Contemporary cabin

Started by subigo, August 16, 2005, 10:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subigo

Hey all... long time lurker here, first time poster :)

I have been researching different housing options for a few months now and have finally decided on a basic idea. I have looked at everything from yurts to domes to cabins to used shipping containers... finally decided that I wanted something fixed.

A little background... I am 26 years old with no kids... just a nice girlfriend. There are no plans for kids, ever. I have about an acre of land that I can do anything on. No building codes at all... (I live in MO.)

This is going to be something I live in full time. I have been paying $600+ to live in apartments since 1998 and I am sick of throwing money away. Instead of buying a house, I want to build one... so I get just what I want.

Basically, I could care less about reselling the house, I want something for me. I have long term plans for this place.

I hate (always have) huge houses. Just seems like wasted space to me. In fact, I live in a 1000sf apartment and spend 90% of the time in 300sf of it. Now for the good stuff....

I want something simple, but a little more modern than a log cabin. I am thinking about 900 square feet would be perfect. I want a square house that seems more like a loft. Just one big room. The bathroom would have a single wall divider and the same goes for the bedroom. Hardwood floors would  be throughout the entire cabin and a woodstove would be used for heating.

The closest thing I have found is this: http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourhouse/factsheets/db/artanddesign/09/990.asp

However, that link shows something that is prefab and goes for like $150,000.

I want to stay around $50,000.

What do you think? Can I have something very simple like that and complete it for under 50k?

Amanda_931

That gets answered with the phrase of the day

[glb]It all depends.[/glb]

Art tile floors, marble jacuzzi, difficult terrain,  elegant windows, cypress siding, and you ended up losing in court when you sued your contractor?

It might have ended up cheaper to import the prefab from Australia--with or without Jonesey to assemble it for you.

Design it yourself, run the plans by a structural engineer, minimal equipment rental, be able to do everything except the electrical subcontracting by yourself--sometimes metal roofing ends up a draw on costs farm out/do it yourself, and you're good at scrounging, buying at auction/garage sales/Re-use Centers.

Sure.

Buy a "shell house" from somewhere? put up by the Mennonites or Amish?

Sure.  Although the one nearby has not worn well, and it's only a couple of years old.

glenn-k

Since the bureaucrats don't have their hand in your pocket I don't see any reason you can't meet your goal easily.  Check out Vojacek's project for some good information on what you can do if you are thrifty. ;D

peg_688

I agree with Amanda , [glb]depends[/glb] , if .  Ya I could,,, would I get all I wanted no / maybe  ???  
  Are you including septic system , power hookups , permits , cable . Etc .

If you get a plan you like,, tweak it ;D  Then stick to the materials you selected and while all that is going on buy what you need on sale , store it .  Buy some killer salvage, sale ,etc  , you name it , windows / doors cabs / plumbing fixtures / paint / sidng / flooring etc .  Sure you might get more than you expected  :) :)

Doing it yourself,( DIY ) you can do it if , this is the kicker , [glb]It Depends [/glb]on you to do it.   You to control the flow / budget / yourself ,{{{ when you really want some thing that will kill the budget / plan you started with ,}}

So ya your at $56. 00 per sqr foot $50,000. 00 diveded by 900 = $55.55.  DIY and you might make it , we'll / you'll never know if you don't try it .

Go for it man , build it and you'll love it . Watch out you might catch it  :o
  HTBH  ;)PEG

trish2

Have you checked out modular/manufactuerer companies that service your area?  Drywall interiors and vaulted ceilings make the houses look and feel more like conventionally built structures.  If you are trying to keep the cost down, this is a possiblity.  A vacation plan with covered deck might be close enough to what you are  looking for to meet your needs.

Jared

Unless you've already got a vasectomy (doubtful) or are sterile, at least build something that can have a loft sleeping area just in case you get a wonderful lifetime buddy (trust me on this one, I ended up with two little buddies). Always plan for the unexpected.

spinnm

When you say "loft" and "contemporary" what my mind sees is something like the Glide House.

Simple rectangle.  Shed roof.  Probably the least expensive of any style.  

Your profile doesn't give your location....but if you're in a light snow area poke around Sunset Magazine's site...or google the glide house.  Might get some ideas there.

subigo

The glidehouse IS really nice... but it is also $132/sf...

"The factory cost for the Glidehouse starts at $132/sf (USD), with many options and extra-cost upgrades available. "

That would make a 900sf home $120,000...

And for those who asked, I live in Springfield MO.

jraabe

There is no real reason a house such as this should be expensive.

If you use standard (or site built) doors and windows and standard framing. The roof is a simple shed with a membrane covering. The foundation post and pier.

