Solar Roof

Started by Redoverfarm, May 17, 2010, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Maybe some have ran across this before but it is very interesting concept.  Not sure what kind of price tag $$$ it comes with but for someone who is totally going for the off grid approach this might be an alternative.

http://www.futureroof.com/solar/

glenn kangiser

Looks good - expensive I bet.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Wouldn't that be great if there was a technology that could bring the price down to propanel!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

davidj

I'm guessing this is just regular standing seam metal with the Unisolar flexible panels applied.  I was thinking about using them for my roof but apparently they are more expensive.  Also the power per unit area is much lower - I would have had to cover most of the South side of my roof to get the same power as the 8x175W panels that was my alternate plan, including the lower areas which get less Sun.

Dave Sparks

Did not spend much time looking at this latest version but the last one had series cell connections and there were "way more" than I would even think about making inside a cool attic. And yea, it looks expensive and you still have to go up on a roof. What happens when you mix a PV warranty with a standing seam roof. Can't you just paint it on?
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

Like the website name indicates.... masybe sometime in the future.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I just want solar pv  paint....
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ChuckinVa

It said ROI of 10 years. I think that is pretty good for solar.
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Phssthpok

Sunelec has Uni-solar roofing for less than $1.50/watt. ;)

Dave Sparks

Quote from: Phssthpok on May 20, 2010, 08:26:19 PM
Sunelec has Uni-solar roofing for less than $1.50/watt. ;)

And maybe they have improved,  BUT..................

powerbuoy

@ Dave Sparks:

I looked at the Sunelec products, they are very low in terms of pricing. Have you had
bad experience with their service?

All the best,

Frank Geiser

Phssthpok

Quote from: powerbuoy on June 21, 2010, 08:59:00 AM
@ Dave Sparks:

I looked at the Sunelec products, they are very low in terms of pricing. Have you had
bad experience with their service?

All the best,

Frank Geiser

I know this wasn't directed at me but I have, personally, purchased from Sunelec, although I was fortunate enough to be able to pick my panels up in person instead of having them shipped.

That said, while the 'store front' (such as it is) seems rather cluttered and disorganized, this belies the seriousness with which they do business. I showed up unannounced to buy 12 panels, and they immediately had someone there to help me out (like a bell-hop in a fancy hotel). Since I was paying in cash they even cut me a minor discount (I think it was about 4 cents/watt) which just about paid for the gas to make the round trip to Miami from where I was staying at the time.

When I picked up the panels from the warehouse, and inquired about buying a couple of carrying handles for my batteries, the guys at the warehouse just GAVE me a pair. I realize that the $10-ish for a pair of carry handles isn't much of a freebie when dealing with (relatively) high dollar items like they do, but I count it as a big plus on the customer service side. [cool]

Dave Sparks

I would say in the second decade now of dealing with them that as long as you have time to remind them, check on them, and ship back occasional damaged goods, they have good prices. I can't reccomend a customer because they reflect on me. I would really like to be as close as you to them.  I feel they would be better. They are a huge business that can be slow on e-mail and unavailable on the phone. :(

Physically Inspect every single thing before you let the driver go!!!!!!!!!!!