20 X 36 1 1/2 story in north Georgia

Started by C.White, June 17, 2007, 01:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike 870

Your house is a masterpiece.   I really like it.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Love your house, Christina.  I bet you can't wait to move in!  I know I'd be chomping at the bit.  I have never been a big fan of concrete, but the floors look incredible, and easy to keep clean, too.   How long does it take for the epoxy smell to clear out after you put a coat of it on?  I like the color, too.  DH and I have talked about solar radiant heated floors, which would work well with concrete, but the thought of concrete always kind of turned me off, but have to admit after seeing your house, it makes me strongly reconsider.  I like the spring of a wood floor better, but as you pointed out, it's low maintainence and looks great.  Gorgeous work...  looks like art.

CWhite

Hi Homegrown,
The epoxy smell went away when the floor dried.  I don't remember it smelling that bad really.  The ammonia smell when we had to neutralize the acid staining process was the nose killer.  Epoxy was nothing compared to that. 

I've always had wooden floors, and it took me awhile to agree to the cement floors downstairs.  I must admit, I really like them, but I haven't moved in yet.  The wood floors upstairs will be very comfortable. 

We are working on the kitchen cabinets now.  The handrails for the stairs are all done.  We got the sink installed today.  The counter top wound up being left over cedar rails from the porch and 2 X 4's.  It looks surprisingly good.  I'll post pictures after we get the front on the cabinets. 

Christina

CWhite

Thanks Mike,  that's a pretty high compliment. 
My husband stood back after I put the second coat of polyurethane on the countertop and asked where we should sign it....I told him I'm going to sign the whole house. 
I've put my heart and soul into it. 
Christina

CWhite

Hi Bishopknight,
I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.  Petry is on the porch an awful lot lately.  He thinks we built him a house.  We have two peahens too, and they stay on the steps in front of the bedroom looking at themselves in the reflection in the doors.   Not much privacy around here.  The horses can see inside the house from their fenced in field too. 

Christina

Redoverfarm

Christinia I ran across this on another forrum.  There was a part that I thought you would want to see regarding exterior which I will highlight.  Sort of after the fact but I was thinking of you

John

1st, there're 2 types of conc stain, acid-reactive & non,,, most problems that arise mention both these brands altho some pro's use k,,, unaware of any who use h other'n painters & wanna-be stainers.

we ALWAYS use 3,500psi, 4gpm press wshr to prep incl tsp & degreasers as nec,,, unaware of ANY solid stain other'n conc dye - h doesn't fit my definition of penetrating stain,,, we neutralize acid-reactive stains w/1ammonia:8wtr & p/w to remove remaining mineral salts,,, caution - blue or green're not recommended for ext work as copper salts oxidize turning black.

imo, conrad's exp's anecdotal & generally not experienced by pro's,,, most repair work we enounter involves mentioned brands & their oft reported customer-no-svce.

we've never acid-wash'd a d/w prior to acid-reactive stain,,, acid reacts w/conc's free lime,,, pre-mix is a waste im-pro-o & can actually retard/ruin the process,,, all this being said, yes, you can do it - good luck !

CWhite

Thanks John for the info.  Our acid stained floor is a done deal. 
We put the 2nd coat of epoxy on our indoor floors on Friday night.  It seems to scratch a lot easier than we expected, but it may need more time to cure. 

We moved in some furniture yesterday, and spent the first night in the house last night. 
Still no electricity except for the one extension cord still, but the occupancy certification was granted on Friday with no problems..(thankyou, thankyou, thankyou) and the power company should come put in the meter early this week.  Then, I will have hot water and lights! 

We still have details to complete, but it is now a house. 

Thanks for all of the help. 
Christina

mvk

Hi Christina

Love your floor's ,hope I have the energy to do same if I every get around to building, seems to be slipping away again with the economy and all. Also your carvings are really special. I was wondering about the inside window trim, is that your Idea or the builder. Is that common around there, might have to steal it :) Also I had asked you about the piece of trim on the outside between the corner boards and siding never saw that before?  The 3/4" piece? You never answered and I didn't ask again because you where so busy. I would guess that might be because some time your siding sticks out a little further then your corners ,used to drive me nuts when I saw that.
Mike

CWhite

Hi Mike,
Sorry I didn't answer before.  Don't know why I didn't.

The exterior siding edges you mentioned do even up the edges, and the framing crew who did it, came up with it on their own, and I just nodded when they told me what they were going to do.
It is a full inch thick in order to trim out the siding well.   The cypress came from a Washington, Georgia saw mill directly. 

The inside trim style is influenced by both interior and exterior trim on Swedish farm houses.  The panels created underneath the windows inside were often painted to depict the family's successes.

In keeping with Swedish tradition,  I will be carving diamond shaped panels to apply to the wood shapes already in place for a bit of extended surface feature.  The themes of the carvings will depict my children's fields of study.  My son is an entomologist (I will carve a stag beetle for him), another is a marine biologist (I will carve a parrot fish for her), the other two, daughter and her husband to be are both ornothologists (I will carve two birds for them, a robin, and a black throated blue warbler)....more than you wanted to know probably.

The appraiser was just here, so I get to see if my efforts paid off monetarily in a few days.  Unlike many of the builders on this forum, we will have a mortgage, and are due to close on Thursday of this week.  This is our full-time residence, and is on the property where we operate our art studios and gallery, and have a sculpture garden that is open to the public.  Our lifesyle is kind of different from a lot of folks.  If it isn't being done as creatively as we can, then we quickly loose interest and go numb. 

