Rick and Ellen's Homestead

Started by rick91351, March 20, 2013, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_JT

Quote from: rick91351 on June 01, 2014, 08:47:17 AM
Oh we had plenty 'juice' flowing back then.  Start of winter - the electric back up on the furnace and no insulation in the lid rather no lid hung and had to get some heat going for the dry wall crew.  Normal winter would have been impossible to build up here.  We were still going walk about in January looking for snow.   ;)  Cold but pleasant walking.  We only got like two feet and did not last very long.  Then the rains began and we end up at about normal per the NOAA site up here.

I still have to run the power to the shop yet.  I have electrical down there sort of.   ;D  I don't think I am going to need that big of wire going down there as I just don't see it being that busy.  Conduit is in and all but funny Ellen said she sort of figures the house trumps the shop.   

Love the great state of Montana - sort a second home state.  We had kin folk scattered all over there at one time.  :(  Most have passed on now.  Where in Montana did you attend collage?       

If you have the cable handy, I'd pull whatever will fit in the conduit. I find shops are an area where electrical equipment tends to accumulate almost magically. ;)

I went to Montana Tech over in Butte. It was a good time. Was able to get back to Big Sky country last summer for a wedding, and really enjoyed it.

rick91351

Quote from: _JT on June 01, 2014, 09:55:36 AM
If you have the cable handy, I'd pull whatever will fit in the conduit. I find shops are an area where electrical equipment tends to accumulate almost magically. ;)

I went to Montana Tech over in Butte. It was a good time. Was able to get back to Big Sky country last summer for a wedding, and really enjoyed it.

I buried 3" over to the shop, it is another run of about 300' about like the house.   I so know what you are talking about magically accumulating - magically and magnetically just shows up......

Cousin lived in Butte retired from the Navy then was a state trooper then became a police judge.  He is one that passed on.  Would have loved to seen Butte in it's heyday.           
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

I have not been doing much in the house mostly waiting on the plumber to finish up......

We have been working on the old barn lumber.

I really like what I am seeing just have to get it edged and Ellen is wondering about sealing it?   ???

The orchard is bloomed out

It looks like we had a very good pollination

We mowed because the grass was getting to high to drag the hoses through

New planting of cold weather black raspberries we scored ten starts for Saint Lawrence Nursery.

Our established raspberries.  There are ways to do it in this cold weather climate that really work well.  If you are such and want to know please PM will try and 'slain it.  Works sort of contrary to warm weather practices.  Ellen is the researcher and refiner there.   ;)

Blueberries have  woken up well.  Something I would never do again is mess with them.  You all that have the right kind of soil and all that God Bless love ya.....

We planted some eatable honeysuckle lot more user friendly for this type of soil.  And do not discount the Service berries (Sarvice)  They are higher in antioxidants than blueberries.  But are sort of weird texture but do make a good jelly...

Just because we are not working on the house does not mean we are not working however.  Where ever the blue marker is we have sprayed for Knapweed

The grove is ready for picnics and barbecues.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

dablack

Beautiful!  Love that place and the wood is turning out great too.  What are you going to do with it. 

I'm going to have a take a break from building in about a month.  Wife's 2002 explorer dropped a valve and will get a newer 4.0 from a 2009 mustang. 

Austin

rick91351

Quote from: dablack on June 04, 2014, 03:43:53 PM
Beautiful!  Love that place and the wood is turning out great too.  What are you going to do with it. 

I'm going to have a take a break from building in about a month.  Wife's 2002 explorer dropped a valve and will get a newer 4.0 from a 2009 mustang. 

Austin

Well the Mustang sounds more fun than the Exploder.   ;D  But still ---- 
My old 78 F-150 dropped one when I went to return a tape rental.  Got to the video place turned it off that was all she wrote.  Went to start it to leave and spring broke put the valve into the piston of course.   I was already POed because it fell on me to return the dang tape.  Funny I was talking to a mechanic  - Yep happens all the time this time of the year cold then hot then cold so he droned on...... spring breaks and that is all she wrote....... 

The barn lumber is going into the nook.  Ellen said I can get creative in there!   ;D     

Redoverfarm

Rick if you are going to try to seal the lumber you had better find a distributor that sells it in 55 gal barrels.   ;)  Just try to hit the high spots (planed).  At least it will not collect as much dust.

rick91351

WOW!!!  John I guess you know about the old barn wood dust.  ;)  I was going to get a photo of where I was emptying the sander bag.  But no one would believe me.

As far as sealing there is a jobber in Tenn that does sell tung oil that way. 

