Footings for porch / deck?

Started by NM_Shooter, October 05, 2009, 02:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I want to put a porch on the long side of my cabin.  I'll be attaching a ledger board to the cabin rim joist.  I'm thinking of attaching it using some short sections of PT wood as shims to keep the ledger off the hardi-siding to allow for draining.

The porch will be fairly shallow.  Maybe only 6' from front to back.  Enough for a lawn chair+ a couple of feet.

I'm wondering about the footing for the porch posts.  I'm not about to go through another pier digging exercise; that darn near killed me. I'm thinking about digging a shallow hole... maybe 12", filling with gravel, putting a 2" concrete square pad, and then a concrete post base on top.  I figure that I can adjust for settling as necessary.

Thoughts?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

rocking23nf

Just build it on blocks, easy, quick, could have it done in a day.

as long as its under 6 feet high, its allowed in most places.

MountainDon

Is that layer of Hardie Plank you wish to secure the ledger to. nailed dead flat against the rim/band joist?

If it is then I suppose you could secure the ledger over it. I lag screwed my porch ledger to the rim joist with a double spaced set of washers at each lag hole. That left an air/water space behind the ledger. There is no Hardie plank behind the ledger, only building paper.

The question of a ledger for a porch floor begs an answer to the question, what about a ledger for a roof? Will there be a roof or the rainy days? That should be tied (lag screwed) to the wall studs but with the lap siding that could be a problem.   ???

As for the footing idea, considering that you are in the middle of nowheres, I think gravel and concrete pad might be okay. Maybe those pyramid shaped post blocks would be better then a 2" thick pad though.  ???  What about snow load from the roof if there is to be one?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Thanks folks...

Bottom Hardiplank is nailed flush to rimjoist.  I like the idea of spacing with washers. 

Probably a roof over it eventually.... hoping to make it hinge-able.  Will set it up when we are there, and fold it down when we leave to secure the windows.  I'm thinking of framing it out of 2x4, with a 2X8 ledger up under the eave. I am worried about the mounting integrity since the hardiplank is lapped up there.  But since it will be zero snow load, I am considering this more of a hard-awning than anything else. 

Eventually want to have screen panels for it too!

I will use the pyramid blocks, but thought I would place them on the flat blocks so that I could more easily shim them later if needed.  But I may just use the blocks alone.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on October 05, 2009, 11:24:27 PM
Thanks folks...

Bottom Hardiplank is nailed flush to rimjoist.  I like the idea of spacing with washers.  

I "glued" them to the 2x with acrylic sealant a day or two before fitting the ledger to the cabin. That saved me from juggling the ledger, lags and washers.

Cool idea for the hinged roof/awning/window shutter.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.