Thanks for the comments and for looking at the pictures. 
Christina

I love the way the trim has turned out.  I essentially copied it from Sweden, don't have a problem with someone copying it from me.  Go for it.

glenn kangiser

It is a great house, Christina.

Good think I'm not your kid.  You have to carve a panel with Fred Flintstone on it. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

deertracks

Christina... The carvings and all the other extras really make it YOURS.
Even if the bank has an interest in it, look what you have to show for all your work.
Be proud of your hard work and talents... ENJOY!!

CWhite

Thanks Glen, yes, Fred Flintstone would be your icon.  Cave living in animal skins....

Thanks also to you Deertracks.  I am proud of it.  I am still waiting for the power and the first hot shower, but it is very peaceful sleeping indoors again. 

Christina

CWhite

I have power, lights, hot water....I'm home at last.

I am being really weird about moving stuff into the house now.  I like it roomy and sort of empty.  I intend on taking my time, and not putting anything in there that clutters it up. 
Christina

Redoverfarm

Christina sounds like to me that you are about ready for a "yard sale".

glenn kangiser

Maybe you need to add a storage shed, Christina.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CWhite

Hi John and Glen.

Glen, if you could see how many "sheds" I already have on the property, you would laugh at that suggestion. 
I have a horse barn 36 feet x 48 feet with left over lumberparts in it from the house construction, there is the studio building where we have been storing our belongings for about a year and a half...it is about 12 feet by 80 feet with a 12 foot porch over hang on the 80 foot length....then, we have the gallery that measures 36 feet by 80 feet with a 12 X 24 foot office inside it....

I don't need another shed, I just need to get rid of stuff.

I saved stuff for my kids (now grown) thinking I would be saving them money when they made their own homes....that was where I went terribly wrong.  They don't want old stuff.  They want their own new stuff.  I don't want the old stuff either. 

My method of unpacking and  moving into the house now, is to go through each box, each piece of furniture with a plan.  What I don't have room for, goes.  What I don't need, goes.  What I have had for 5 years, thinking I would need it, and never have, goes (unless it's a tool...tools always stay).  It takes time, but I don't want to live in the cluttered style that I've lived in prior to this house.

I don't really think a yard sale would work, because it's pretty awful stuff.

Yes, I am "changing my ways"....
Now, this is just a test.  I can change my mind if I have to.  My family is already chuckling and saying "sure Mom".   But I really want to change!

Christina 

Redoverfarm

I don't really think a yard sale would work, because it's pretty awful stuff.

Christina you know what they say.  "One mans junk is another mans treasure". I seriously doubt knowing you that it is pretty awful stuff.  Shoot if I were closer I am sure some could be made for decorating the cabin.

glenn kangiser

Try Ebay -- people will buy anything on there.  I know -- I bought some of it. [crz]

teacher2

Question for you, Christina.  Have you used the upstairs AC unit yet?  I am curious how it working out.  Also, how are you cooling the main level?  Thanks 

CWhite

Hi teacher2
No, I haven't used the ac unit upstairs, because it's still kind of cool here at night.   The house stays very comfortable, even during the day with the very high ceilings.   We have not experienced hot temperatures yet, and that is why I installed that unit upstairs. 

The split unit does work.  I have turned it on just to test it, and friends I have who use the same unit swear by them. 
Christina

Mike 870

I bet the spray insulation you had to do because of the vapor barrier issue will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  That stuff is supposed to be awesome.  You'll probably save a ton on cooling costs.

CWhite

Oddly, I have never had an airconditioner before.  This area's climate is rarely too hot to stand.  Even if it gets to 100 degrees for a few days in August, it cools always down at night. \

I'm outside more than I am inside, so there are many folks who would not agree with me, but I also have no use for a clothes drier....would rather hang the clothes outside for the smell and free drying process than have to make more money to pay for the appliance and then run it.   

The airconditioner upstairs is more for guests who may not be able to sleep upstairs in the hot summer  than for me and my husband.  We sleep downstairs.

Christina

teacher2

Here in Texas it can be near 100 during the day and still be 90 or so at midnight, especially July through early September.  It just doesn't cool down much.  The humidity can get really high, too.  It is just too miserable to sleep when it is that hot.  How tall are you ceilings downstairs?

CWhite

The ceilings downstairs are 10 feet.  I also left the cathedral ceilings upstairs in the 12/12 pitch.  It makes the house seem much larger, and the ceiling fans help with the air circulation.   I do need to buy window screens soon. 

North Georgia was a well kept secret, that is quickly gaining recognition.  The elevation here is such that we often enjoy temperatures 10 degrees cooler than Atlanta even though we are less than 1 1/2 hours north of there.  Most winters, we don't see snow accumulation of more than 2 inches that lasts for a day or two....just long enough to take pictures of it.  You would have to drive north for about 8 hours to buy a snow shovel.  :) 
Christina

Alasdair

Hi Christina,
Just to say thanks for posting your build for us all to see. My wife and I just looked through your snapfish album. The place is beautiful and testament to your good taste and artists eye.
We hope to build the 1 1/2 story in the near future and your place is full of great ideas and inspiration.
Thanks again
Al