"rustic" beams

Started by CREATIVE1, June 22, 2009, 03:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

In my Victoria Cottage, I've specified 6" x 8" beams 32 inches on center.  Just got comparative pricing for "rustic" beams--Douglas fir--$9.65 a lineal foot, about three times as much as standard beams.  Any suggestions?   Like the look, HATE the price.

John_M

That seems high!!

I had 4 x 12 beams made for my cabin.  They were rough cut to 4.5 x 12.5 and then planed down to 4 x 12.  They were 18 feet long and I paid about $50.00 or so for each one!  They were green however. This was 3 years ago at a local Amish mill.

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

NM_Shooter

I agree.  That is too expensive.  Who quoted them?  A local sawmill, or a lumber yard?  Find a sawmill if you can. 

Alternatively, consider boxing in a beam with rough cut wood. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Don_P

That's $2.41/BF. I can buy sawmill beams for .45/BF. How are they "rusticated"? If someone is swinging a broadaxe or adze, BTDT, the price is quite fair. I've also ground round edged knives for my power planer, removed the front shoe and "adzed" with that.

CREATIVE1

They are just rough sawn, and no bigger than standard beams.  I'm considering "rusticating" my own.  I think the problem is that they have to be graded/stamped because they are structural?  I'm looking at mills and other options now.

Don_P

Yes, by code they do need to be stamped but it shouldn't be that expensive, but it could be all depending. Call around to some mills or if you have any log home manufacturers or timberframe companies nearby and ask if they would be willing to stamp some or sell you graded timbers any cheaper. If their in house graders will do it it might be cheaper. Your source might be having to bring in a grader. Short of that WWPA or Timber Products out there should be able to locate a grader if you find a reasonable mill and you can go that route yourself... make sure you don't end up eating any rejects though, a mill with grading ability would be the ideal thing. The problem is it takes a pretty good sized mill to justify the expense of carrying the certification and bigger mills don't typically want to mess with small orders, a catch 22. I've trained at Timber Products but cannot afford to carry the ticket. Some inspectors will also accept an engineers letter of blessing. Most engineers don't actually know much about grading so take that into consideration. And some inspectors don't care one way or the other so it might be worth asking, just don't use junk. I'm assuming you have checked that the dimension, species and grade is adequate for the load.

CREATIVE1

I've done a little more shopping, and so far haven't beat the price.  May just beat up the beams myself. 

ScottA

A log chain will do wonders.

glenn kangiser

Whitlock helped me put the new motor on the saw and we made him some yesterday.  We don't need no stinken' inspector.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.