GPS and Google Earth Solution Detailed

Started by glenn-k, March 18, 2007, 12:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Another good one from Kevin Kelly

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001623.php

Tells how to use Google Earth and a computer for the most current mapping.  Free except hardware.

MountainDon

Oh I shouldn't have looked at that.   :)

It is neat, but I think I'll stick with my Garmin GPSMAP60, National Geographic TOPO! maps, and my self made custom mini box computer and LCD monitor; runs off a small inverter in the Jeep.

But that Google Earth setup has got me thinking. Maybe I "need" it too.   :-/

glenn-k

I'm thinking about getting one set up again for our exploring.  I have the inverter in the truck also and the laptop would be nice to view it on.

I had a blind GPS in my plane hooked to a small computer - also one in my truck hooked to a pocket PC. Pocket PC got to be too many problems though.

MountainDon

I love Nat Geo TOPO!. It's maps are the USGS maps saved in TOPO's proprietary format. You can connect virtually any GPS to it. Track logs can be downloaded after the GPS has recorded them. Best of all is to connect and be able to watch where you are on the map in real time. Maps are sold in state sets.  

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/TOPO/

There are many mapping programs out there. I happen to like NatGeo TOPO best as it looks most like the USGS topo quad maps I grew up with. Much nicer than lugging along a box full of paper maps. The only problem with most laptops is that in bright sunlight even the best are not bright enough.

To combat that I use a regular household 17 inch LCD monitor, powered by the inverter. Because of the space it takes up the idea works best when alone in the Jeep.

glenn-k

The Nat Geo maps look good - do they show old mine sites on the TOPO's?

MountainDon

NG TOPO use the genuine USGS maps, scanned and the edges removed so as you move from one sheet to another it's seamless. So if it was on the paper USGS it should be on the TOPO.

I don't have any CA discs, but I do have NM, CO, AZ & UT. If you can name an area, place, co-ordinates, whatever I could send you some screen shots.

glenn-k

How about Marble, CO.  Sassy and I toured the marble mine where the Lincoln, Washington, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier etc. came from.

MountainDon

That would be the Yule Quarry? South of Marble a little?

glenn-k

Yes - that is it.  9300 elevation I understand.

MountainDon

info from USGS on Yule Marble and the Lincoln Memorial

http://pubs.usgs.gov/pdf/bulletin/b2162/b2162.pdf

Map screen shots emailed, sample detail shot below

MountainDon

Possible overkill for the mapping computer
[/img]

17" Viewsonic, AMD 3200, 2 gig ram, 2 - 160 GB hard drives runs okay on 700 watt square wave inverter

glenn-k

Looks good, Don - I was able to view all the maps and got them -no problem.  

It looks like it shows lots of mines in the area - that is always the start of a good adventure. :)

I guess I'll be looking into that program later.

jraabe

glenn-k

Uh - thanks, John.  We figured this would be a great way of precisely mapping out our Little House project. :)

jraabe

Kelly does have nifty stuff on his blog.

:) I also assume a troglodyte would feel most comfortable in a mine or tomb. Good to find those things quickly so as to limit the time spent above ground. :D

glenn-k

You got it John-- sometimes I have to force myself to go out and am very uneasy if I don't make it back underground by nightfall. :-/

Amanda_931

I have friends here whose family lived in Marble for a while--one came back to live in the old home.  Her family, he's the map freak.

glenn-k

Marble was cool, Amanda - and it could get downright cold - -40f in the winter.  The guide worked there and said they used heaters to warm it up to -20 in the winter so that it would be warm enough to work..

He said I could come there for seasonal work at $17.00 per hour. :)  If that wouldn't make me go broke I would like to do it. :o