RV Strip out for Cabin

Started by Chris Baggott, February 23, 2005, 09:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Baggott

I don't see much talk here about using RV appaliances, toilet shower, etc... for a small weekend cabin.

There is a 24 foot trailer that is about 20 years old sitting in a yard near where I live.  Would it make sense to buy this thing for a low price and strip it out to outfit a cabin?

DavidLeBlanc

Personal opinion: it would not be worth your time to strip appliances out of a 20 year old trailer. I think they'd be totally shot.

I think it would be a better use of time and money to find an RV salvage or used RV parts dealer and get them all nice and neat and already stripped out of the carcass. You might even get a 90 day warranty! Saves on the problem of disposing of the stripped carcass too.

On the other hand, if there's a lot of aluminium in the carcass, that would have a bearing: scrap aluminium is in high demand and fetches a good price right now.

BTW, used marine appliances are probably a better bet: they are constructed out of better materials (stainless steel etc.) and of higher initial quality than most RF appliances.

My $.02 :)

borgdog

I agree with David, definitely not worth the trouble.  I would actually just buy new what you wanted, they actually arn't that expensive for RV fixtures, marine=better quality=more money and may be worth finding salvaged.  A neighbors cabin I know didn't have the money to put in the expensive drainfield they were required to because they didn't perk good enough, so he just put in a 1000 gal storage tank that he had pumped when needed and used  an RV toilet because it used much less water than a regular one.

glenn-k

All things considered though you can sometimes do quite well on an old RV.

I bought a 27 footer for $1000.  Used it as a living quarters while starting my underground cabin, took out the propane fridge to use in the cabin (new about $1750) use the generator for power backup (used about $1500) and still have the space for company along with all the rest of the appliances if I want them.

Glenn

Chris Baggott

Well that's along the lines I was thinking.  This place is off the grid and my thinking was toilet and haul the waste away (there is a roadside rest between my house and the potential cabin)

The stove, hot water heater, shower, generator and propane system.

I'll see what I can find as far as salvage from a newer unit.  Anyone have any ideas for links to such places?

the trailer in question looks like it is in great shape except it sits on flat tires.   My guess is the owner bought it used it once or twice and there it has sat.

glenn-k

I found mine in a local computer classified add.  Local paper classifieds also have things sometimes.  The reason he sold it so cheap ???  Answer:  He lived in a area with a Home Owners Association and his neighbors decided they didn't like the looks of the top of it sticking up over his six foot high fence.  That would cause me to move my rusty antique engine and tractor collection to the front yard and call it yard art. >:(  

Be sure to at least check out the older cheap stuff also.  Mine was a '79 or so but still had good stuff. ;D

Greenbank

Noted this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/61437027.html

For $500, might be some good salvage there, or good temporary quarters. Dunno if it's still for sale, etc., etc.
A fool and his money are soon elected.

ketdryn

I know it's been a while since you posted your question...but just in case, check this out:

http://www.compactappliance.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

This company sells smaller appliances such as fridges, stoves, etc.  Also, IKEA sells a combo unit that has two burners, a sink and a small frdige for about $1400 CAN so it would be less in US dollars.  Hope this helps.