hate to do it

Started by benevolance, February 08, 2006, 12:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

I have to build a garage...

I was working outside in my paved yard repairing/junking cars here in sunny south carolina...

5 trips from the county inspector and 5 different approaches for me to make the guy laugh...I am about out of jokes! He said he would give me a little more time to clean up the 17 cars I have outside in my yard...

I already have 12 stored in a building next door and another 10 I have bought to drag home...

So I have to build the 30 x 60 shop and put a lean-two type storage off to the side for an additional 8 cars (16 x 60)

With the shop I can cut cars I am junking up faster and keep them out of the inspectors eyesight...I can build a fence for the cars that are still outside I guess.

Anyone have any input on what type of building... I was looking at so many types...But I am leaning towards a  Durospan steel building I can assemble it myself and it will have a mezzanine in half of it for upstairs storgae of parts etc....

$10,700 for the steel building delivered in my yard with the taxes paid...I dunno that seems pretty cheap to me... The Cement and backhoe work will cost another $10-12,000..I can handle putting in a bathroom and I will need to get a 200 amp service put in...so I should be able to get everything done under $25,000

I know I could get it done for half the money if I wanted to take a year to go to liquidation sales for building materials or to tear down a existing steel building on a site where it has to be moved...you can usually get them for nothing in those examples...

But I do not have a year to hunt for a deal...I have a couple months to get the building built......And when it has to be right now you have to be realistic on what you can do to save money.

Still I am always looking for ideas... The building I am looking at will have 12 foot high walls and a 18 foot high peak... Ceiling of the bottom floor 25 L x 30 W section will be 8 feet and used for car storage only.

If I knew what I was doing on the comp I would share the blueprint sketches i have made in my mind for what I need for my business.

Building permit is $80 bucks here and pretty wide open as to what I build...So I am loving that.

Still always want input...So feel free to chime in I am officially opening up the peanut gallery.

-Peter

glenn kangiser

Sounds pretty good, Peter.  Around here I'd get around 35 to $40000 for the basic building and concrete complete.

I have a friend who put up a fence made out of car hoods when the county got on his case. ;D

I did one Heritage building out of Arkansas or Oklahoma once they were cheap - customer supplied the building cheaper than I could get it.-- Actually they are just a broker with plants across the US.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glen

I would love to get a deal on the cement and get the building up for $20,000

Which is about right because everything costs about double in California...Inagine if you were in LA...the coast would triple again!!!!!!!

It is funny that most people out there do not believe it when you talk about escalated costs out there on the left coast

-Peter

benevolance

Man

County guy was here again today...Told me I have to March the 3rd to be in Compliance...I asked him if anyone was ever really in Compliance and what did compliance really mean...

He was not the philosophical type at all! :o

I guess it is fence building time...Which really psses me off because when I start building the garage I will have to move the fence....argh!

glenn kangiser

By the time everyone gets their piece of the pie it gets expensive.

I had the owner pull the ag exempt permit because if I did it there are a million more hoops to jump through with the county and labor, surveying existing buildings,septics, houses wells, shops, turkey sheds- not a sketch as  before but actual measurements --  and extra costs would have been another 5 to $10000 except it was going to be such a hassle I was about to drop the project as it would have been too much trouble.

He got the permit for $110.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn

I am pretty lucky that there are not massive restrictions here in Greenville County South Carolina...$80 for a permit and bob is my uncle! Besides if the county comes out I will hand them the one permit I have and play stupid! That is my battle plan

Need to get a backhoe here for  about 6 hours....Guy is gonna charge me $50 an hour....And I need 5-6 loads of gravel...At $300 a load...So $2000 to level up the place for the shop...To dig the holes for the footings...And to install a new driveway for the neighbor....

Going for the permit before I start the backhoe work...I am expecting a huge protest from my wife's aunt...The woman that has been calling the county everyday about my cars...She uses part of my driveway and she has no access to the road she has to cross my land...Currently the driveway is in the middle of my yard...I am moving that to the edge of my property...She will be mad...Everything we do she tries to stop us and writes letters to the county....Reported us for shingling the roof....Said we were making too much mess.... on and on...

So the permits have to come first before she can catch a wiff of what I am doing.

Glen...you have a way with the ladies...Come visit me and wine and dine this hag for me will ya? ;D

glenn kangiser

Peter, I never make them do anything they don't want to do --- I just make them want to do it.   ::)  Now you know the secret of my success.

Although if I came over there and tried to talk to her, I may end up getting the sheriff called on both of us. :-/

benevolance

Well Glen....Neat approach man...Seriously! I could not set my worst enemy up with this hag.... 300 pounds and the personality of a inbred pitbull

Unless that is your idea of heavan?

:o

And as for the sheriff...I am not sure they still exist...City police state troopers...Why are there three types of cops????? that makes as much sense and boobies on a bull to me!

okay enough semantics...

glenn kangiser

Look at it as a challenge, Peter.    ;D

Up here we needed all the different types of cops to make sure their midnight drug shipments got loaded safely on the plane - part of the covert money resources necessary to keep certain factions of the fed gov running - the other ones were required to silence any honest ones that might get ideas of reporting them -makes for a good retirement for some of the congressmen though and the trickle down helps the rest of the underprivledged public servants.

benevolance

Glen

I read a whole big thing on that...took me hours to go through it all...I was shocked ...something right out of a muscle mass bullet dodging superhero crime firghting story....

did they ever catch the bad guys in that thing and clean it up?

