Sealing Rough Cut Siding ?

Started by peteh2833, August 31, 2009, 09:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

Any suggestions on what to use on the Rough Cut Hemlock Siding that I am installing on my Camp? Thanks Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

rwanders

If you like the look of the hemlock grain (check by trying a sample of either clear or some semi transparent stains on some scraps) I have had good luck with both Behr's and Minwax products-----water based is easy to apply and cleanup--oil based seems to wear a little better. You will need two coats of either type.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Redoverfarm

Pete I would go with Olympic, Semi-transparent barn & fence, oil based stain. I applied mine with a automobile paint sprayer and back brushed as I went.  Then after allowing sufficent drying time go back and seal it.  Spraying is the best application that I have found.

Redoverfarm

Pete this is what I used. The wood protecter (green can) which is oil based.  The Maximum is water based.

http://www.olympic.com/stain_products/exterior_stains/semi-transparents/index.htm

It has been two years and it looks the same as the day I did it.  I do prefer the semi vs solid.  I think it has more character and doesn't have that painted look. It is cheaper to buy it in the 5 gal vs. 1 gallon if you can find it.  The last time I needed it I could only get 1 gal.  I guess they stopped putting it in 5 gal containers but you might find some out there.

davidj

I used the Behr Premium transparent deck, fence and siding (Cedar) and have been pretty happy with it on our plywood siding.  2 years of sun and snow and it's still looking really good.  Water based and very easy to apply.  Got it at HD.

I found the Cabot oil based stains a bit harder to apply. I still like the clear Cabot clear solution on my redwood deck at the city house but it doesn't last very long (but the clear-stained redwood looks so good for the first few weeks that I can't resist using it!).   We used the Cabot semi-transparent oil-basead on the outhouse in the mountains and it gets glossy if you over-apply it, although it also seems to last well.

Be careful with temperature (keep them warm) and sunlight (keep them shaded) when you're applying them. You're only supposed to use the Cabot oil-based if the temp stays above 50F for 2 days, which is basically just July around our way!  I think the Behr needs 40F for a day.

Redoverfarm

Pete I have never used it before.  I was/am satisfied with the Olympic.  Down the road I might change my mind.  As for the turning grey that is not really an issue since my color base is Driftwood grey.  There are a couple places that the flying squirrels have stripped some of the corners trying to get at the sodium but the wood is still fresh looking in those areas.  So use your best judgment because you are the one who has to live with it.    I guess it is sort like gasoline. Every company has additives they believe will operate better.  The grey color is developed by the exposure to the elements and UV penetration.  So if the product protects against it then that is all we can ask of it.