Shallow well option--

Started by Erin, April 20, 2012, 06:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

QuoteI can see that system working in sandy loamy soil- but not through rock

what you felt was probably the bit hiting a rock or large pebble- bouncing arround a while on top with the bit wandering about
lol
Undoubtedly it was a "large pebble," like what's shown under those cattle.  It's everywhere.   

Ya know, I have quite a few friends who work on gas/oil drill rigs.  That shale layer that limits water accessibility afterall...    Yet not a one of them thought himself some sort of expert when we were asking opinions before buying this thing.   
However, after mentioning our last day's progress that night at supper in town, after we'd slowed WAY down and kept pulling up dark grey chunks all afternoon, one of those afore-mentioned friends was the the one who made the observation that we'd probably hit the shale and were done in that spot. 

So I tell ya what, when you have used this driller for a few days and actually know what you're talking about, then we'll have this conversation.   OK?  :)

Until then, I'm not crazy, I'm not imaging things, and I'm not an idiot.   >:( 
And, I would have a well were it not for the known limitations of our regional geology.

To the more recent thread shift of depth, in this part of the Great Plains, a 100 foot well is considered "deep."  Most domestic wells are at 60-80.  Livestock might be as shallow as 20, though.
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Erin

QuoteDoes anyone know if I did a well point dug well if I could use an electric pump to suck up this water and pressurize this water to have running water for a sink or shower? Or at this low depth there is never enough water for that. Any well pumps I have looked at are very expensive to not even be able to be used.
Quantity of water at that depth will completely depend on your area's variances, as will quality, for that matter.  In my area, you'd never want a drinking well that shallow because of fertilizer runoff, though you might have more than enough so far as quantity. 
So far as a sandpoint and using a pump/pressure tank, a lot of people use them north of us, where the Ogallala aquifer is easily accessed and there are no rock layers.  One problem that seems common though is that the submersible burns out fairly easy due to sand infiltration. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

NM_Shooter

Quote from: small cabin dreamer on January 18, 2013, 04:39:32 PM
Does anyone know if I did a well point dug well if I could use an electric pump to suck up this water and pressurize this water to have running water for a sink or shower? Or at this low depth there is never enough water for that. Any well pumps I have looked at are very expensive to not even be able to be used.

To answer your question, you can only "suck" water up to a height of about 25'.  If you need more vertical reach, you will have to push it up from below. 

Quality varies with price.  You can get some fairly inexpensive ones.  :http://www.groundwateressentials.com/high_performance.html

Edit:  If you have a low yield well, you would be better served to include both a surface storage tank, and a secondary, higher flow pump such as an RV pump.  A luxury item to have would be a pressurized accumulator, but it is not necessary. 

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Quoteyou can only "suck" water up to a height of about 25'.

Factor in the altitude correction. Approximately 2 feet of lift is lost for every 1000 feet of elevation. It is because of the lowered air pressure as altitude increases.  Doesn't leave much depth when you are up at 8800 feet.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Good point.  Even more of a reason to push water rather than pull it!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"