Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

That stove looks perfect in there!  You've done such a wonderful job on everything - if I ever make it out that way, I will certainly have to take a tour  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Sassy you are Welcome anytime.

Jens

yeah, another case where a dry sense of sarcastic humor does not translate well in type.  Oh well.  Looks like you are getting close to our visit!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Redoverfarm

That's OK Jens.  I figure if it has a hinge the door swings both ways.  ;D.  The only way to do it correctly is to have ordered a "outswing" door which would be about twice the price I paid for this one and since it is not exposed I wasn't going to worry about the weather.  

Redoverfarm

It's been 2 weeks since I posted an update on the cabin.  Been working nearly everyday but from a visual standpoint it appears that nothing has been done.  I finally got about 95% of the gas lines ran through the cabin.  I would have finished if I hadn't ran out of a couple fittings.  I should be finished tomarrow. Probably next week I will call the gas company to bring me the tank and hook it up.

Installed the bathroom sink and lavatory permanently. Painted the stairway and basment partition.  The shade is basickly the same as in the bathroom. 

Installed some lighting fixtures throughout. I went with a low profile light since I was limited on headroom with the beams. 

I still have the main septic line to run to the floor, septic field to install, generator to hook up, and alot of complicated work but I am getting closer.

MountainDon

Almost done!   You won't know what to do with yourself.  He-he.   heh
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Most of this week has been repairing a few things and it's not over yet.  Started off when I noticed a short wire in the wall.  I posted on the subject which is here. http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7855.0.  I finally got it corrected. In my search for knowledge I frequented another forum that I am a member of and posed the problem.  After I got it fix this is the reply that I got from one of the members.

"As a chief inspector. I will issue a cyber RED CARD and stop work order. Not that really means anything. I will add the violation notice later. I am not at a computer with the NEC in it. This is for educational purposes only. As you know now the code and specifically the 1 1/2 inch set back for NM is with good reason. Very glad you found this before it turned deadly or burnt down what looks like a beautiful house".

Secondly we finished up on the gas line.  Been an uphill battle just getting the plumber to show up.  Started on 9/29 and finshed on 10/29 for a total of 13 hours.  That just gets my goat.  Skilled craft are so independent they could care less about commitment, schedules and the like.  There are some exceptions but for the most part I am correct.  Well I discovered this morning that there is 5 leaks in about 60+ connections. I sure hope that I will not have to wait another 30 days to get them fixed.  Yes I could fix them but I paid for the job and I don't feel it's my responsibility.  Fortuneately they are at the drops (7) and no main line leaks.  

I am hoping by next week if I can get them fixed that I will be able to set a tank and use the heaters in the near future.  Still debating about the outside line from the tank to the cabin.  It is not that long of a run but I don't want black iron on the outside.  I will have a drop for teh generator midways to the cabin.  Maybe the gas company can come up with something.  

Mike 870

I hear you about the plumber.  I had a cracked nut on my main valve entering my house, and my shower knob was jammed up.  I paid $40 to the county to get my water turned off at the street, and took a half day from work, and the guy never showed.  This guy had already been to my house to give a quote and collect a $60 service fee.  Wouldn't answer his phone, no courtesy call or anything.  Finally after another half day and another $40 to shut the water off I get it fixed by a different guy.

considerations

What brand  and size ofPropane heater did you decide to get?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: considerations on November 02, 2009, 01:56:19 PM
What brand  and size ofPropane heater did you decide to get?

What I got was Eskabe.  3-20,000 and 1-10,000.  I am not sure exactly how they will work as I haven't gotten them hooked up to the gas yet. BTW I did finally get all the leaks discovered and it is holding 80# of air pressure.  I called the gas company and they are 5-6 tanks installations behind so it may be a while before mine. 

On a similar note.  The guy who installed my lines used pipe dope (which I purchased).  He said that he normally used teflon tape (yellow) and hardly ever has any leaks in installation. 