8 oz. $7.58
16 oz. $10.95
32 oz. $18.25
1 Gallon $45.95
55 Gallons $1850.75*
(coverage 300 to 400 sq. ft. per gallon)

*Bulk price equates to $33.65 per Gallon. These are packaged in Gallon containers for freshness and convenience. At this low price no returns will be accepted. Please note a "Drum" contains only 52 gallons, we ship a full 55 gallons.

;)

Rick

dablack

Quote from: rick91351 on June 04, 2014, 07:23:35 PM
Well the Mustang sounds more fun than the Exploder.   ;D       

Oh no.  She isn't getting a mustang.  Just the 4.0L out of one!  The long block from any OHC 4.0L is the same from 1997ish to 2010.  There are more wrecked V6 mustangs than anything else that has the 4.0L so that engine is the cheapest.  I will strip off the mustang specific parts and then swap over the explorer specific parts (upper and lower intake, oil filter adapter, valve covers, and front accesories).  Then drop it into the explorer.  Should cost about $1k.

Can't wait to see how the barn wood looks installed.

Austin

rick91351

Quote from: dablack on June 05, 2014, 07:07:51 AM
Oh no.  She isn't getting a mustang.  Just the 4.0L out of one!  The long block from any OHC 4.0L is the same from 1997ish to 2010.  There are more wrecked V6 mustangs than anything else that has the 4.0L so that engine is the cheapest.  I will strip off the mustang specific parts and then swap over the explorer specific parts (upper and lower intake, oil filter adapter, valve covers, and front accesories).  Then drop it into the explorer.  Should cost about $1k.

Can't wait to see how the barn wood looks installed.

Austin

Opps!! reread that.  You did indeed post - Wife's 2002 explorer dropped a valve and will get a newer 4.0 from a 2009 mustang.  I was just assuming I guess.  Funny we use to do stuff a lot like that up here.  Now days I just never hear of it much.  I think it is a lot of the computer controls and emotions testing that has killed the swaps.  Or assuming you just don't want to go there.

We are so needing the plumber to get in here and finish up.  So I can start knocking down the wood floor.  Then I can get on to rest of the wood.  Floor really needs to be down and I don't need him or anyone in there when I start that.  It is just to easy to get stuff messed up...... 

dablack

Quote from: rick91351 on June 05, 2014, 07:40:51 AM
I think it is a lot of the computer controls and emotions testing that has killed the swaps.  Or assuming you just don't want to go there.   

Yes, not having a good car for her to drive has been testing both of our emotions!

;)

OlJarhead

Looking great!  Only one of my trees bloomed this year and it's done now so I don't expect any apples but boy I hope next year we'll have some!

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 05, 2014, 02:25:01 PM
Looking great!  Only one of my trees bloomed this year and it's done now so I don't expect any apples but boy I hope next year we'll have some!

I have noted some of the Saint Lawrence tree sort of cycle.  All and all pretty pleased.  They are all pretty young yet to put on real apples. [hungry]  Cant wait....

rick91351

They had a lady come up here and teach for a two day class on Herbal Medicine.  Actually she does this class every year up here and has for the last eight years.   Ellen and I took the time off and attended.  Wow if anyone is interested in such please get a hold of me.  She has travel extensively.  She puts on classes for groups like us.  She had worked with large pharmaceutical companies.

We met at a neighbors home and was introduced to our instructor. 

They asked if we would let them use our ranch and creek for the class.  We were more than happy to say yes.  So off we went about two and half miles away.  From the time we got out of the vehicles.  She was instructing.  Holy cow!  Hold on. 

We collected specimens.  Learned what parts of what does what for what.   ;)

She took a great deal of time to answer questions and give good answers to many health problems people have.

Even on a hill side like this she can lecture all day.

Then we dropped over to the main part of the property and what we call the grove and found even more!

Then we returned back the neighbors and was instructed what to do with what we had collected.  I really don't think I had seen this much interest in herbs since collage.   :D

rick91351

Plumber is finished.  We did some last minute modifications on a pump to pressurize a tank hooked up to the spring water.  I did find out that with the drop we have from the spring we do have about 13 lbs of pressure from the tank to the house.  Using 1.25 supply.  He put in a by-pass so we can still used the spring in the event of a power failure.  They still have one more trip and that is to plumb in the pressure relief line in to the drain.  They did not bring in enough pipe last time.  Good to know the pro plumbers do that as well.  ;)

So with the little jet pump and 35 gallon pressure tank we have all kinds of water in the house.  High end is set at 55 lbs low 35 lbs works so good.  Actually taking showers and baths down there now.  I am pretty impressed even with the low volume shower heads.  The low volume toilets have come so far as well. 

So with the plumber gone.   

rick91351

So with the plumbers gone.......

Wood working starts.  Started on the master bed room.  Laying down the fore mentioned fir floor.

