I need to build but .....

Started by JimC, February 21, 2008, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimC

I've got a small piece of land in North Florida that I need to build on.  I really like the lines of the 14' x 24' Builder's Cottage - but - I need a few changes. 

First, I want to use SIP's.  Also, I like to change the plans to include a 6 foot wide covered porch around the entire perimeter of the house.  Do you folks know of any plans like this that are currently offered for sale?

Also, have you ever heard of anyone using steel shipping containers for a basement?  Any thoughts, observations or suggestions really appreciated......

wingam00

Jim, w*, to the group. Can not help you in your request but others will chime in to give a hand.  Where in North FL? I live in Albany, GA.

Mark

JimC

Thanks for the welcome.  The land is north of Panama City -- just a few miles from Vernon. 

wingam00

Heck we are almost neighbors you are only about 135 miles down the road.  If I recall right I raced motocross near you in Wausau many moons ago.

Mark

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

John has some info on poor mans SIPS here somewhere --If you are thinking manufactured SIPS, I would say that the manufacturer may take your plans and adapt them to SIPS.  Generally non-standard building practices cost more.

We have had the storage container discussion several times.  As I remember, John told of a buried caved in pot farm near his area some where.

The containers are not rated or engineered to be buried.  In a permit/inspection area it would not fly unless an engineer said it was OK but you can bet he will design a full strength shell that he can approve so the purpose of low cost will be defeated.  It would also rust eventually so would not make a dependable foundation of any sort in a non-permit or inspected area.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

JimC

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 21, 2008, 05:39:21 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

John has some info on poor mans SIPS here somewhere --If you are thinking manufactured SIPS, I would say that the manufacturer may take your plans and adapt them to SIPS.  Generally non-standard building practices cost more.

We have had the storage container discussion several times.  As I remember, John told of a buried caved in pot farm near his area some where.

The containers are not rated or engineered to be buried.  In a permit/inspection area it would not fly unless an engineer said it was OK but you can bet he will design a full strength shell that he can approve so the purpose of low cost will be defeated.  It would also rust eventually so would not make a dependable foundation of any sort in a non-permit or inspected area.

I'll look up the poor-man's SIP info, thanks.  I'm prepared to pay for SIP's because of the performance and rapid assembly.  I think finding plans or modifying is gonna be the hard part of this.

Hmmm, darn shame the shipping container idea won't fly.  Seems like if would be perfect for cheap, storm-proof square footage.

glenn kangiser

Yeah -- if they can't see it in black and white, it won't be acceptable.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

n74tg

I considered building my house out of SIP's.  I even bought a book on it (can't remember by who), read most everything at SipWeb and extensively researched all the SIP manufacturers product information (on the web, and in print).   What finally nixed the idea for me was two things.

1. I read about lots of evidence that even the best SIP manufacturers (read that as the most expensive panels) had a hard time of getting the panel dimensions right.  It didn't matter if you gave them the dimensions of individual panels or if they sent out someone to look over your plans and/or measure panel dimensions.  Net result was the builder had to make lots of time consuming and expensive panel modifications onsite before they could be assembled.  If the panels don't go together quick and right, then any savings promised by quick installation go down the drain.

2. I have a very tight building site, sizewise.  Read that as NO room to get a crane in to lift panels into place, especially roof panels.  I looked at different ways to get around this problem, but none of them were cheap enough to warrant SIPs for me.  Granted you might be able to get it done with lots of people pitching in, but then the cost of installation and speed advantages of using SIP's in the first place gets compromised.  At least that was true in my case.

Still, I love the idea of using SIPs.  It just didn't seem to me the industry was developed enough to convince me I would get the quality in the final product that they all advertised as being routine. 

Good luck in your project, whichever method you choose.   
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

CREATIVE1

What concerns me about SIPs is that if water penetrates the structure (such as in a hurricane) you have ISSUES.  Look at the trouble you have to go through to waterproof around each window, for example.

Having built a home that wasn't the "norm"--reverse cantilever, etc.--I can tell you that I'd want to go with standard construction just to avoid extra headaches and time.  For my new Victoria, I keep slapping myself in the face when I get too fancy.