Batteries

Started by Windpower, November 13, 2011, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

So I just started to do some research on batteries for the 28 panels I just bought from Sunelec

Kind of sobering..

Last year I bought 8 Surrette 6 VDC, 546 AH batteries (for the 48 VDC system) and I was thinking just go with another 8 of the same kind

Here's the problem the 28   !95 watt panels put out over twice the power of the original 12   205 watters previously purchased

So I think I should have at least two banks of the Surrettes (total 16 ) for this set of panels

Here's how it pencils out 16 X  $ 750 each (good price from thesolarbiz --thanks Don) =  $12,000 (gulp)

but wait the HuP one  1160 AH 12 VDC cost $ 3150 each X 4 = $ 12600
A bit more capacity since some sources say that HuP ones can be discharged 80% before damage

The HuP one batteries have near legendary performance and reputation and a 10 year warranty that is (I think ) the best in the industry

and

FREE SHIPPING (with some limitations)   

So before I cash in an IRA are there any inputs from the experts here ....

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Native_NM

I'm not a solar expert per-se, but I have some experience.  If this bank is going to be used 24/7 in an off-grid scenario, and your comfortable managing the batteries, then better batteries pay off. 

There are some guys who have moved towards the cheap T105's, because the overall life cycle cost is cheaper.  $13k is a big investment.  When you cash that IRA, the proceeds are taxable, so it really is about an $18k investment.

Sorry, it's the CPA in me again...
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Windpower

Good points NM

but if one were to get the expected life from the Hup ~ 20 years -- it works out to something like $50 a month (I know, no time value of money and all that)

Also the IRA is earning the magnificent sum of Zero point 1 percent 

I think there is an IRS tax credit for solar this year -- I need to look that up -- I think it is 30% of cost 
That would off set some of the IRA tax

Tough decisions

Rob_O

Can't argue with the math on this. At your bank size the HuP batteries are the better deal

For another $3600 you can get the 1585AH batteries. You lose a little battery capacity but simplify maintenance. After the 30% tax credit you need to get $315 for each of your old batteries to cover the expense... I'm sure there are several on this board that would snap up the set in a second at that price
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Native_NM

Quote from: Windpower on November 13, 2011, 04:26:31 PM
Good points NM

but if one were to get the expected life from the Hup ~ 20 years -- it works out to something like $50 a month (I know, no time value of money and all that)

Also the IRA is earning the magnificent sum of Zero point 1 percent 

I think there is an IRS tax credit for solar this year -- I need to look that up -- I think it is 30% of cost 
That would off set some of the IRA tax

Tough decisions

Correct - I forgot the tax credit.  Make sure you keep all the receipts, including every piece of your system.  The entire amount is eligible assuming it meets the criteria.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Windpower