Work on the cabin has been steady. No real earth breaking things just installing lock sets, started trimming out the exterior window, did some more minor plumbing ( Island Sink w/no vent stack).

I took out some time off in the afternoon to get in some wood that I had cut and split earlier.   This should be the last of it.  I will be pretty much set for next winter.  Not real sure about this one coming up.  Might have to find some standing dead stuff to accompany what I have.  That is an understatement.  I still do not have any firewood for the cabin though.  I had better get busy one of these days (real soon).

Here is a picture of some serious BTU's.  It is just about all that I want to haul with the trailer and the roads that I have to haul it from.  This is the second load in two days.

MountainDon

Nice bunch of fuelwood. 

FWIW, I have had better success using teflon pipe dope/paste than the teflon tape. I used both on the plumbing and gas piping in our cabin. The only threaded fitting that had a leak was one of the water connectins at the shower. One I used tape on.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Majority of the week has been spent on trimming out the windows and doors on the exterior.  So far I have gotten 3 windows and two doors.  I still have 9 windows remaining.  Two of which will require scaffolding for the loft area.  The remaining 7 will be slow going as they are adjacent to the log walls.  I have it in my mind how I will accomplish it.  My plan is to cut a kerf in the log wall to accept coil stock which I will break and overhang the trim board on the top portion then followup with caulking to seal the kerf and coil stock.  If it is feesible I would like to cut the kerf with a slight degree so that the water will not run into the log wall if possible.  I will continue to use "grace membrane" to seal the area between the rough framing and the window itself.  Will see how it goes.  I used Grace on the ones that I already did. 

With the temps in the mid 20'sF in the AM I found another use for the wood cookstove. I precut the grace to length and roll them up and place them into the warming oven on a sheet of tin foil.  When I get them out they are very pliable and the sealant is re-juvinated making for a easy adhesion.

Here is a couple pictures of the windows and door that I have done.  The white around the door is clear caulking that hasn't cured.  Excuse the mess on the front porch.  Since the majority of the interior is finished I lack a staging area for lumber and scraps.  But I guess being from WV that is probably a normal look. ;D

Redoverfarm

Well the last couple of days were spent on odds & ends inside the cabin. Installed a few locks, roughed in the main sewer/drain line to the 4" in the floor and installed a few more lights.  Two in the basement were auction items.  They were made as a light kit for a ceiling fan with a schoolhouse globe.  I bought a case of 12 for $10.  A little miodification to the base (drilled an extra hole) and they bolt right up to a 3-1/2" square box. So minus a 12' piece of 14/2 wire, two 60 watt bulbs and two metal boxes I have a total of $1.66 in them.

The last couple of days we were catching the spin-offf of Ida and it has rained the complete time.  Somewhere between 2-4" of rainfall.  On Tuesday I started making the drip edge and installing it on the windows.  Coil stock and a metal break I borrowed from a contractor friend. Then the rain started.  I did manage to get 5 windows done.  The log walls were the worst to figure out.  I set my circulat saw at 15 deg and cut a 1/2" kerf in  the log just above the window trim.  I really hated to cut into the logs but I guess it was necessary and probably minor to what they have endured over the past 100 years or so.  Then I made the drip edge out of the coil stock and inserted one edge in the saw kerf, caulked and bent the other 90 deg to the face of the trim.

Here are a few pictures of the log wall window.

karnf

Sorry for all your rainfall and delays you are encountering with Ida. I live in Maryland and was enroute
to western Maryland to finish my siding and got held up with the drenching rain. Imay have to go
out tomorrow to close up the exterior siding before the snow season starts(chance of snow tonight..
ouch!).
I'm sorry if you have already mentioned but what is the color and brand you used on your trim and
board and batton for it is perfect for blending in with the tree and nature?
I have to say you have one of the nicest cabins on this site and I just love your front door. Medival
and rustic all rolled into one. Keep up the great work and photos coming!

