40'x13' with 15'x16' extension Cabin Rebuild

Started by Adam Roby, November 06, 2018, 06:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanS

Get a metal roof on asap. I watch barns with 1000 year foundation and timber frames around here implode in a year or two once the roof has a hole in it. It almost sounds like you may be better off just putting up a new camp.

I think I mentioned this before- but are Amish up there? You could buy a little cabin or shed and have it towed in.

Don_P

To some extent the existing is grandfathered, not saying it is or isn't the best option but do investigate the rules there and think before you wipe the slate clean.

Adam Roby

Quote from: Don_P on July 24, 2022, 07:41:24 AMTo some extent the existing is grandfathered, not saying it is or isn't the best option but do investigate the rules there and think before you wipe the slate clean.
Indeed, the town is quite tolerant with repairs, but would probably not let me rebuild a hunting cabin (without any electric/septic/well) with the same leniency.  I am trying to think of ways to fix without replacing it completely.  It's not easy when you are alone and only have a few weekends out of the year to do anything.  Covid has removed my key friends that would have been able to help (no vaccine, no entry to USA + 2 week quarantine when coming back).  I am currently thinking about pre-making some trusses and cutting out complete sections of the roof and patching it back together (new truss - same angle, new plywood sheathing, tar paper temporarily. I always have to think "this may be my last time here for 2 years", so half the time is actual work, the other half it trying to temporarily button things up just in case I don't get back.  It makes for a difficult build strategy.  

There is place locally that makes and delivers ready made cabins, small, between $7-10k for a basic model.  They ask you to put down a bed or gravel, and they lower it on skids.  I am almost tempted to do that...
https://www.adirondackstoragebarns.com/product/cozy-cottage/

I have never priced out gravel like that.  Is it expensive?  Maybe what 15-20 tons?  I have the tractor to remove the loose vegetation and to spread out the rock, would just need to rent a compactor for the weekend (no water source though).  

Adam Roby

Quote from: NathanS on July 23, 2022, 08:59:56 AMGet a metal roof on asap. I watch barns with 1000 year foundation and timber frames around here implode in a year or two once the roof has a hole in it. It almost sounds like you may be better off just putting up a new camp.

I think I mentioned this before- but are Amish up there? You could buy a little cabin or shed and have it towed in.

I think I found a place with economy metal, limited quantity (maybe end of run supplies).  I am waiting for a call back, but I think I can cover 90% with the same color, may need a few sheets of a different color in the back.  Just screw to the existing for now to help...   

jsahara24

I am in Oswego County, NY and there is a local amish metal roofing place that sells metal roofing pretty cheap, its been about 8 years since I bought from them but at that point it was about 2.2$/LF for 3' wide metal.  I think you're a couple hours from there, but potentially worth it depending.  Just thought i'd mention it.  

Good luck...

Adam Roby

Quote from: jsahara24 on July 29, 2022, 08:31:01 AMI am in Oswego County, NY and there is a local amish metal roofing place that sells metal roofing pretty cheap, its been about 8 years since I bought from them but at that point it was about 2.2$/LF for 3' wide metal.  I think you're a couple hours from there, but potentially worth it depending.  Just thought i'd mention it. 

Good luck...

Thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated.