Solar Power Kits For Cabins And Remote Homes

Started by glenn kangiser, June 23, 2008, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apaknad

i forgot to ask you christina, what plans did you use?
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

MountainDon

Quote from: apaknad on July 10, 2008, 02:23:14 PM
... also i found that you can get land by a river rather cheap
Riverfront property sometimes has it's disadvantages.   :o
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Seasonal cabins are great by a stream but full time residences are taking a chance if they are in a flood plain or the potential for flooding.  My uncle has a great piece of land which he has made a picnic shelter, boat dock for fishing and a great place for the summer.  ButTTT it does flood 1-2 times a year and the complete bottom covers.  I wouldn't even trust the statistics in regards to the labeling of 100 yr flood.  In our nearest town we have had 3 hundred year floods in 20 years.  Hey that suppose to be 300 years isn't it. Two of which were 1 year apart.  When the Corp of Eng finds the money that was earmarked for floodwalls I guess it will happen.  They have used it up on other projects which take precident I suppose.

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 10, 2008, 07:17:12 PM
I wouldn't even trust the statistics in regards to the labeling of 100 yr flood.  In our nearest town we have had 3 hundred year floods in 20 years.  Hey that suppose to be 300 years isn't it. Two of which were 1 year apart. 

Terms like 25 year "event", 100 year "event", 500 year "event" are really misnomers, and therefore misunderstood by most people, in my opinion.

The term 100 year flood actually means the chance of enough water/rainfall in a certain period of time, to cause  flood, is 1 in 100, or 1%. Similarly the term 500 year event means a statistical chance of the "event" occurring is 1 in 500, or 0.2%. Therefore it is possible to have a series of 100 year floods in consecutive years, or even in the same year.

You can maybe get a better handle on this by thinking of a bag containing 99 regular Oreos and 1 Double Stuff Oreo. If you reach in and grab a cookie the odds are 1 in 100 that you will grab the Double Stuff Oreo. Each time you reach in the bag contains 99 regular and 1 Double Stuff so each time your odds are the same. It is just as possible get the Double Stuff Oreo frequently as it is to never get one.

If it's hard to grasp, don't feel bad. I flunked statistics the first time around.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

Quoteodds are 1 in 100 that you will grab the Double Stuff Oreo

Only until I grab the double stuffed Oreo.  Your nuts if you think it's going back in the bag :)

MountainDon

Quote from: John C on July 10, 2008, 08:27:13 PM

Only until I grab the double stuffed Oreo.  You're nuts if you think it's going back in the bag :)

rofl rofl

Redoverfarm

So I guess if you get the double stuff. lick off icing and put it back it will not flood.

I understand and I was making a point that it doesn't hold true to the norm and if someone was looking to buy riverfront property with that assumtion they would be all wet.

apaknad

i am still in a dream stage right now but yes, flooding would be high on the list of things to watch out for.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

I made one of my customers raise his pad 4 feet about 30 years ago beside a slough.  I had seen it flood before.

Many times since I have gone by that building during slough floods and seen it sitting high and dry about 2 feet above flood level.  I always felt pretty good about making him do something he didn't want to do, and I assume he is pretty happy about it too.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CWhite

Hi apaknad,
I used John's 1 1/2 story plans.  I changed them a lot, like everyone else does, but it's still in there. 
My house is a full time residence big enough on the ground floor for my husband and I, with lots of room for the family (grown kids) to come visit. 
It is a great home, and we get lots of comments from the customers who wander back there through our sculpture garden behind our gallery.  Last week I finally put up a little sign saying "private" so people would not go wander around the back of my house where my clothes hang on a clothes line. 

Good luck with yours.  It is quite an adventure.  Mine's not over yet, but close.
Christina