Epiphany Cottage

Started by DavidLeBlanc, July 25, 2005, 07:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidLeBlanc

Shelley

Well, you've cetainly mastered 3DHA in only a couple of days.

I've got an idea tho.  Interested in what others might think.  If one has to sub out the work as Epiphany and some others do.....I'm thinking that blowing it out to a simple rectangle might pick up a lot more SF and little or even no $$.

Everyone wants a premium for those jogs and bump-outs.  The excavator, the concrete guy, the framer.  Non-issue of course if you can do it all yourself....'cept for some wasted material.

Even if the answer is yes, that presents another problem.  How to get some architectural interest, some wow factor from what becomes a "box".

This might be another contest.  Elevation contest. Squares and rectangles only.  John's got a sweet rendering of one of his.  Can't remember.  Grandfather's?

Reason this came up in my mind is this month's Fine Homebuilding.  Article entitled "Cost Conscious Design"
It's a dry heat.  Right.

John Raabe

I read that article too. Interesting how he had everything on the 2' grid.

However at the end he had to admit that sometimes you have to do something outside the system to have an interesting project.

I think you can do a lot with simple pop-outs, window hoods, trim treatments and other things to dress up the box.

Also, decks and other outdoor rooms add a tremendous amount of softening to a simple shape.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

DavidLeBlanc

It would be nice if 3DHA had a grid... sigh.

Amanda_931

Curves are easier than bumpouts for 1 to 2-foot thick walls.

Straw bale, cordwood masonry, cob, slipformed concrete, etc.

Rubble trench foundations with stone or urbanite stem-walls aren't bad with curves either.

And really a circle has the smallest perimeter for the square feet enclosed.

Might not be terribly useful square feet if you wanted to use stock cabinets, etc.

DavidLeBlanc

Well, I'm sorry nobody liked this house. :(

Epiphany

I think it's maaaaavelous, and suits your needs to a T.  

Have you figured out what you're going to be able to do yet?

DavidLeBlanc

I designed it with you in mind Epiphany. ;) It's got a 1st flr. bedroom and also room for your great huge wardrobe - although it's got a big closet too, so maybe you wouldn't need it. ;)

I have something else in mind for me.

Epiphany

Thank you.   ;D

I've printed it out to show my brother-in-law.

Shelley

I like it very much David.  Didn't mean to imply that I didn't.  :-[ Clever. :D

Just thinking out loud about angles.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

glenn kangiser

I think it's nice too, David, although I agree with Shelly that it would be a design best built by on owner builder or someone who doesn't mind paying a contractor quite a bit for all the fancy work.  I seems that they would have to put one of their better people on this due to all the detail,  But - that doesn't mean I don't think its a very neat design. ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.