SardonicSmile's 20x30' 1/2 Cottage Home (with costs)

Started by SardonicSmile, November 17, 2009, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SardonicSmile

Early last year I purchased 2 acres of farm land from my grandfather in upstate South Carolina.. And after a lot of thinking, I've decided to go with the 20x30 1/2. As I am 21 years old, I will obviously have to build this house very frugally. I have very little interest in the way this house will look when it's done - I want functionality. I've seen several examples of people drying in their 20x30's in the 11k to 16k range, and that's what I'm hoping for. I have a total budget of 35k. The building inspector laughed in my face and said "that's impossible". He also strongly advised me not to use a pier foundation.

A few differences from the original plans:

4" slab with a "stem wall" - I will be stamping the concrete and acid staining it. The slab will be my floor throughout the entire house. No wood or flooring of any kind on top of the concrete. My slab foundation is going to be just as cheap as a pier foundation, because I don't have to buy any type of flooring.

I will have a complete second story instead of a loft. To make it easier, I'm not balloon framing. Just 8 foot 2x6 walls, and I'll lay the prefab attic trusses right on top. The trusses (with 12' dormer) have been quoted $2800. The trusses are actually built and rated for living space so I won't have a problem there. The truss builder estimated he could get me about 30x12' of head room, and more in the dormer.

Costs
$3000 2 acres of land
$600 Surveyor
$100 Fence supplies
$300 Septic and Building permits
$100 Plans
$650 140ft of Infiltrator septic system
$300 Septic labor
$1300 for water hookup (no pipes yet, just the hookup)
$369 One load of driveway gravel (will need one more)
$200 Electricity deposit

waggin

Psst, a little secret:  I've heard that people around here seem to like pictures.  Even pictures of bare dirt & trees & sketches on napkins work.   w*
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

SardonicSmile

Quote from: waggin on November 17, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
Psst, a little secret:  I've heard that people around here seem to like pictures.  Even pictures of bare dirt & trees & sketches on napkins work.   w*

Theyre coming! : ) I'm just at work at the moment. I have lots more info but it's a little busy here and it's hard to remember everything.

MountainDon

I posted lots of pictures of dirt and trees.  ;D ;D  Still do.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MushCreek

Where abouts in the upstate are you? We have 7 acres out past Travelers Rest- almost to Tigerville (hence my name- MushCreek). I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I hope to break ground in 2010.

Jay
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

SardonicSmile

Quote from: MushCreek on November 17, 2009, 04:22:03 PM
Where abouts in the upstate are you? We have 7 acres out past Travelers Rest- almost to Tigerville (hence my name- MushCreek). I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I hope to break ground in 2010.

Jay
That's only an hour and a half away. We are in greenwood.. about an hour south of Greenville. It will probably be 2010 (January) for me too. I still have to get my sewer, water, and gravel in.

The toughest task so far has definitely been the cattle fence, because I cut down the cedar trees and made my own posts. All the permits and fees weren't far behind, though. : ) (and hearing the inspector laugh at me for thinking I can build a 30,000 dollar house)

SardonicSmile

Here's my land along the fenceline. I pretty much bought a piece of a cow pasture. The cows stand around my fence drooling over the uneaten grass  :P

Don_P

You can put a bedroom in attic trusses, just make sure they a engineered for the required load (generally 30 psf live+10psf dead load) and you have an egress window in the room.

SardonicSmile

Yeah, I just got back from the truss company - he says he can get me 14 ft of room. I think he's exaggerating a little, but he's going to call me back soon. I hope he's right - that's a 14 x 30 ft room.. a little over 400 extra sq feet  :D

EcoHeliGuy

I like the pic, I think grassing cows add a nice touch  w*

(tip: more photos and larger  :) )

SardonicSmile

We got the septic in two weeks ago. It was 5 times easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part was packing dirt around the sides of the infiltrator before we could cover it up.. and the shoveling only took 2 hours by myself. I would definitely recommend infiltrator systems.

I've decided to use a stem wall - about 8" above ground level. Everyone was telling me I would have water problems if i didn't.

I've also found a great heating and cooling alternative to wall units. It's called a "ductless" heating/cooling system. Pretty easy to install yourself, and the end result is exactly like central air. Each "unit" has its own temperate sensor and remote, which is pretty nice. http://www.ductlessdepot.net/product_details-type-1-0-221.html

I'm no longer going to stamp the concrete. My dad has his own stamps, but lately he's been complaining about how hard it is to clean those deep cracks. I'm just going to leave the floor really smooth and then acid stain it.

