CABO 1995

Started by MarkAndDebbie, May 19, 2007, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAndDebbie

It seems my building standard is CABO 1995 one and two family dwelling code with about one page of typed amendments. I had intended to do a pier and beam foundation. I called the inspector and asked about it. He didn't know what I meant. I explained it to him. He said "no, it must be an enclosed crawlspace." I am thinking I could enclose it, but I am not sure that it would be excepted anyway. The 'Debbie' part of MarkAndDebbie does not want any friction with the inspector (she is more wise than I).

So we are now discussing subbing out either a crawlspace (poured or block) or a slab. I hadn't really given it much thought because I assumed we could do the piers. Thoughts? That question might should be another thread. I'll first search the forum.

This takes me to the second question. Would it be worth me getting a copy of the code they are using? I am not sure asking my inspectors about anything non-standard is going to be helpful. Is it readable/helpful? They say on the website they have copies for sale. When I went by they said they don't sell copies. Does it seem odd to anyone that they are using standards from 12 years ago? It may be an advantage to me (steeper stairs etc).

Thanks,
Mark

glenn kangiser

Does he mean concrete or post and pier with treated plywood skirting?  That could still give you an enclosed crawlspace.

Code books are pretty dry reading, but can be useful.  You may have to do a used book search for one that old.  Many times the local college bookstores have the codes that are used locally.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

I would suggest going in for a "presubmittal" review. Show them the different forundation plan options. I don't think the CABO code disallows a well built pier and beam foundation.

Many inspectors remember only the old foundations done in the 20's and 30's.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

You could also try your public library for the code book. They usually have them, not sure if they'd keep that old, and they are usually reference only (in library use)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MarkAndDebbie

Thanks MntDon. My library (<2 years old) is closed due to water damage for a few months. According to the card catalog they have a copy. I went to the next town over - their card catalog has it as well. They threw it out recently :'(. I read up on the 2000 version instead.

It seemed from what I read that all of GA should be on a newer standard. I think I'll get clarification and "presubmittal" review.

Thanks.