What NOT to do cutting tile!

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, November 21, 2007, 06:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, I finally got around to cutting the tiles for the other part of our countertop this afternoon... I wore close-toed shoes this time so that I didn't slice off part of my toe with shards of ceramics.  I remembered my gloves and goggles... the one thing I didn't remember was that the tile cutter has these two little bumps about an inch up from the business end that seem to be put there expressly for the purpose of maiming the palm of your hand if you're not careful.  Even with the gloves on, when I got my left hand caught between those two things it left a blood blister the size of a pencil eraser and a little gash that stings like crazy.  It also tore a hole in my gloves... if I'd had leather gloves on, it might have helped...  So... next time you're cutting tiles by hand, wear leather gloves and BE CAREFUL not to get your hand caught in that little doo-dad! d*

glenn kangiser

I like the little 4 1/2 inch grinder with a dry diamond wheel.  It cuts it easy -- a Harbor Freight grinder is under $20.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I like my wet tile saw even though I get wet using it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Depends, Don, Depends. [crz]

I like the wet too, but the little dry one on the grinder is a cheap way to get it done and works great for cutting out for switch boxes etc.  Go slow so as not to overheat the tile...and wear a mask -- it is quite dusty.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, for no more than I had to cut, you'd think I could have done it without injury!

glenn kangiser

Poor Baby.

I guess that's how we learn.  I still booboo once in a while. d*

Homegrown Tomatoes

I have a little dremel tool with a  tile cutting blade, but decided I didn't want to get the dust everywhere, and besides the batteries wear out pretty fast.  Seemed more expeditious to just break them by hand.  I'm left handed, so it was the hand closest and under my right, and therefore got caught... and besides, I broke my right hand in June and with the cold front coming in it was aching like crazy, so I was trying not to use it too much.  It wouldn't be so bad if I just was a clutz now and then, but I seem to make it a habit.   ;D  My chiropractor is always giving me a hard time about tripping and stuff and seems like he asks me every time I go in if I've broken any bones or face planted recently. d*