Log Home With Many Advantages

Started by Woodswalker, December 04, 2009, 10:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodswalker

There is a company located in W WA (McCleary) that produces several interesting products for building log homes without many of the drawbacks of traditional log building construction.  Haven't checked on the costs involved, but sure do like their products, methods, and results.  The website is:

Singloghomes.com

Think if I build again, I will consider this approach.

Would be interested in comments from others, after you have checked the web site.

ED: made link work - MD

poppy

I have reviewed their web site.  Interesting, but expensive.

I also think the system defeats the purpose of log homes, that is being rustic.  This design has a real manufactured look to it.

I pass 3 or 4 modern log homes on the road that my property is on and even though they are not from Singlog, they also look too manufactured for my taste.

They are all full log systems, some square and some round, but just too uniform.

I don't really understand the fasination with log cabins, unless they are reclaimed from real log buildings.

While not being a "green" freak, I still appreciate the conservation of our natural resources, and using full logs for walls just seems so wasteful while not providing insulation value.

I know, I know, trees are renewable, but these log cabins that I pass every week were pre-manufactured down south somewhere and had to be trucked several hundred miles to a county that is rich in hardwoods that go to waste every year.  ???

Sorry for the rant; I'm sure that's not what you were looking for.  :-[

NM_Shooter

That's different.  I like it, but I don't think I'd want the maintenance of the outside.  Heck, I can't even keep my kitchen swept.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

They are pretty to look at, but I'm with Frank on wondering what the maintenance would be like. That goes for anything with wood surfaces like that. Not or me, but I can see why some oks would love it. Efficiency wise might be a better use of new materials than traditional log construction.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

microage97

What's wrong with traditional log cabins, other than needed a bunch of logs? I think it would be cool to build one.... it is kind of my dream for a rustic cabin....

Dave