but I do wear it when I am on customer jobs and OSHA compliance is required. d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

2zwudz

Glad you are OK!  Falling sucks. It played mind games with me after I fell 9' at work. I landed on a concrete slab on my hip and side.  I had the biggest bruise down my leg and up to my butt.  The first pain I remember was in the middle of my pelvis and I thought for sure it was busted. I was lucky it wasn't. I am a pretty agile guy but since that happened three years ago I'm not near as confident about hights as I used to be.

I am wanting to build my cabin with a 12x12 pitch but was wanting to talk to you guys about safety devices before I get to that point. It will be a steel roof.

Mark

mountainmomma

So I just got done yesterday with my roof. I defiently would have broken something if I fell. I was introduced to a new method of being safe on a roof.
   On either end of the roof predrill a hole, preferbly in the ridge, but if you have trusses, a truss would work just as well. Put a real beefy eyelet into each hole. Run a piece of cable between the two eyelets.  Cable clamp both ends making sure not to saddle a dead horse.  Three clamps on each end. Have that cable as tight as humanly possible.
   Now you need a carribeaner (the ones mountain cliimbers use) Hook that on to the cable. Hanging from the carribeaner is whatever size rope you want. This is your life rope. Put loops in the rope, knots, or  tie the end around your waist.
   It's like a dog run on top of your house. It allows the rope to be above you at all times. We did a metal roof with this method. We left the run up there till we were ready for ridge metal. All the panels and gable trim were put on without anyone falling.

considerations

The guys who sheathed my 12/12 roof wore rock climbing gear and harnesses.  They were tied to something at all times, and not to each other.   It was sobering, as I had contemplated doing it myself. 

bayview

Glad you are ok! . . .

Reminds me of an uncle who dropped from the third rung of a ladder.  He landed flat footed on concrete.  The drop compressed and damaged both knees.  He had trouble the rest of his life . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

davidj

We followed the advice Glenn gave a while back and built some simple wooden scaffolding down each side of our 10'x20'.  This only took a few hours and maybe $200, but saved us days of work over the life of the project, and the lumber will be reused when we pull it down.  Just little things like putting in blocking become way easier when you're not up a ladder. We also got a metal scaffolding tower for $350 from craigslist which we put inside the structure, and putting in the 2"x12"x18' rafters wasn't too bad with one person on the wooden scaffolding and another on the tower at the ridge beam.  Another pluss - building scaffolding is fun .  It goes really quickly when you don't have to worry about it being square or pretty and it's a good job for helpers who are less skilled - they feel like they're really building something (although it still needs oversight and a fundamentally safe design - a couple of nails that miss is more scary on scaffolding!).

Then for the sheathing we bought 8 roof jacks and put 2x6's on them as we worked up the roof (using SDS screws to attach them, making them easy to move).  I'm reasonably scared of heights, but with a flat 2x6 to walk on and only a max 10' drop to the scaffolding it felt reasonably comfortable and secure.  I've run out of time to do the roofing myself, but the guy I hired to do the job gave me a $500 discount if I left the scaffolding up for him, so it's pretty much paid for itself!

glenn kangiser

That is great, David and that is my favorite way to do it too.  That is what I did on my RV Garage in the inaccessible spots and it makes you feel a whole lot better knowing it is there below if you are on the slope of the roof.

MushCreek

Glad you're OK! I had a co-worker who DIED from a fall off of a single story roof. He was relatively young and fit, but landed on his head. Be careful up there, guys!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

builder_brian

Redoverfarm

Quote from: off_grid_brian on December 26, 2009, 10:17:47 PM
These help alot also...Called Cougar Paws...
http://www.cougarpaws.com/index.shtml

w* Brian.  Looks like a worthwhile product.  Any idea of the cost?

glenn kangiser

Dave Sparks

And I too have freind who fell and is parralyed. The worst part for him is he got up and fell again into a hole in the ground. The second fall was what parralyzed him the doctor said. If you fall wait for help and don't put solar panels on roofs!
Well, unless the roof is like Glen's!
"we go where the power lines don't"

glenn kangiser

Sassy won't let me put them in the garden on the roof.... Bummer  - it ruins her view..... she is now banned from using the "V" word... [waiting]

Dave Sparks

Glenn,
What about sewing the tiger paws show replacement pad on to the butt of a pair of jeans?  When you slip you just sit down?  I sit often on jobs she says........
"we go where the power lines don't"

glenn kangiser

hmm Dave, as I was falling off of my garage patio roof, my butt was in the air.  I wonder if those Tiger Paws would make me roll over like a cat and land on my feet... [waiting]