A DIY flooring guy that has done it before should lay down around 250 or 300 sq ft in a day using store bought T&G and your back and knees can hold out.....  Most pros shoot for 600 to 800.  ( That  is large rooms and long runs - trimming and ripping and stupid angles and scribing does not apply.  Those even can kill the pros.)

Me in a day and a half have managed a whopping 95.25 sq ft.  [waiting]  Like about half of the master bed room.......

Go to the lumber pile - pull a board that looks good for where we are at.  Go out side run it through the planer one last time.  Go to the chop saw and trim the ends one last time.  Or if it has a lot of defects chop it up in two and three feet pieces.  Go back inside.  Mark it 1.25 on the ends and a one inch margin on the sides at about 16 inches allowing for a little over run here and there.  Go to the drill press and punch holes.  Then go to the floor and flip flop a couple times and find the best fit.  Toss aside for a better choice do all over again....   :D  You assure yourself 'That is okay you can used it some where'.....   ;)  Manufacture another board ...  toss it aside and use the first one.....  So it goes. 

I call this photo give me a place to stand and I can move the world or at least straighten a board.....

When I get it all laid down I will plug the screw holes with home made plugs.  Fill the cracks and dings with floor filler.  Then see if I can borrow or rent a floor sander.  But I think my old buddy that does floors and showed me so much about laying them and finishing them so I hear has moved back to California so most like will have to rent.     

Pine Cone

Your place is looking great!  Love that barn wood and have a fair idea about how much prep work will be involved in taking from the barn to the nook.  Luckily you forget how much work it was as the years pass. ;)

Wish I could have taken the herbal medicine class - looks like lots of fun. My wife took one near us in Port Townsend that was once a week for a couple of months.  They got to ID and pick stuff, and then in the following weeks make medicines (teas, salves, rinces, elixers...) using the herbs.  The botany and plant ID side was part of what drew me into forestry, but I mostly work with computers instead of herbs these days... 

rick91351

Quote from: Pine Cone on June 13, 2014, 10:38:22 PM
Your place is looking great!  Love that barn wood and have a fair idea about how much prep work will be involved in taking from the barn to the nook.  Luckily you forget how much work it was as the years pass. ;)

Wish I could have taken the herbal medicine class - looks like lots of fun. My wife took one near us in Port Townsend that was once a week for a couple of months.  They got to ID and pick stuff, and then in the following weeks make medicines (teas, salves, rinces, elixers...) using the herbs.  The botany and plant ID side was part of what drew me into forestry, but I mostly work with computers instead of herbs these days...

About the barn lumber I am still in love with wood work so it is not work - more a tiring art form...  ;)   No not a wink this time.  It must be sanding dust in my eye.   

Darcy the herbalist does do more involved classes and as well as apprenticeship opportunities.  Of course this weekend was just a great opportunity to open a new thing to see if you might be interested in diving off into.  There are people that do really get in to it up here - some if it is so simple.  Yarrow grows everywhere up here.  Very easy to ID for most all people  (I have to face the facts some people can not ID trees nor plants.  Some people all conifers are pine trees - spruce - Doug Fir - redwoods they are all pine trees.  All plants seem to look alike as well.)

Yarrow - My word when it is fresh like right now.  Great  for like bug bites, crush some up in your hands roll it and roll it to get a good crush and rub on itch and irritation is gone.  Dried it is great to reduce high blood pressure used as a tea a couple times a day.  Cold remedy taken with mullein and horehound at the very beginning of a cold often is broke in 24 hours.  Makes in to a very useful antiseptic beeswax salve.  Fact she says if you can only have one herb that is it.

Do a search for Darcy of the Forest ... or http://www.darcyfromtheforest.com/servlet/StoreFront

I am not one who listens to all the conspiracy ideas and conspiracy theories out here and there.  Yet when you see the government and Monsanto and then government and the pharmaceutical companies passing laws.  Passing laws or trying to pass laws to inhibit people from growing ie growing their own food and gathering their own food.  Being bared from using natural medicines.  There must be something to it.  Do we trust Monsanto and their GMO's?  Or the pharmaceutical companies from barring you or us from using the same herbs they do?  Control the food and the medical and you control the masses. 

I do hope to dive off into this more and more in the years to come and help spread the knowledge.  We will see what happens.....       

rick91351

Well finished up another dark thirty day.  Now at about 200 sq ft.

I figure another two days getting the floor down in the master bedrrom, then will plug and fill the cracks and craters.   

dablack

Yeah, I'm still putting down 1x material for my subfloor.  It is random width and it is taking forever.

The production number you spat out is for the simple stuff and using a nailer.  You are doing it the SLOW way but it will look great!