Such a project can be easily overdesigned and based on special steel frames, custom made windows and panels. Then you will see prices of $135-175/sf and up.

Done simply the basic house should cost no more than $80-100/sf contractor built. Less with owner involvement which would be easier without all the crane lifted panels and windows anyway.

This is similar to a pavilion house design I've been playing with for some time. Perhaps there is a demand for this as a stock plan?

Daddymem

The Optomist - The glass is half full.
The Pessimist - The glass is half empty.
The Engineer - The glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

And wouldn't that make a nice timberframe home?

spinnm

Subigo,

When I said Glide House, I wasn't suggesting that you buy one, only use it for ideas. ;)  Then you would DIY at a cost far below what she's getting for the prefabbed ones.

And, yes John, I think that your pavillion house idea would make a great stock plan.  I've seen lots of comments on other sites.  People bemoaning the fact that there's almost no stock plans available for those who like contemporary and want to DIY.  Even seen a few comments here, haven't I?

jraabe

Yep, using 4x8 panels could make it expandable and perhaps easily fabricated by a local panelized house Mfgr so that a shell house could be done as a platform kit.

What are the characteristics of such a house?
• Wide thick flat roof (perhaps with the option of a sod or green roof)
• Decks at floor level.
• Easy open connection between inside and outside, often through full height doors and windows.
• Horizontal siding to carry on the low wide theme.

What else?

Amanda_931

Hmmm.  Are the side walls of that thing all glass--or screen--with bamboo blinds on the outside?  Sure looks like it in that bigger picture.

Sunset's Vacation house plans book has something that looks a lot like it, but not remotely glass/screen walls.

GT

"This is similar to a pavilion house design I've been playing with for some time. Perhaps there is a demand for this as a stock plan?"
I check out a number of websites dealing with contemporary housing (fabprefab, livemodern, etc) and one thing people seem to have a problem with is finding stock plans that reflect a contemporary sensibility. I'm not sure how much demand there would be though. I'm personally looking for something under 400 square feet and this is the only site I've found with plans in that range. I'm single and live relatively simply and just don't need a lot of space.

spinnm

Sleek always means modern.  Built-ins reduce the clutter and need for furniture.  But, building cabinets not for everyone.

How 'bout some wing walls into which stock cabinets would fit?   Or an area that could be boxed in with framing...then use stock cabinet doors?

You mentioned indoor/outdoor.  How 'bout doing something with the bath?

Chuckca

How bout double sided book cases and wall units for interior walls....seems clutter is what make any home seem much smaller than it it....!

jraabe

Hmmm....

Some of those walls that look like screen would have to be structural to give the place any rigidity (unless the structure is bolted or welded steel!)

I like the idea of lots of built-in storage. The condo we are staying in here at Steamboat Springs, CO has some very simple built-in options to expensive cabinet work. I'll take some photos and do some sketches.

You never now where you will get good ideas. 8)

Back to my island tomorrow.

trish2

Wish List for contemporary cabin:

1. Masterbedroom is large enough to accomodate a king size bed.

2.  Core cabin  500 -600 sq feet to begin with but easy to modify plans for larger if needed and/or designed to expand later as families or personal situtations change.  

3. In addition to SIPS capability, what is the feasibility of designing it so that it can also be a modular/manufactuer home?

4. Interior ceiling height of 9 ft or more  flat ceiling; alternatly have a vaulted ceiling if you do shed or standard type 2 to 5/12 roof.

5.  Husband says ease of contruction is a must.

It should be doable.  Remember, you can probably buy manufactured for that price, and you're looking for a simple open space.    

See how much a square barn/garage with a loft wiould cost to build.  Square gives you most space for least amount of materials.   Cube gives you most volume for least amount of materials.  

Loft would be 1/3 to 1/2 the space--that'd be your master bedroom (spiral staircase up).  It doesn't even have to be a real structural loft--just high enough to stand underneath (like those kiddy bedroom bunk sets with small desk and closet underneath).   You could almost build out of scaffolding.  

Bathroom and kitchen would be beneath loft.  To save space, no interior framed walls.  Use sliding glass doors (frosted, if necessary) as walls for bathroom (thinner) or use Ikea bookshelves and freestanding closets for storage (and walls if necessary).   Cut down on number of windows/doors.  Use glass doors instead of windows.  

If single story, still skip the interior walls for bedroom and use bookshelves/closet units.  If not back to back, use plywood/drywall on the back sides.   Or just hang curtains.  

Labor costs can be reduced if you can find methods of construction you can do yourself (which means the ability to do things off and on and not much learning curve).  See below on stone walls and surface bonding concrete blocks.  