-Peter

glenn kangiser

Some are dead- some retired -I think the sheriffs closed their meth lab and mary jane plantation on reservation land as the indians were PO'd.  Even now multimillion dollar drug bust's are made -evidence goes into the evidence locker - I haven't seen public disclosure of where it goes after that.

The honest one they killed didn't get back from Sacramento before word got here from the State government office that he'd been there - they were in on it too -  he was dead in a month- found 10 years later- goes to clear to the CIA and the old guns for drugs scandal of the 80's- etc from there - the investigative reporter changed here name for a while - doesn't seem to be public now.  

Not resolved -that I know of.  Story still stands with no action taken.  Here's what went --in October 1996 -- to a secret Investigative Committee comprised of Congress people, lawyers and former POW's. The Last Circle

And people thing I'm an alarmist - conspiracy theorist etc. :-/  This is true stuff - the murdered sheriff's relatives live on the hill below me.  I don't really care to run around asking too much about it.  Retired head Sheriff's son is still a Sheriff -although I've heard he is an OK guy.  My neighbor -an ex LA PD - still suspects at least some corruption -knows of a suspicious death and questionable tailing etc.  You gotta love it. :)

In the last few months the Sheriff animal control officer was busted for selling meth out of the dog catcher truck.  Are they straight and busted her -or was she set up for screwing up?  Who really knows?  The head Sheriff now seems to be a nice guy but that doesn't always mean anything.  In their favor - big scandal rumors are down.

benevolance

Wow,

you have no confidence in those that serve to protect and serve you...

I will send you my phone number...If you are ever in trouble...at least you can dial a number that you can believe in!

-Peter

glenn kangiser

I was talking to my friend who first told me about it today - he said he thinks most of its cleaned up though the old stuff is probably not resolved.

He mentioned -as did an old fellow in airline security who lives up here-- it's pretty well - you leave them alone -they leave you alone.

My neighbor --ex LAPD --- said the entire system was so bad no one was ever going to be able to  straighten it out.  Funny that he mentioned the murdered Sheriff - I don't think I ever mentioned it to him. He was pro-gov a couple years ago - surprised me to see him do a turnaround.  He said that dirty politicians get dirty money - spread it around - pull others in with it and soon even the good ones are corrupt.  

He said he did the bad cop stuff a long time ago but came to realize that he was a jerk and turned around-- ended up being a good cop later.  He is a good guy.  I let him tour the place with his friends and relatives even if I'm not here.  Took some through this afternoon.

Amanda_931

Around here, city police police the city (well, town.  Each of the three towns in the county has its own department.  But if you fight a Collinwood ticket you don't go to Collinwood, you come to Waynesboro--general sessions court judges are county-wide.).

The Sheriff's guys police the county outside of the cities.  And take care of the jail.  There are two men running for sheriff this year--one is a former sheriff who was convicted of raping an under age girl in his office--before my time, but I believe that's the story--the other presents himself as Mr. Rigid Law-N-Order.  The current guy got stuck with a jail deemed not fit to house the dog pound.  But he's good to his mother and his dogs.

The State Police do traffic patrol on the state highways, but they are also called to mind traffic and issue tickets if there's a wreck anywhere.  

And there are the State Wildlife people who can patrol and give tickets to people canoeing on the river--no alcohol, no beer, enforced randomly.  At least one is notorious for hiding in the bushes waiting for pretty girls going into the woods to pee.  Since canoe outfitting is one of the things the county is known for that doesn't make for good word-of-mouth publicity.

For better or worse, the county can call on somewhat more experienced investigators at the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation for help if they feel that they are in over their heads.  They may not do that enough.

And the federal drugs guys are everywhere.  Meth labs are common.  Or at least they are reported a lot.

Nashville has city-and-county government, so all that's left for the Sheriff to do is take care of the jail.  There has been a fair amount of corruption there as well.  Especially back in the days of the wonderfully named Fate Thomas.

I don't imagine that there are any solidly good law inforcement departments in the country.

glenn kangiser

That seems to be the rule rather than the exception, Amanda.

I had breakfast at the local American Legion today - head Sheriff was there - blue jeans and work shirt just having breakfast with the local seniors.  He seems to be a really nice guy -  hope they have things straightened out but after the things that used to go on around here you always have questions- then again --he's not the only one - we have around 80 to 100 of them around here.

glenn kangiser

Intresting story from your state, Amanda.  Looks like history does repeat itself.

The Battle of Athens, Tennessee

benevolance

I wonder if Cheney was using his right to bear arms ;)

glenn kangiser

I'm not sure ---  funny the shot guy is afraid to use his "freedom of speech" -- he's not talking.  Too bad the coverup attempt didn't work - this just makes things real messy. :o

Apparently some good has come of this unfortunate occurance --a legal precedent seems to have been set --now we can all go hunting without stamps and send the money in afterward -especially if we shoot our buddy - only $7.00 and you just send it in if you get caught. :)

Amanda_931

I've been up to Athens once.  Every year they have a really nice quilt exhibit.  It's not a little town.  Which is good because it's hard to get there from almost anywhere.  But especially Nashville.

I hadn't heard about that incident.  Doesn't surprise me much, though.