Austin

rick91351

Quote from: dablack on June 16, 2014, 07:33:16 AM
Yeah, I'm still putting down 1x material for my subfloor.  It is random width and it is taking forever.

The production number you spat out is for the simple stuff and using a nailer.  You are doing it the SLOW way but it will look great!

Austin

:D  Oh yah!!  You are so right the figures I did spout out are for a DIY that knows what they are doing and has helped a professional a few times.  Most likely racking boards for the guy nailing and being more than a lugger and coffee gopher.  That figure yes is using a nailer and hopefully a pneumatic one at that.   As well as using store bought tongue and groove flooring that is very uniform.   ;)   Those figures are also for the guy that has tears in his eyes because of his poor back has gave out and his knees are shot but you have the determination to get it done.   ;D

I did toss this floor out to everyone I could think of.  I laid awake thinking about it.  Really was a lot of wondering if I should or should not.  Got  a lot of feed back from both sides stating it will take too much time and may be unstable  -  Give it a try see what happens.....  We have one neighbor who has a high value home their contractor used the same method in their master bed room.  It has not given them a minute of problems in ten years now.  I talked to as many as I could that worked on that project - some local right here.  Then there are several that have used pine - one in another high value home.  So heck why not? 

What you all are doing on the sub floor I have never done.  That turns into a labor issue real quick.  One huge reason they went to a modern subfloor system. 

rick91351

We are still working on the floor of the master bed room.  Plugging right now.

The hummingbirds have been sort of busy other places stopping by for a quick drink and are off.  That was until a cold front moved through.  It was cold enough it froze over on the other side of the Prairie.  Here on our weather station it showed 35F here.  (1.6 C).  Then last night a storm moved through cold - windy and a drizzle.  The hummingbirds showed up with a vengeance this morning.  Ellen had to fill feeders several times during the day.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGllXD4YQ68

rick91351

Not often you are glad I mean really glad a inspector shows up.  Plumbing inspector showed up to final the plumbing.....  I had some questions for him if what we were doing was okay for landing the wood stove.  They inspect HVAC and wood stove installs......  I had last winter talked to the company that sold it to me.  They said remember to put a hole down so we can draw air from the crawl space.  Sure no problem.....  They explained -- Now remember because we will have a hard time if you tile it and we have to do a hole.  Lot easier when you put in the tile..most likely if we do it you will be replacing the tile anyway....  Inspector said looked okay to him but not a sign off thing....  Then it was about the time he was starting to asked where the air was going to draw from as he was looking at the stove.  It hit me like a ton of bricks  ----  You forgot the hole..... dummy.... So up came the tile and out came a big hole saw....  One thing about it I am getting pretty good at cutting stuff like that in the tile with a tile saw.   [cool]

The landing at the front door..

We had a bear tearing up some old stumps on our property. 

And to be a smart a$$ Yes they in the woods....

This tree we found when we had the herb class the bear had not been around there then.  It had lightly touched the tree when Ellen went back over.  Sort of wonder if it is not reclaiming it after we were there,  or maybe a cub?

dablack

I forget stuff all the time.  My floor trusses are 16" OC from the west wall.  While putting OSB on the faces of the floor trusses, we started on the front wall and went counter-clockwise.  The front wall was fine, on the back wall the ends of the OSB missed each floor truss by 3/4".  Oh well.  I will throw a little stud in there! 

I've seen this before but I'm going to ask before I forget.  Why do people put the spray foam in the hole the wire went through in the stud?  Is that just to stop air from moving from one stud bay to another?

Austin

rick91351

Quote from: dablack on June 26, 2014, 07:28:01 AM
I forget stuff all the time.  My floor trusses are 16" OC from the west wall.  While putting OSB on the faces of the floor trusses, we started on the front wall and went counter-clockwise.  The front wall was fine, on the back wall the ends of the OSB missed each floor truss by 3/4".  Oh well.  I will throw a little stud in there! 

I've seen this before but I'm going to ask before I forget.  Why do people put the spray foam in the hole the wire went through in the stud?  Is that just to stop air from moving from one stud bay to another?

Austin

That is indeed of course to stop the movement of air.  Any holes in like that tend to become a conduit for cold winds and breezes.  I was raised in a home that if the was zero outside and the wind was blowing.  Every light switch and outlet had a cold breeze coming out of them....   In this day and age you just could not afford houses like that.....  Not to mention pretty uncomfortable........

Adam Roby

I have never seen anyone put spray foam on the interior studs where the electrical went through.  Is that a regional thing? 

From my experience, normally you leave the wire slack in the wall, you do tack it close to the receptacle but loose enough to be pulled if needed from the box.  The spray foam is usually used for exterior walls, to prevent air movement from outside to in, not between stud cavities.