Is it starting to feel like fall where you are?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, November 19, 2007, 02:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

I think it has been about 5 days since I've seen much of the sun... getting pretty gloomy around here.

MountainDon

Here in NM the weather feels fall-like. Here at home still nice and warm, but cool evenings. Up in the mountains cooler but daytime still nice and a little cold at night. Deciduous leaves all fallen up there, still falling at home.

Very nice time of year.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

A very nice time of the year here.  We actually had cooler weather earlier.  Just right now.  Currently 58.8 outside.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Our state flower is mildew, so its just rainy here, BUT the clouds are much more darker.

peternap

Yes it is....at last.
One of the things I love about Va are the seasons. When I'm sick of one, it's time to change anyway.
This summer was the exception. It just didn't want to go to sleep! ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

fishing_guy

Not up here in the northland.  Much more like winter.  Took a trip up to our land WAY up north this weekend.  19F when we woke up Sunday morning.  But it was in the upper 30's during the day.  A touch of snow on the ground and ice on the smaller lakes.

But it was nice to walk through the woods and check on the 600 trees we planted last year, and plan for the 600 we are planting this year.  Not so much undergrowth and we were able to better visualize where we want what.

Also as a plus, you don't sweat as much when cutting wood when it is cool out! ;)
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Homegrown Tomatoes

You northern folk are a tough breed!  I was not cut out for the winters in the north...

John_C

Quote from: StinkerBell on November 19, 2007, 08:40:16 PM
Our state flower is mildew...

Is the state bird the mosquito?

Here in N. Georgia it is currently 72º  and sunny.  Not much like late fall - in a good way.

peternap

I jinxed it. Back in the 70's today :(

Boy those are some ugly smileys!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Homegrown Tomatoes

MountainDon

Quote from: fishing_guy on November 20, 2007, 12:19:27 PMAlso as a plus, you don't sweat as much when cutting wood when it is cool out! ;)
It is amazing how few clothes you end up with when felling trees and cutting it to length in the winter. Then there's the splitting, if you don't have a power splitter.

What type(s) of trees are you planting?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I kind of borrowed the new smileys from another forum I'm on, in fact the one who's administrator told us about this one.  Guess I better thank him.    :)

QuoteIt is amazing how few clothes you end up with when felling trees and cutting it to length in the winter.

I'm going to at least wear some--- chain saws, axes and brush would really take a toll on the old birthday suit.[crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fishing_guy

Quote from: MountainDon on November 20, 2007, 06:15:12 PM
Quote from: fishing_guy on November 20, 2007, 12:19:27 PMAlso as a plus, you don't sweat as much when cutting wood when it is cool out! ;)
It is amazing how few clothes you end up with when felling trees and cutting it to length in the winter. Then there's the splitting, if you don't have a power splitter.

What type(s) of trees are you planting?

The parcel we have is already partially wooded with Jack Pine, Red Pine, Birch and a few assorted other trees. 

This year we added:

200 Burr Oak (for Firewood)
100 Shagbark Hickory (for smoking)
100 White Pine (For longevity and tallness)
100 Norway Pine (for long, soft needles)
100 Chokecherry (for wildlife)
100 Red Dogwood (for winter color)

This year we have on order (to be planted in 2008):

200 white pines (to fill in open spots in the canopy)
100 Black Spruce (for a windbreak in the woods around the campfire)
100 Paper Birch (to augment a couple of existing birch stands in amoungst the pines)
100 Green Ash (for firewood and diversity)
100 Black Ash (for lumber, someday)

It is amazing how the land soaks up that many trees.   Nature will get some, wildlife others.   My wife and I probably won't see much of them full grown, but the kids will. 

I questioned myself on the choice of trees since the area is mainly Birck/pine forest.  But as we explored, I started seeing more and more of the hardwoods, just not in huge numbers.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

MountainDon

"starting to feel like fall" !!

Today it's starting to feel like winter!! High of 52 with a forecast low of 25!!
At least that's what passes for winter here most of the time.

The mountains are forecast to drop to 16 with a high of 35 Friday with snow!! Brrr. Have to haul out the long johns for up there.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Here is the sad deal, Don... we packed up all of our flannel sheets and long johns and even most of the winter clothes when we thought we were moving to OK!!!!  They are in the very back and very bottom of the storage unit, of course... we usually use flannel sheets from around the first of October until the end of May/beginning of June, so I'm going to have to get tougher or  move because at this point in time I am not unloading that storage unit unless I'm moving south!!! d*

peternap

It is amazing how the land soaks up that many trees.   Nature will get some, wildlife others.   My wife and I probably won't see much of them full grown, but the kids will.

That's a good idea so the kids keep it going.
We set up a corporation just for land purchases. We have bought everything that was a good deal for a few years now and have timber that we can harvest for our old age and have replanted much of the logged areas.

Our stock is transfer on death so it doesn't have to go through probate and there is no inheritance tax. The Company just continues and the kids and grandkids have land and trees.

I would like my grand children and great grandchildren to be able to see Bear in the wild and hunt Deer.