Finally! 30x52 Ranch in North Dakota

Started by MTguy, August 14, 2013, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTguy

After years of lurking and one long year of lurking from Afghanistan, I am finally able to begin my project.  I spent nearly all of my free time in Afghanistan checking out everyone's projects and getting ideas.  Originally, I had hoped to do it all myself but in the end I am cheating because I will have a general contractor while doing a lot of the work myself and managing a lot of the sub-contractors myself. It almost seems silly to have a general contractor, but with my work schedule I don't think I will be able to be on the job site enough.  The general will work with me in a way that most won't so I'm happy about that.  Without further ado, here is the humble beginnings to my project:

Floor Plan:

Elevation:

Lot Plat:

The lot (Stakes are in!!)

I'm soooo excited!  I have the excavator lined up for next week and I have culvert being delivered around the same time so I can put in the approach.

oh, I do have a few more pictures of the project on my build log http://www.ultimatehomestead.com if you aren't getting your fix from the rest of the awesome projects on here.

jsahara24

Nice open floorplan!  Keep the pictures coming. 

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

MTguy

Thank you for the encouragement.  I'm pretty sure that building a house is the most stressful thing in life... besides death :)

jsahara24

Haha.  Its not so bad, it is a lot of work though.   I'm in the best shape I've been in a while! 

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Windpower

I noticed Pro-Build on the drawings

We are using them here in WI and they are great

excellent quality lumber and good prices -- they even deliver free here

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

flyingvan

The stairs off the laundry---do they lead to a basement?   If so, how big is the basement?  Also---with such a great view why such little window area for the bedrooms?  Is there a fireplace?
Find what you love and let it kill you.

MTguy

Sorry guys, I didn't see the replies or I would have answered your questions earlier.  The basement is the same as the upstairs, 1340 square feet.  The plan is a large open "rec" room with a bar, 2 bedrooms and a full bath.  I have considered adding an extra window in the master bedroom, but I think it would have to be a transom style across the back wall.  To be honest, I don't particularly like windows in my bedroom.  Having windows behind my head when I sleep makes me a bit uncomfortable.  I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one!

I agree, Pro-build is great.  I work in construction finance and they treat their customers great.  When I went in to pick some finishings they were informative, applied no pressure and only recommended upgrades consistent with the rest of the house. 

Here is an update, the road is in (needs final grading after construction) and the basement has been excavated.  I'm hoping they will be pouring footings in less than 12 hours!

I've also updated my build blog if you want to see some more pictures.  http://www.ultimatehomestead.com

MTguy

considerations

Lucky dog! You get a basement.  Around here the only holes in the ground that big are fire suppression ponds...and they fill naturally.

MTguy

Ugh!  This weather is putting me way behind schedule.  I've got my basement in (no slab) and the septic but we are just getting started on framing.  We had the 5th wettest October in history here and now we are having one of the coldest Decembers.  This has been terrible.  I've updated my blog with a few pictures for those who were following and contacting me through the site.  Here is my neighbor's tree line (kind of my fault) when we were trying to get the dirt work done.  I hope he doesn't egg my house!

http://www.ultimatehomestead.com