Considering used snowmobile... any advice?

Started by NM_Shooter, January 01, 2010, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I'm thinking of getting a used sled but have zero experience.  I want to be able to access my cabin in the winter, and keep an eye on things as snowmobilers seems to run rampant over the place in winter.  One of the other owners has a sled, and I am making a push to get another owner to buy one as well.  I'll loan him mine, he loans me his sort of thing.

Anyway, I am seeing lots and lots of sleds for sale... I have a price sensitivity threshold of about $1500.  I realize that these things go through clutches and belts like crazy, but that this is sort of normal wear.  Here's my main question... is $1500 too low a price for a reliable sled?  I'm not looking for a cadillac or a hill climbing racer.  I want a 400 to 500 cc sled that might be able to ride tandem.  Heated grips and reverse would be nice. 

I found this website : http://users.metro2000.net/~rmmc/usedguide.html

Okay.... any words of advice?

Thanks!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Maybe talk to Mountain Don.  As the saying goes "been there and done that".  I am not sure what kind of snows you get but a real deep snow is problematic for sleds.

NM_Shooter

We get deep powder.  But much of the area I want to ride into gets packed down pretty well.  I remember Don's sled getting stuck last year... not something I want to experience.

Redoverfarm

Back in the days that I did ride one that was a big problem.  You had to keep up the speed to stay on top and once it sunk down you were stuck.  While riding tandem that would be a problem.  I always like the little cabbose that you could get to pull behind.  We even used them to haul deer out with. 

MountainDon

That article has some good points to consider when looking for a used sled.

I'm not sure when reverse became common... about the mid to late 90's I believe.  It would be nice and so would electric start. But then recoil only start eliminated the battery. See motorcycle winterizing topic for the problems with batteries.  ;D

Heated grips seemed to be pretty standard as is foot heat.

Powder snow was our Waterloo. Powder and the need to slow down for sharp turns along our road in were a bad mix. There was no way avoiding the turns; in some places cross country was very steep and full of trees, hence the need to follow the road. Our experience was such that going in a straight line, more or less level, in powder, worked as long as the speed was kept up. That didn't mix with the turns, though.

A sled built for real tandem use is required for two up and soft snow. It is a slightly different matter if you are following another sled or are on a groomed trail.

Have snowshoes with you when you sled. Seriously. Unless you are part of a big group and someone can give you a lift. Having our snowshoes with us saved our bacon, or at least made the retreat much easier. They also make good shovels; at least our MSR's do.   ;D  Trekking poles with snow baskets make snow shoeing easier.  

Have the carbs tuned/jetted for your high altitude. Ours was a Polaris 440; the dealer on 4th (?) seemed knowledgeable and was helpful.

If you don't have snow shoes and want to try/use some, we have a total of three pairs of MSR Denali Classic's and one set of 4 inch tails and thinking of getting a pair of 8 inch tails. You can borrow them as long as we aren't planning on using them at the same time.
http://www.rei.com/product/690363
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Around here $3000 is a good used sled in the 500cc range.  But with the economy it is a buyers market.  I really would talk to someone from your local snowmobile clubs for ideas of what would work good for you before you buy.  Then after you buy or maybe before they might take you along for some pointers and ideas on their rides.  They might even have someone in the club that is wanting to sell a sled.  Around here sleds jetted for your 10,000' are sort of a problem at lower altitudes.  Pistons seem to glue themselves to jugs when rode too wide open for too long.  Just take it sort of easy and you will be fine. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rwanders

Longer tracks=more track area on the snow=better flotation and less bogging down and less getting stuck. $1500 sounds low for a reliable machine----get a fuel injected sled if high altitudes are in play for you----they also start A LOT easier in cold weather.  Do not travel alone without snowshoes and shovel plus adequate survival equipment----take some trips with experienced folks before venturing out on your own. If you ever try to walk through 3-4 feet of powder without snowshoes you will fully understand what Mt Don and I are talking about.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Redoverfarm

Great Find Frank.  The starting bid is a little high.  Glenn could probably turn out one like that for about 1/2 the money.  ;)  Talking about your truck starting hard in the cold up there just imagine trying to start that.  ;D

MountainDon

Interesting find. Last year I found a bunch of old snow machines. There's some pictures someplace here. Most that I found would be lost in powder.  :(

