Ripping Logs & Portable Mills

Started by Oljarhead, October 05, 2009, 06:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oljarhead

Just curious if any of you have ripping chains on your chain saw or use a portable mill.

I'd like to rip some logs for stairs, benches and other items and was thinking about this (better to use stuff from the land that I need to cut down anyway right?).

Also, have any of you seen or used the portable mills that use a saw with a rip chain vs. a normal bandsaw type?

Thanks
Erik

poppy

Erik, I use an Alaskan mini mill with my chain saw.  I bought a ripping chain with it but haven't used it yet.  So far have just used the standard chain.

I'm using an Echo 670 saw and it is just barely big enough.  I have a couple of pics. in my build thread (Poppy's 16x16 timberframe cabin)

Others on here have more experience and they use bigger saws.

Redoverfarm

OlJarhead I have used an Alaskan Saw Mill with a Husky 61 (20" bar).  Although it preformed fairly well I wouldn't use it but for occassional use.  I used mine to cut 14' & 20' logs to allow the first course to sit on a foundation deck.  The chain was about twice the cost of a regular cross cut chain.  This was my only option as most mills would not cut the log for fear of nails.  If I had new timber I would opt to have a mill saw to my demensions and if you were after the distressed look that could be achieved later by yourself.

I know Peternap has used one several times and maybe he will pick up on your post and comment.

Frankly I could not imagine building a house and ripping lumber in this fashion to use.  But that's just me. Maybe in the deep artic region where there was not a mill available maybe. But I doubt it. ;D

glenn kangiser

I have a Wood Wizard bandsaw mill.  Lots of wood has been cut on it.  A friend has the Alaskan but it is a lot of work.

I recommend a bandsaw if doing a lot of cutting.  I like the hand push one as you can feel the working (sharpness ) of the blade rather than having power pull it through.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

curlewdave

I use a Woodmizer bandsaw mill, along with a Suzuki 4-wheeler and a small log arch to skid my logs to the mill.  Since I'm a little old guy I only cut 500-600 bf/day.  By the time I skid the logs , mill them, pile the trimmings, recut the flitches, stack and sticker the boards, well, it's Miller time.  I just cut 1600 bf of red cedar this weekend into 1 x's, 2 x's and some 4x4, 4x6 and 4x8's.  A great hobby for me.  I might erven figure out what to do with the lumber some time!!  Cut some big old growth cedar for a guy last year,  the biggest being a bunch of 2x18" x16' long..I asked him what he planned on doing with the.  His reply, "Don't know, but it'll be fun".....Can't say enough good things about a good bandsaw mill.

Oljarhead

Quote from: curlewdave on October 06, 2009, 09:38:15 AM
I use a Woodmizer bandsaw mill, along with a Suzuki 4-wheeler and a small log arch to skid my logs to the mill.  Since I'm a little old guy I only cut 500-600 bf/day.  By the time I skid the logs , mill them, pile the trimmings, recut the flitches, stack and sticker the boards, well, it's Miller time.  I just cut 1600 bf of red cedar this weekend into 1 x's, 2 x's and some 4x4, 4x6 and 4x8's.  A great hobby for me.  I might erven figure out what to do with the lumber some time!!  Cut some big old growth cedar for a guy last year,  the biggest being a bunch of 2x18" x16' long..I asked him what he planned on doing with the.  His reply, "Don't know, but it'll be fun".....Can't say enough good things about a good bandsaw mill.

Curlew WA?  Sounds close to me (relative terms)...

I saw the Alaskan but wondered if it was really worth it -- I also wondered if MountainDon used a ripping chain in his work making steps?

I'd prefer a bandsaw mill and quite honestly have no idea what I'll do with it yet *snicker* just have a lot of trees I should cut down (dead/dying etc) to clean up my 20 acres and was thinking this would provide a good way to use them.

MountainDon

No, I simply used a standard chain, nice and sharp, and eyeballed the log to cut the gazebo and shed steps.

Most of the trees we thinned were too small to be bothered with trying to cut them into boards or planks.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

emcvay

Quote from: MountainDon on October 06, 2009, 11:10:45 AM
No, I simply used a standard chain, nice and sharp, and eyeballed the log to cut the gazebo and shed steps.

Most of the trees we thinned were too small to be bothered with trying to cut them into boards or planks.

Thanks Don -- I was very curious since I'd found that logs I'd tried to rip didn't like it...maybe too hard or the chain was dull?  Who knows!  I'll try it on pine and see how that goes -- once I get a chance.

MountainDon

It was fairly fresh cut ponderosa; maybe a month from felling to slicing down the center.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.