Laser Levels

Started by conohawk, May 12, 2005, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conohawk

Have any of you good folks used laser levels for site prep and foundation work?   I've heard these devices are handy for solo builders.    The prices vary by a large amount.  I am assuming that the less expensive big box store laser levels are marginally capable of outdoor work.

Thank you for any guidance.

-Mark

glenn kangiser

I use them all the time- rotary is great for outdoors.  You need a laser detector for outdoor work also.  Some kits have them- that way you can work in bright sunlight with no problem.  A good quality stationary one is great also.  The ones that make a single spot in 4 directions are very useful -as a plumb bob to align ceiling spot with floor layout or square etc.

I have a good Porter Cable stationary one I like.

Kits are getting cheaper and better all the time.

;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bart_Cubbins

The Journal of Light Construction has a couple articles comparing lasers online. They're a few years old now, but still have useful advice on features to look for...

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlconline.storefront/428436e700117edb27177f00000105ca/Export/catalogs/1023Transits___Levels

Bart

Pico

I have a Johnson.  It is about 18 inches long, with a leveling base, tripod, "line" adapter and right-angle adapter.

For the life of me I have yet to figure out a good use for it.  The book that came with it didn't explain squat.  I can figure one or two uses for it, but I'd love to find a  How-To on laser level uses.

Amanda_931

One real, one potential bad thing about the cheap laser levels.

1.  if you want to use them outdoors it might need to be at night so you can see the dot.

2.  it really is a question of "how level is level" on any--whatever price or type--level.  The vial ones you can frequently check in the store.  Set it on the floor, then turn it around and see if it reads the same.  But there's no way to do that with the laser jobs.  You can put batteries in it and check from one end of the living room to the other, and back again, in fact you should, but I'm not sure that the store--let alone the manufacturer--would take it back.

jonsey/downunder

Why not use a water level. Simple to make easy to use and you can drive it solo. Have a look at Jimmy's floor joist photos.  :D
jonesy
A reservoir water level is the better way to go. Have a look here.
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm

I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

The laser sensor will let you see the beam electronically even in the brightest light.

They definitely do only have a certain range of accuracy although the better ones are pretty good.  Check specs and decide if it is good enough -

Squaring stationary ones can be used with plumb bob over a corner then out a ways to square with-  I like measuring with the 3-4-5 method or 6-8-10 or 30 -40-50 etc.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Kevin

I used one for my foundation. I liked it better than a water level. Its a lot faster. Put in your highest area first and take it from there.
Kevin

JRR

.... on the question of "how level is level"?   One could use the "field" method for checking laser levels as was used on the old optical instruments:

Step One:  Set up level instrument, shoot and "mark" (the "instrument height") on two different fixed vertical targets ... two columns, two trees, two building corners, two whatevers .... one near the instrument, one as far away as the instrument range allows.   The instrument and the two targets should be very close to being "in line".... requireing little instrument rotation to sight both targets.

Step Two: Pick up the instument, move to a new position beyond the second target (above) ... reset the instrument in a position to shoot the same targets in the reverse direction.  Again shoot and mark the two targets.  

If the instrument is "level", the two marks on the first target will be the same vertical distance apart as the marks on the second target.

Amanda_931

That works.

Only shows how little I've worked with transits and the like that I didn't know that. The eye roll is at my own expense!

(I think my experience amounts to fiddling around getting more frustrated by the minute trying to level one once.  Couldn't imagine trying to do it twice.)   ::)

JRR

.. oh, relax those rectus muscles.  You are in the good company of many souls.

I could easily show you, in a couple of hours, how to quickly set up an opitical transit/level "deceased nougats" ... and make instrument adjustments if required.

... all because, many years ago, a very effective instructor took the time to show me.

Jimmy C.

QuoteWhy not use a water level. Simple to make easy to use and you can drive it solo. Have a look at Jimmy's floor joist photos.  :D
jonesy

Good eye jonseyhay, I didnt even notice my homemade water level was in the picture.

I went to home depot and bought a couple of water hose repair connections, and 3 feet of clear 5/8" diameter hose. Total cost $5.00 .
It took a few seconds for the water level to balance out..
One thing to remember when using a water level.
Dont step on the HOSE!  It took me a few minutes before I learned why the level was jumping!

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Shelley

We bought a couple this winter for no particular reason.

Neighbors were rehabbing a rental for one of their mothers moving here....so nicer than the normal rental fix-up.

They wanted to get rid of the 50 yo tub and tile.  We wanted to try our hands at a mudded-in shower base.  We'll do it!  No charge!

Was that level great!  Ran a line around the 3 shower walls.  Amazing.  Did we get out our 4' and 2' masons levels to check just to make sure?
Yep. ;)
It's a dry heat.  Right.

glenn kangiser

JRR, being uneducated in anatomy and physiology, I took your advice but unfortunately relaxed the wrong muscles.  My wife being a nurse - enlightened me - but a little too late.  Be back in a few minutes. :-/

Sorry - I tried but could not resist.  The mind is strong but the flesh is weak.  Okay - so the mind isn't even that strong. ;D

JRR

Ahh ... too bad, Glenn.

Yeah, relaxing the wrong muscles can lead others around us (themselves lacking in charity and understanding) to consider us insensitive or even anti-social.  Just ain't fair.

conohawk

As the original poster, I appreciate the helpful responses.  

I've decided to give a water level a try.  I came upon one, produced by a fellow who lives not far from me, that is easily operated by one person -- the Aqua Level.  It costs 25.00 USD.

The step up from that kind of money to the price of a reasonably useful (outdoor) laser level is quite large.  

http://www.fidalgo.net/~aqua/