Rome wasn't built in a day

Started by pioneergal, January 12, 2006, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

There were days that we thought we would never get to this phase of building.

So many obstacles kept getting in our path to progress and it was easy to get discouraged.

I told myself .....self be patient ............ Rome was not built in a day!

That being said............I'm so excited that I can't sleep! ;D

Bright and early Thursday morning we are headed to town to get our 1st load of lumber to begin framing on Saturday.

We have a few friends that have said they will be at our place on Saturday to help DH with the framing.

I don't know how far along we will get but we hope to have a sign of progress when we stop to eat on Saturday evening.

I'm putting 2 briskets , 10#'s of chicken, and 5 #'s of sausage on the BBQ pit about 7 a.m.

peg_688

Gal    Press on toward the goal, set backs/delays  are just part of building , it happens.  

Don't get to elated when walls/ framing goes up either , thats the quick part  :)

Each phase has it's slow downs , timing issue's , just keep your eye's on the goal , don't feed the crew to much till around 2 PM or they'll get sleepy on ya ;)

Good luck , PEG    Oh ya, go Seahawks on Saturday :D

ailsaek

W00t!  Congratulations.  It must feel really great to be well & truly begun.

jwv

Good for you!  [smiley=thumbup.gif] I agree with PEG on the food-and hide the beer!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Quote the DH "If you have a goal and get up everyday and work at it, eventually something gets built."

judy

Jimmy_Cason

Do you know what happens in Texas if you ask people to show up for work and promise them a brisket dinner?

They all show up and bring a friend!

John_M

Best of luck to you!  I hope to get things rolling this summer.  Up here in NY, temperatures are a little colder to deal with, this time of year!!

Jimmy_Cason

I live about 40 minutes east of Pioneergal. The temp here has been in the 70s-80s every day of January 2006.  We are still waiting on winter. I am 40 years old and I don't remember it ever being this warm this long. In December we had one or two days of rain mixed with ice. That was our winter so far!

Amanda_931

We haven't had a day when it didn't get up to freezing yet.  (back in the seventies and early 80's it was normal to have a few)  Wednesday was t-shirt weather, only a little cooler today.  S-word's in the forcast for tomorrow night.  And (needed) rain, maybe lots of it.

Back to topic--but once a house is framed, it's obviously going to be a house.  A major milestone after playing around in the dirt to put a foundation/footing/posts in.

pioneergal

I finally got a little sleep last night but was up early this morning.

DH and I spent most of the day purchasing limber , materials, and etc.

Tomorrow I have a few items to purchase but overall I think we are set to start on Saturday.

Oh yeah, I don't plan to feed until about 4 on Saturday evening  ;)

I hope that sometime Sunday evening I will be able to post a few pics of the project.

Jackie

mikeschn

Normally I wouldn't post anything like this, but you guys have been responding to this post every day lately...

So I submit to you, what are we building for? Are we preparing for the fall of rome? i.e. the U.S.?

http://killeenroos.com/1/Romefall.htm

Mike...

P.S. If rome falls, I am going to build a loveshack...  ;)
http://www.mikenchell.com/tinylittlecabin/

Robert_Flowers

[highlight]P.S. If rome falls, I am going to build a loveshack...  ;)[/highlight]

Nice shack  size any floorplans?

Robert  

mikeschn

Well, I know the loveshack is 8' x 10'. So I drew up what I thought it might look like.

Mike...

Nice shack  size any floorplans?

Robert  

pioneergal

Update!

I was too tired last night to post about the days events.

We didn't get to start as early as we would have liked but we did see some walls go up by the end of the day.

We got a 44 ft. wall, a 48 ft. wall and a 10 ft. section of another wall up and braced before we called it quits. :)

This DST cut us out of about 2 - 3 hours of good daylight that we could have used for more building.

Later today I'll try to get a few pictures on the site .

Jackie

mikeschn

Not much interest in the love shack I see...  ???

Mike...