siding: "squared log" rough lumber with "Chinking"

Started by sharbin, February 03, 2009, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharbin

Hello guys,

I can't wait for spring to start installing the siding on my cottage. In preparation for that, I was looking for type of siding that resembles a log siding but using squared rough lumber installed horizontally with gap between them that is filled with "Chinking" material. Did anyone did that or knows about it, how to do that, from where to get it (i.e. saw mills, lumber yards, etc.), etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sharbin

Redoverfarm

sharbin This will get you the similar look without the problem of chink. 

http://www.octagonhomes.com/logsiding/

John_C

Redoverfarm,

That a hoot that you picked that site :)   
He is right up the road from me.  Our names are so close in the phone book that I used to get calls for him, if people were looking up the number in haste.

Don_P

I've attached a picture of barn siding with chink. I was being
cheap, the chinking runs about $150/ bucket so I made the chink joint
about 3/4" wide. I think it would look better if it was a bit wider.
It took about 1/2 bucket to do 1 side ~10' tall by 24' long at that
width. I used Weatherall 1010 it takes my heavy handed trowelling better.

The typical 2x6 frame wall on this barn was sheathed in 1/2" thick osb then the siding was applied by
screwing through the osb from the inside, into the back of the 5/4 siding
so no fasteners would show in it. The corners and trims were nailed
on.

The siding was "hewn" using a power planer, or rather using up a power planer. I removed the front shoe and ground the blades to have rounded corners and then planed the rough sawn wood with hewing motions.

sharbin

Thanks Dan_P, this is what I was looking for. Few questions though:

1- What type of wood did you use?
2- did you order it from a saw mill or a lumber yard?
3- what type of stain did you use on the wood?
4- what size of wood did you use?
5- Is behind the chinking material the osb or is each piece of wood grooved and extends behind the chink?
6- for fastening it to the OSB, does it hold well by just nailing/screwing it from inside?

Many thanks,

Sharbin

Don_P

The wood is eastern white pine that I sawed to 1-1/4"x 8" then dried and "hewed". The osb is wrapped with tarpaper ane the square edged boards were screwed on from the backside. The chinking was applied over either "grip strip" backer rod or ordinary white beadboard styrofoam sheets cut to fit with a razor knife. The stain was a Lowe's cheapo transparent, not real good. Screwing to well attached osb has worked for me. I've done it on 40 or 50 houses since the early 90's with no problems.

Going through the framing and sheathing from inside to out I've used "oly" screws to attach up to 5" thick log accents. This type of siding should have porches or generous overhangs, you're basically depending on a glorified caulk joint. On the plus side log siding in this technique is only one possibility. You could do about any pattern and combination of colors, leaving a joint and chinking between the pieces. That could make a pretty cool wall. A tree silouette inserted into log siding or half a tree projecting from the wall with a limb holding a bird feeder for that matter  :D.

Joel in Alaska

Nice rustic look Don!  Bet that was a lot of work but well worth it.