Redoverfarm

karnf

Hows the cabin in Garrett Co.  I think the last time I had talked to you about it I had mentioned using Advantex for the floor decking.  Need to get some "eye candy" (pics)of the cabin.  Yes it is that time of the year for snow in that area.  We really need the rain so I will not complain about getting it only that it restricts the outside work some. Our snowfall is not much behind yours. 

The stain is Olympic, Semi-transparent oil based.  The color is "driftwood".  It was actually about the closest I could come to the log shades. I have strived to make it as inconpicuous as possible without painting it camoflauge. ;D.  The roof color is Antique brown or burnished slate which also sort of blends toward the stain and the logs.   

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=194622-86-79250A/01&lpage=none

Thanks for the kind words. 

karnf

I will be going up soon and have been putting together a collage of pics and will start posting soon
once I can get the exterior done. I am using 1x6 spruce fence boards for the exterior which I got for
free but had to take apart the panels and cut off the bad ends which were buried in mulch on the
property of the guy who gave them to us. My wife separted the panels, pressure washed and stained
the boards with a cedar stain we already had. You can still see some areas where the 2x4 boards held
the panels together but it really doesn't look that bad. The only cost for the exterior was the gas and
electric used for pressure and compressor for the paint sprayer. We do have a green metal roof and door
but I probably will restain with the color you have next year. I really was looking for exactly your color but
we had this fence stain free and wanted to get it done fast. We sprayed them at home and brought the
boards which are PT to the lot site. The only setback is that I put the boards on the building which was
7'6" high and still had about 3' left to the roof. What I had to do was to had 2x4 furring strips on the top
part and I split the fence board in two and used one 7' 6" underneath the first level. I did add insulation
very thin underneath the siding.
I am going back to finish the top section of the 12' sides (front and back). I was going to add windows
there for one side will have a loft but decided to come back and put them in when winter subsides and
I will have time to put in more light. I may put the board and batton look or just leave the the boards
with no strip for the boards are older and won't shrink much. I also went with this design so that the ends
of the boards will be exposed that the water can just run off without the trim which may hold in water.
Also it was a question of not having much money to finish the exterior and got 18 panels of pressure treated
spruce boards for free and felt that if the boards don't last I can always change them at a later date.
But I have to tell you that the boards after cleaning are in great shape especially after the stain was added.
It is amazing what you can get free on craigslist for I got a free harvester woodstove, exterior boards for
decking and interior framing boards and a little bit of insulation. I keep finding deals all the time so you'll
take a look.
On the flooring, I have already installed the advantec on the framing and floor which is really sturdy. I
plan on using advantec for the loft flooring also.
Sorry for not posting pics along the way but I have had a hard time getting over there and am now pressed
for a deadline with the weather and the HOA.
Thanks for inquiring.

Redoverfarm

I guess now I can say that I am totally finished with scaffolding.  I finished the windows today.  Actually I had finished Friday but in retrospect I decided to do the two bedroom windows drip edge on the top of the windows. Originally I had just caulked between the window exterior framing trim and thought it would be OK.  Then the more I thought about it decided that since I had the metal brake and scaffolding WHY NOT.  I am sure that the original version would have sufficed but I feel better with the metal.  I basicly saw kerfed above the window to except the flashing edge, installed and then caulked the seam.  So with the original caulking and the metal flashing and then re-caulked it sort of doubles the guarantee.  If it leaks now at least that I know that I did my best and will just have to address it when the time comes.

Here is the before and after.

So then onto other weather proofing.  I started sealing up the log wall corners with clear caulking.  I was really pleased at how little the mortar chinking had shrunk.  I had just glanced at it periodically but never really closeup.  The picture shows the corner intersection of the log wall and the chinking.  I went ahead and caulked that intersection anyway.  This may eliminate any air infiltration to the inside and maybe disregard on caulking the interior wall corners.  I guess I will find out on a cold windy day with the aid of a candle flame just how tight it will be.  I am sure that it is probably a little better than the original chink ( horsehair, mud , sawdust, sticks, rocks and the like that was used).  Not pictured is the intersection of the log wall and the board and batten wall.  Although I tried to keep the scribing fairly close there were some locations that needed attention.  I used foam backer rod forced it into the openings and then caulked that joint.