Standing in the septic tank hole

Starting the trenches

The Infiltrator system

Looking from my future house to the backyard

Looking from my future house to the road

The drive home

rick91351

Love the photo of the sunset you titled Drive Home.  Wow that just spoke volumes to me.  We have been doing that for the last several years.  We are getting a place ready to build up at a ranch we have.  Plus all the other stuff up there from a newly established 100 tree orchard to fencing, from logging to just keeping up with life.  The last couple years it has been sunsets and dark thirty getting home every chance we get.  Yet with all the sore muscles and stiff joints I still thank God ever chance I get for the opportunity that I have had to do it.  I hope when you look back in a few years you will agree it was a great time.  Keep us posted!!!       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

SardonicSmile

Quote from: rick91351 on December 13, 2009, 09:07:52 PM
Love the photo of the sunset you titled Drive Home.  Wow that just spoke volumes to me.  We have been doing that for the last several years.  We are getting a place ready to build up at a ranch we have.  Plus all the other stuff up there from a newly established 100 tree orchard to fencing, from logging to just keeping up with life.  The last couple years it has been sunsets and dark thirty getting home every chance we get.  Yet with all the sore muscles and stiff joints I still thank God ever chance I get for the opportunity that I have had to do it.  I hope when you look back in a few years you will agree it was a great time.  Keep us posted!!!       

At this point I am actually a little stressed about the whole thing, because I'm going at a pretty fast pace.. but I will look back and feel great that I did the whole thing. Most of it is unnecessary worrying that I won't get the house done in my budget or I'll mess up on the building somehow. Just seems too good to be true, having my own land and home at 21.. and it's so much to take in.

glenn kangiser

We agree with the smooth finish being better for house concrete and use  blotches of color in the top coat rather than acid etching.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.msg101231#msg101231

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

HomeschoolMom

I read on another site that a cheap way to stain your concrete floor is to use iron sulfate.  http://www.cathy-moore.com/house/stain.html
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

SardonicSmile

Quote from: HomeschoolMom on December 14, 2009, 09:04:11 AM
I read on another site that a cheap way to stain your concrete floor is to use iron sulfate.  http://www.cathy-moore.com/house/stain.html

That link is VERY helpful. I'm going to test it somewhere where a closet will be. If it looks good at all, i'll be applying it to the entire slab. Thanks!

RainDog

Let us know how that turns out, as others (me) are interested as well.

Thanks, homeschoolmom for the link.

Seeya!
NE OK

SardonicSmile

Question..

For the second floor, should I go with I-joists or 2x10's? I will be dry-walling the ceiling so looks don't matter.

Is there a cost difference?

upa

For the size of structure that you are building I would go with whatever is cheaper. In my part of the world 2x10s are way cheaper than engineered I-joists.

MountainDon

Quote from: SardonicSmile on December 14, 2009, 11:55:22 AM
Question..

For the second floor, should I go with I-joists or 2x10's? I will be dry-walling the ceiling so looks don't matter.

Is there a cost difference?

Without searching around to see if you've mentioned them before, we're short a couple details. First, what plans you have and what were they were drawn with as far as suggested materials. Then, the width is 20 ft outside. Do you plan on 2x6 walls? That would make a 19'1" clear span. Or is there a center load bearing wall(s) on the main floor?

If I assume there is NO central load bearing wall, and use the clear span distance of 18'1" here's what the span calculator comes up with...
...using 16" OC, deflection of L/360, live load of 40 psi, it says you would need to use select structural grade Doug Fir 2x12, or #1 or better Southern Pine. There are also other choices, but only in 2x12 and in the better grades of lumber.

If there is central load support the upper floor joists could be as small as #2 2x6, depending on species and grade.

Engineered materials usually will cost more. They are nice in that they should come straight and ready for use. No need to hope the lumber yard delivers good product and no need to sift thru box store inventory. Plus 20 footers are not always easy to find in all locales.

I hope that helps.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

they are really light too, and sometimes have a larger edge to nail on your plywood/drywall.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

cbc58

Looks like a great project.  I could tell from the picture without seeing the location that you had to be somewhere near ga/sc with the red clay soil.

Your grandfather was kind to sell you 2 acres for 3k.... looks like nice usable land.   

SardonicSmile

So I don't know what I was thinking when I asked about 2x10's. I just remembered that I'm getting trusses made. I won't have to worry about it. The truss guy said they will be 24' OC.. I am kind of worried about that. He says it is code and it will be plenty strong enough, though.

The dormer will be 12'. Should look about like this:

SardonicSmile

Got approved for 30,000, all the paperwork is done and we have the money. Took longer than expected.. almost a month. Looks like I have a $35,000 budget. My temporary power and water is in. The water tap was 1300 and the power fees were 300. The next step is digging the water line (by hand.. 300 feet). I can't really do anything else until it stops raining so we can get a gravel truck in there for the rest of my driveway. Two people have gotten stuck already.