Mooney wall - A low cost, high R-Value wall

Started by youngins, August 14, 2007, 10:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

My uncle and I were chatting about a new exterior insulation called REFORM wall. I was looking it up when I stumbled onto a technique called the "Mooney wall."

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/MooneyWall/MooneyWall.htm

Thought it would be interesting to hear what the y'all think about it..

Chris
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

TisaWee Farm

Wouldn't it be awkward to put up drywall?  You'd have to put it horizontally?  

MountainDon

I think this came up some time back, but I couldn't find the reference.

I believe it was thought to be an interesting way to increase R-value.

As far as horizontal drywall vs. vertical, it's done all the time using 12 foot x 4 foot sheets. Reduced taping a little.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JRR

I wonder if the same effect could not be achieved by cutting a piece of insulating foam board into 2" - 3" wide strips.  Glue the strips, in vertical position, against the inside face of the studs.  Mount the drywall to the studs, against the foam strips.

This should lessen the thermal loss thru the studs and not be too expensive.

youngins

Don - You might be referring to the Nicolaisen cabin John's gallery - he did something similar - used double 2x4 framing.

As for foam strips - thought about that but then would have to adjust electrical outlets to come out more.

As for REFORM wall - it appears to be very new concept - but for older homes maybe a good alternative.
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

John Raabe

Here's a diagram from my old chestnut, "Superinsulated Design and Construction", p. 92, Strapped Walls:

The many different types of insulation systems were evaluated in that book and then rated for the climates in which they might expect to be cost-effective. The fuel and construction cost numbers are out of date about 20 years, but this is worth consideration where heating and cooling costs are high.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Rover

For the place I'm planning (dreaming), I was thinking of the same idea as the Mooney wall except the additional framing would be 2"x3" because the 2"x2" I've seen around lately, are crappy.  I also plan to install the 2"x3" horizontally on the exterior of the building with rigid 1" insulation between the 2"x3".  Then install vertical board & batten over.  The 2"x3" is more meaty to secure into.  And I would have 1/2" breathing space behind the wood boards.
My only issue is how to provide lateral bracing; either plywood on inside of building or plywood between the 2 sets of framing.