Redoverfarm

Hooray.    :)  

I am completely finished with the outside of the cabin.  At least for now.  I lacked a few batten strips which were left off so I could install the two rear exterior doors (pictured in an earlier post ).  A little chilly to be staining and they were not competely dry before I nailed them up but they will just dry on their own in their good ol time.  I still have two large decks to build but that will just have to wait til spring.  

I also moved all the tools from the first floor to the basement to my equipment trailer (4X8 tag along).  I used this in the beginning stages of construction when I had to haul my tools from the house to the cabin on a daily basis.  It's been parked in the basement once I got locked doors.  I don't think they will all fit.  I have picked up several since I started and it has almost completely filled up the trailer.  

So in essence I have the stairs to build, buy and install 4 fans/lights and that will finished the first floor.  Still have cabinets to build for the loft bathroom and install the sink and toilet and thats about it.  I don't really count installing the frigerator or range of which I still have to purchase. Moving right along.

ScottA

Congrats John. Finished is a nice word about now. I'm right behind you.

TexstarJim

Absolutely beautiful, no doubt about it....... and congratulations on finishing the exterior John, a job well done! :)
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

Redoverfarm

Well I told a little white lie.  Not really.  I said I was finished with the scaffolding but I forgot that I had to use it today to install the living room fan/light.  The peak of the ceiling is 17&1/2 feet above the floor.  I thought it would be much easier than battling a extension ladder.  Even with the scaffolding it took me nearly all day on 1 fan and wiring the threeway switches on the first floor and loft landing.  Of course some of the time was setting up and tearing down the scaffolding.  

And yes I am working on a Saturday.  That's something I usually try not to do since I work there the majority of the week but I missed a day that my mother had surgery and I am playing catch-up.  Besides the DW went for annual X-mas shopping.  I would rather climb around on scaffolding that do that.  ;D

Yesterday I installed two fan/lights in the loft room.  I know that sounds like a long time for just two fans but each of the mounting bases had to be altered/modified to work in the peak of the 10/12 ceiling.  They are just a tad low (just a little over 6') but I could not find any 24" fans that I liked or would look half decent. The bases are meant to be mounted on a ceiling box at 45 degree.  But by doing so I could not get to the trim ring screws to finish it off. So I re-drilled then to set with the ridge run.  Anyone considering a ceiling fan to that pitch might consider this or build out the flat portion of the ceiling peak to except the convientioned mounting.  

Here is a picture of the living room light/fan. Note the 6' down rod.  That gets the light closer to the area needed and is not blocked by the beams.

Another angle showing the fireplace chimney behind.

Even another angle from the loft area looking down. Don't even say anything about the dust on the top of the beams.  That will get taken care of since the majority of the dust making buisness is finshed on the main floor.

Here is a couple pictures of the loft fan/lights which are identical for each loft room.

TexstarJim

I didn't realize you had added more pics or I woulda jumped in here immediately and tell you what a great job you've done red.  Installing ceiling fans at that height, especially without a helper is an all day deal and very tedious work.  You've done well pilgrim......  :)
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

MountainDon

Looking very nice John. When's the housewarming?   :D

glenn kangiser

It's great that you could get those two old log cabins back into another several hundred years service, John. 

I remember what they were when you got started on this project.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn it has been a great adventure.  It is not quite finished but the end is alot closer now.

In the beginning

Don I was hoping by Christmas but that was unrealistic.  I would say by spring for sure. If I wanted to run strickly by genset it wouold be alot closer but I have my mind set on battery bank and inverter.  Might seek a little professional guidance from you and glenn on that one. I will let you know so you can mark it on your calender and plan to attend. ;D

Jim yes it does dress up the interior and provides some realistic function. Although I have noticed in the summer if I leave the doors and windows closed it stays comfortable. But it might help circulate the warm air that escapes to the ceiling in the winter to warm your feet some more.