Reading Material?

Started by OldDog, October 13, 2008, 03:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDog

I am sure that most of us spend too much time surfing the net for information.

What, if any, magazines do you read/subscribe too that keeps your quest for knowledge active?

I stay with Mother Earth News and Family Handyman.  It takes most of the winter to catch up on what I didn't take/have time to read during the warmer months.

Thanks--Bruce
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

apaknad

MEN, backwoods home, and there is one about home power i want to get. an occasional gun magazine.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Redoverfarm

I am geared more toward woodworking magazines.  This Old House as they had a special on the subscription.  Home & Garden Woods.  I very seldom have time for the projects although they are nice and maybe someday I will go back and make a thing or two.  Woods has a lot of tips, jigs and the like. Another reason is that I got one of mine published once in the tips section and made a little money for the time. They also have good reviews on tools.

glenn kangiser

I get some of the free construction industry and equipment magazines but the rest from the net.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I don't subscribe to many magazines on their own, but do receive a few that come as a result of association memberships... American Rifleman (NRA), Southwest Drivelines (SWFWDA, Southwest Four Wheel Drive Association), Living Cowboy Ethics (Paragon Foundation), Blue Ribbon Magazine (Blue Ribbon Coalition), Sportscar (SCCA, Sports Car Club of America)...

I use the internet a lot, though.

I also utilize my local public library a lot. Love their new acquisitions section.

The few subscribed magazines are;  Air & Space Smithsonian, National Geographic
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jb52761

A little off subject, but forgive me..(just a proud dad here)....my son lives in Minneapolis and works for a landscaping company there...a recent issue of Midwest Home magazine published a new ad for the company, and they inserted photos of some of the work my son did on a patio job...and he's only been doing it for 3 years... 8)

glenn kangiser

That's cool, JB.  Can you post a link or copy of the photo?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jb52761

Sure...I'll try...been wanting to post some pics of the cabin I'm working on too....have to figure out the photobucket thing first....get back with you...

davidj

"Fine Homebuilding" has some good articles.  Not really geared towards out-in-the-sticks stuff, but still lots of good info.