What qualifys a structure as a shed in washington sate.

Started by TROYL, March 19, 2009, 08:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I say this with an element of trepidation:  I am glad we have codes, but I do think they get excessive.  My attitude is that codes give us a set of rules to play by.  And if we do not like it, we should think about how to get the rules changed.  Generally, the rules arise because of abuses and then there is a reaction to them--perhaps an over-reaction.

Things are only worth what a buyer and seller agree to.  With real estate (because it is not portable), the action of a neighbor can have negative repercussions on the value of someone else's land.   One person's shed is another person's eyesore.  And things get testy when that "eyesore" potentially hurts a neighbor.  I have been on the offending side of this (my eyesore "hurt" my neighbor's value in his estimation) and I am in the process of fixing it. 

I have a funny feeling that when my house is completed I will have patience about a neighbor's eyesore up to a point.....and that point is what a reasonable person would expect.

Off my soapbox....

m

pagan

Mike,

Well then you're talking about common courtesy by taking into account how your neighbors will feel about your dwelling and outbuildings. Fortunately for me I am not within sight of my two neighbors, and when I build the house I actually want I'll be even deeper on my land, so what I build will have zero visual impact on anybody. Personally I view codes as a method of protecting the building trades and creating another layer of petty bureaucracy so some clown can feel powerful when he "orders" someone to dismantle a shed because the permit was improperly filed, or any other such reason, rather than working with the person and getting the permit done after the fact. Funny how they'll do this for so called professional builders but not individuals.

MountainDon

There may be as many opinions on codes as there are codes. However, there need to be rules regarding everything otherwise there would be anarchy and nothing much would ever get done. At the same time, I believe some code writing is excessive.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pagan

Not to mention all of the fees for permits, inspections, etc. that you must pay as you build.

TROYL

Well guys to keep you updated they oked my building plans for my shed. but they will not issue the permit untill it is signed off by the planning and developement department. So another 200$ and 2 more weeks and i should have an answer. I'm Keeping my fingers crossed.