Dual Flush Conversion for Toilet

Started by MountainDon, March 24, 2012, 10:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I see there are now several brands of conversions kits for adding a dual fluch system to older 1.6 gal single flush toilets. I've also seen a lot of mixed reviews on them. Some of the poor reviews I've seen, I think may stem from an improper install of the kit... like one guy installing 2 and ending up with the toilets fracturing. ???

Anyone here with an experiences to relate on any particular brands?

One thing I realized in my initial foray into information gathering is that most new toilets that are dual flush / low flush have tanks that are taller and skinnier than the previous generation. Our 1.6 gal units for example have tanks wider than they are tall.  This got me to wondering if that was just style or it was function. At first I thought it was simply a style change. Then I realized the slimmer tank would have greater head for the same volume of water. That could improve the flush. Would a wide tank with a dual flush kit work well?

Thanks
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

I changed out the filler - float assembly on one the other day.  The same company I noticed offered a kit for both filler and duel flush.   I had a sales associate open up the box for me and it did not look all that well made to me.  Also on a private well and just two of us.  I really did not see where it would save all that much.  Most likely I am wrong in that thinking.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Dave Sparks

We have used the hydro right conversion for 2 years now.  You are right it is a function of the tank also. Ever watch a Toto?

The toilets we modified were Kohler 1.6's and they are a very standard design. Since we collect rainwater, we conserve during the summer and really do not in the winter.  Kind of the oposite with electricity where we save and can use less than 2kwh in the winter and can use  well over 20KWH in the summer.

"we go where the power lines don't"

MikeC

Have to wonder if the older design with separate elevated tank is best suited to this due to the much greater head available?

rick91351

Ours would be apparently a good candidates for change over.  I did get rid of the old water wasters with the wide low tanks six or seven years ago.  We chose a name brand with a taller and narrower tank.  But as stated I was not impressed with the construction of the change over kit when we looked at them in the store.  May be I should take another look. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

I have one of the hydroright's to give a try.   I have read a few critiques on the fluidmaster brand about their seemingly light construction. Their reviews seemed to be either real good or real bad, but some of the bad were due to installer errors, IMO. There's another brand out there as well and I don't recall the name off hand. Saw it on amazon and another web site.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

I wonder if the old wall mounted elevated tank toilets weren't such a bad idea after all.  I like the way they look.

lobster

the hydroright works okay after a little adjustment (by sliding the mechanism up/down inside on the tube) but it flushes by push button rather than by lever, and i think someone with weak fingers such as a child or elderly person might have a hard time activating it, especially the #1 button which is smaller than #2.

Dave Sparks

Quote from: lobster on April 06, 2012, 08:35:50 PM
the hydroright works okay after a little adjustment (by sliding the mechanism up/down inside on the tube) but it flushes by push button rather than by lever, and i think someone with weak fingers such as a child or elderly person might have a hard time activating it, especially the #1 button which is smaller than #2.

Definately agree!

BADB0Y

I work at a big box store, and in the last 6 months of weekends I've had tons of people happy with the kits. 99% of complaints were user/installer error.
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

JRR

If anyone wants to play around with the concept ... just place some large stones/bricks down inside the tank ... large enough not to escape down the drain, small enough not to get in the path of moving parts ... or some stones inside a 1/2 gal milk jug, filled on up with water. 

MountainDon

I bought two Hydrorights. One with the two part lever and one with the dual buttons.
one toilet has the flush control mounted on the tank side and the button is more convenient for it, although more force is required to activate.  Note that the latest model with the green control cable can be changed from button to lever and vice versa. You have to buy the button or lever part separately. Very adjustable. Works nicely.

Dave Sparks

Nice !  I may get the lever conversion for my guest bath.....

considerations

June 22, 2012

Product safety regulators announced the recall Thursday after hundreds of people reported explosions in their toilet tanks. The faulty flushing system is made by the brand Flushmate — specifically the Flushmate Three Pressure-Assist Flushing System. It's used by several toilet manufacturers including American Standard and Crane.

NPR