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

fishing_guy

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

kenhill

$1500 is slightly on the low side for a reliable machine.  I would say keep it simple.  Fan cooled instead of liquid, carburated and jetted for altitude.  You want a touring or utility machine for 2 seater.  We have a 2000 Panther 440 and a Bearcat 570 and both are excellent 2 seaters.  Polaris, yamaha, and skidoo all make 2 up machines.  I bought a battery for the Panther 3 years ago and I must say i neglect it.  I leave it in all summer without charging and it still works at 20 below zero.  I would say you should buy a manufacturer that you have a good mantenance shop to help you with issues like clutch.  Clutches can go up to 9,000 miles without trouble.

NM_Shooter

Thanks!

As with all the stuff I seem to investigate, I start off cheap and slowly (sometimes not so slowly) creep upwards. 

We only have a Polaris dealer here in ABQ.  Because of the deep powder we have to deal with (this will be back country use) I think I want an RMK with a 155 track and 2" paddles.  That is out of my budget.  I'm saving mad money, selling stuff off (just sold Buffy the 5hp woodchipper) and am hoping to find something in the $3500 to $4000 range next year. 

I'm learning a lot about them though.  Keep the data coming!

-f-

glenn kangiser

Quote from: NM_Shooter on January 04, 2010, 10:19:00 PM
I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-A-1930-Model-A-Sedan-Snowmobile-Arps-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cecdf71d4QQitemZ330391581140QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

That is a great find, Frank, although I would suggest finding a similar one with a Dodge vehicle frame - maybe a 1926 or so as the Dodges had steel frames.  The Ford's were wood frames subject to rot and deterioration, (just like the new ones-- oops - that is not right).  You never know how long these things will last... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Well, I ended up not purchasing a sled... there is a rental company very near my cabin that rents them for ~$200 a day.  I just couldn't pull the trigger on buying one after I did the research and realized what a dependable deep snow machine would cost.  I'd use it twice a season (maybe).

However, I did end up buying a new carb'd toy.  According to popular belief, I recently had one of the two happiest days of my life.  Hmmm.

fishing_guy

What size is the carb'd vehicle, and how fast does it go on the water? ???

I guess you got somewhat what you originally wanted because ice and snow are just frozen precip...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

NM_Shooter

Started out looking for a 14' aluminum fishing boat with a 15hp motor.  Shopped for a couple of months and was appalled at how poorly people take care of their stuff.  Due to lack of available boats (in the desert, go figure) I expanded my search, and the boat got bigger.  This is primarily a fishing boat for my youngest daughter and me, so I started looking at deep-V's.  Wanting to add downriggers to go fish for stripers and salmon.  I was amazed at how much a new deep V lund and a new 20hp motor costs. 

Found a 16' Bluefin Sportsman with a 1988 Force 85hp Fish and Ski in Arizona.  Had an AZ shop check the engine... the jugs measured 137.5, 137.5, and 137.  The shop owner said the motor is in great condition.  The floor and hull are sound,but the interior is sun-shot.  Galvanized trailer.  New impellor,new battery.  Bimini top, livewell...$3k  I don't have a clue how fast it will run (I have not checked the prop pitch).  Maybe 35mph?  This is small enough to fish easy out of, and big enough that my whole family can use it for fun too.   

I had to push the axle back on the trailer yesterday.  The balance was such that there was only 20lbs of weight on the tongue.  Still on the list is a new thermostat, and a water pressure gauge.  Needs a new fuel priming bulb too.  I put muffs on it and idled it in the driveway yesterday, and seems to idle very well.

fishing_guy

Nice find.  You are pretty close on the 35 mph.  That's with 2 in the boat.  Probably 25 with 3 or 4 in the boat.

We have a 17 1/2' Smokercraft Fish & ski.  1993 boat and 1992 90 horse Mercury.  Always takes 3 tries to get it going, but then it's good for the day.  The only thing I've had to do with the motor is winterize and replaced the spark plugs once.  It's been paid for for the past 10 years.  That makes it even better.

It is a great size for fishing.  We do more jigging and lindy rigging here in Minnesota.  We have a Minkota bow-mount with remote control to move quietly, and when the wind isn't blowing.

Congrats!