Materials cost can be reduced significantly if you have stones or timber.  If you have tons of stones, you can build stone walls (see hollowtop.com for a method of building stone walls without any masonry skills; also a book on Stone Houses or something like that).  If you have timber, you can sawmill yourself using a chainsaw and attachment.   As contemporary often evokes smooth finishes, these may be too rustic.  

Another inexpensive method of building is to use those hollow concrete blocks.  But, rather than mortaring them together, you drystack them and use a special mortar type finish on the interior and exterior which bonds the blocks together.  It's apparently easier to do than mortaring.  You can calculate out the cost of how many blocks you'll need.   Can't remember the name of the product, but somebody here will know.    This might be a bit more contemporary than stones or timber (and may or may not be more cost efficient than framing).  One advantage may be the ability to work at your own pace--apparently you can go back and stack more blocks and more surface bond material without having to do all at once.  

If you're not into cooking, you can buy a kitchen all-in-one unit which includes fridge, stove, sink, etc. for about $1000 (but you'd probably get a better deal and look by just buying stuff on sale).  

Road access and foundation may be an expense if need big equipment.  

Big costs will be running utilities and septic.  If don't want to spend money on septic, go with compost toilet and graywater system (use water to water yard).   Heat sounds like wood stove.   Electric can be batteries, recharged using generator or solar.   If build on a slight slope, can recess part of house into hill for energy savings.  

See couple who built their own home--hollowtop.com on the cheap using the stone wall method.  

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the info about Hollowtop, Guest.  I like the rockwork info in the sustainable living section.  Heres a link to the site -

http://www.hollowtop.com/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

Speaking of clutter, I think I've got the Hollowtop guy's book, somewhere, was trying to remember how he did something today.

(I keep looking at log trucks full of logs)

There was a kind of interesting teensy two-bedroom on a site Trish had been looking at.  Teensy was indeed the operative word--400 sf range, but it's really nice to have a second room for an office or crafts or a guest.  

Tiny rooms without cross-ventilation might make a building too %^&&***#! hot.

(I got to sleep on the kitchen floor when I visited my parents in one of the places they lived.  Only a little weird.  Their cat occasionally knocked things off a half-wall onto my head.  Is that why I'm so spaced out?  Naaah, it's just too hot!)  

Here's the link to the house.

http://www.eplans.com/planDetail.asp?mscssid=&serviceID=4&refer=0&searchID=41178449&hits=24&arrayPos=24&hostURL=&tabNum=1&pageMode=search&fromsearch=1

And the Southern Living home series has a series of cottages.  One in the 20 x 22 range looks easy to build--no little zigs and zags, space behind a curtain for the bed.  Two porches, which might or might count to you as extra space.

Here's a search page for some of their smallest places, including a  three-story boathouse affair:

http://www.slhouseplans.com/exec/action/plans/browsemode/list/filter/SQFTMax.500%3bSQFTMin.250/hsgv/1/hspos/slnet/section/homeplans

This is the place I was thinking of--it looks a lot like a dozen houses--literally--between here and town when I first moved here.  Most have been replaced by trailers.   "contemporary looking" could presumably be fixed.

Floor plan shows up first, click on "front view" for that.

http://www.slhouseplans.com/exec/action/plans/browsemode/details/filter/SQFTMax.500%3bSQFTMin.250/hsgv/1/hspos/slnet/page/2/planid/21802/section/homeplans?viewstate=tot.eNozBQAANgA2

june

http://radio.weblogs.com/0119080/stories/2003/11/18/finalProjectDesign.html

If you scroll down to the "linear" floorplan, it looks like something that might be done on a small scale.  Would it be built on a floating slab?  Could it also go on a pier foundation platform?  How do exterior walls attach to the platform in a water tight way and yet allow glass to go all the way down?  I love this look.  What I've disliked about most houses I've lived in is the lack of connectedness, physical and visual, to outdoors.  

Amanda_931

The window-walls are not structural.  Which is why the design works (if it does--not sure it would for me, but then I do like my privacy)

But if you built it and decided it was not for you, it could be fairly easily changed.

I agree that being cut off from the outside feels like, uh, being cut off from the outside.

So I love screen porches, daylighting, am considering a (screened) 2nd story sleeping porch.

And a building where the main structural elements are not the walls.

(in fact the little room inside my barn was built that way, although goodness knows it was strong enough that it didn't need to be--vertical log building)

june

Oh, I did not imagine having quite so much glass, or maybe using sliding panels to cover some of it.   :o

Amanda_931

I think I read somewhere an interview with the architect/owner of the original Glass House.  He seemed to think that it lived in well.

(a 2nd story sleeping loft might help get you out of the summer humidity, got friends who are probably going to build one just for that)