Pick the right spot.

Started by Redoverfarm, October 02, 2008, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I have read and heard it time after time that this is going to be my temporary residence until I build the house.  All too often the choice building site is consumed by the temporary shed , workshop or garage.  Careful consideration should be given to the best possible house site to take advantage of the surroundings which will benefit the home owner when and if the permanent house is to be built.  The temporary residence should be your most undesirable piece of your real estate not the most choice piece.   As I travel through the county I often find a mobil home sitting on the center of a nice piece of land and then off to the edge is the house under construction.  If the people would have just considered the best location for the house foremost and placed their temporary residence off the beaten path so to speek I am sure they would have been much happier.

MountainDon

:)  Our cabin sits on the primo spot on our land. No doubt about that!

It took a while to choose to build there, but that was primarily because we had to do away with a half dozen really nice Ponderosa's to make room, and one of us was less ready to knock down those trees. In the end we agreed it was the best spot, the right spot.

If we had built on our first or second choices there still would only be trees where the cabin stands. As it is I still have those trees; they're just stacked horizontally in 16" lengths.  ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

One other thing to consider is what Becky Bee, the Cob Builder says. 

"If you build your house on your favorite spot, then it won't be there anymore."
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

True, sort of... But if you build the house elevated a couple feet your view is even better.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Yeah - depends on if you want to look from there or at there.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Ah, differing ways of looking at what's right.

I could say my favorite spot was anywhere on our mountain property. We simply love to be there. But to me the spot with the view of Redondo Peak is a very special spot within our right spot. Very few folks up there have a view of the peak from their property; that makes it more special. Most folks have trees in the way because they are down lower, on the wrong side of the ridge/hill, whatever.

So I guess it depends (there's that qualifier again), depends on what it is that makes it right.