gravel driveway questions, Pacific NW

Started by Mia, July 26, 2005, 06:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mia

We're building on a hill.  Next step is putting in the driveway.  It'll be roughly 300 feet, with the grade ranging from about 10% to about 28%.  The one contractor that we talked to said that we had to have a paved surface for the trucks (cement trucks & delivery trucks) to be able to go up & down the hill.  He was talking about asphalt.
The county didn't say that we have to have a paved driveway, & I see lots of steep driveways in the area that are gravel.  
Once the house is built, nothing bigger than a full size pickup will be using the driveway, which will lead to a gravel access road.
Any reason we have to have a paved driveway?  And, are there are useful links to making your own driveway?  Thanks
You can't have everything without having too much of something.

PEG688

I'd say go back and check with the county . In NW Wa if the grade is that steep they want at least a paved driveway . One house off of Chuckanut Dr in Skagit county , right on the border with Whatcom county the guy had to have a small pond with like 3000 gals of water in it .  For fire dept use .    

Other people have had to regrade the drive , use more of the slope of the hill to get below a certain grade slope .  It comes down to "Can the fire truck get there,, if needed" for the county.

I'm not sure what the grade % are and they more then likely varie county to county / city to city. Good luck let us know what you find out . HTBH  ;)PEG  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I think it's 16% max by fire dept. here and in the winter my driveway at that is too steep and slippery- need more rock-- paving would be nice.  I slid going downhill twice last winter and it's about 500 feet over the edge down the mountainside to the next road.  I don't really want to do that ride. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

If you can't get them to go for straight gravel, try a product like this:  http://www.invisiblestructures.com/GV2/gravelpave.htm

Another option is pervious pavement like this (look for local suppliers): http://www.prestogeo.com/solutions/Geoblock/porous_pavement.html (One note, DO NOT believe them if they tell you grass will grow in the voids, it will not)

or use concrete block pavers (look for local suppliers):
http://www.paving.org.uk/commercial/cbp/bsd.htm
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Amanda_931

Permeable paving sounds like a great idea.  And it wouldn't get hot like asphalt.  It wouldn't smell like asphalt either.

Another great idea is a bulldozer guy who understands water run-off.  Of the two I've used here, one did, one probably didn't.

If your local block place had a big bunch of banana or slightly broken blocks you could set them in gravel, fill with either gravel--or soil so you could plant them.  Somebody makes rather prettier ones than plain old concrete blocks (I'm from Nashville, I still say bricko blocks, from the name of a manufacturer there).

Somewhere I used to have a link to a country/logging road site that seemed to do a pretty good job of describing how to channel water so that your road wouldn't wash out.  That was a couple of computers ago, though.

For a while I did have a couple of boards going slantwise across my driveway to keep water from washing it out.  I may have to redo that system soon, the better of the bulldozer guys set the driveway up so that it didn't need them, but that was two and a half years ago.  It needs attention again.

Amanda_931

Oh, yes, and hydrated lime mixed with soil might be worth a try as a NON-BLACK but relatively impervious driveway topping.  Got an article from dirtcheapbuilders on that once.  It doesn't take much, under 5 per cent IIRC.  Soil stabilized with concrete might work just as well.

glenn-k

This is something I will be playing with in the near future - also , the adobe brick companies use asphalt emulsion at about 4% to stabilize their bricks- SS1H is available for about 1.50 per gallon plus or minus a bit.  I want to work it into the top 2 or 3 inches with clay and sand - maybe some cement as Amanda and the cement companies also say is good- lime also properly applied to clay soils and compacted is supposed to be good.  Moisture is necessary during compaction to cause the necessary reaction.

I am going to use my tractor with rippers on a Gannon scraper to do the mixing.  Water about 9 to 1 is good with multiple sprayings on the SS1H I understand.  I don't have any track record on this type of soil treatment for driveways so no guarantees- I will eventually try it myself though.

Amanda_931

Is that going to end up slippery (any kind of stabilized soil? or straight asphalt or concrete)

I really like the idea of permeable block--with big enough holes so they can be planted with grass or groundcover.

I also once ran into some kind of a plastic  coating on dirt/gravel roads/trails that at least wouldn't turn the surface black.

glenn-k

There is nothing much slipperier than wet clay - I plan on working in some sand with gravel and possibly some crushed slate on top.  I would think the mentioned products would be quite expensive but haven't seen pricing.

Daddymem

If I can find it again I'll post info on a product I went to a demonstration for.  It was a liquid that you sprayed onto a compacted dirt base.  It soaked into the first inch or so then hardened leaving the dirt as a great friction surface yet making the entire surface hard enough to drive trucks on.  It was not permanent, it eventually broke down and needed reapplication, but it may be a good solution for a temporary truck access situation and I don't think it was too costly.

Amanda_931

Might work forever for a light duty driveway.

But not if you hadn't take care of drainage and runoff issues.

I think I saw that one too.  Back when I lived in Nashville.

glenn-k

There are a couple of products that are environmentally friendly around here but water soluble so need to be replaced at least annually.

Descobond
Calbinder -lignin
Dustoff- hygroscopic-

Soil stabilizers - more permanent using soil on site
Lime
Portland cement
Asphalt emulsion  SS1H
Various asphalts road oils

Unfortunately large amounts of these all cost fairly large amounts of money.

:(