Does anyone here live full time in a carriage house/garage apartment?

Started by ToddSInGA, December 18, 2008, 06:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToddSInGA

Newbie here, so please be gentle :)

I'm in the process of looking for my first house and in my research I've stumbled on this site. Since I've moved a large number of times in my life due to either family or job relocations I've finally found an area that I want to stay in and with a stable but not so great paying job I'm looking for my first house as I'm tired of renting and everything that goes with it. My current rent is more than an average mortgage, but in this area living somewhere less expensive equates to a less than safe enviroment.

As a teen I had a friend whose parents let him use the studio apartment above thier garage as his room, both to give him privacy and to allow him to practice his drums without disturbing them! Needless to say he was the envy of all the kids in school!!! The apartment was a source of extra income for his family when he was younger and even had a washer and dryer. It was almost like he was living in his own house.

Almost every place that I've lived in as a adult has been either in a townhome or a second floor or higher apartment, and in my search for an affordable first home most of what I've found in my price range ($80,000 or less) have been single story ranches or bungalows on a slab, with floor plans that didn't feel right. As a single person I don't need a large amount of space right now but I don't want to hurt the resale value by getting something too small either. I prefer to be above ground level for privacy and security reasons as well.

I've decided that I would like to have my first place custom build and the idea of residing in a carriage style home is appealing to me, especially one with an open floor plan like the loft condos that are common in large cities. With proper planning it could be set up for two bedrooms upstairs and one of garage bays could be converted into another bedroom or bonus room if I ever got married or had kids.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone out there who lives in this type of dwelling or has built one of these cabin type houses on top of a garage.

Thanks in advance

Todd

glenn kangiser

We will try not to hurt you too much, Todd. [crz]

Seems like something you could do with John's 20x30 1 1/2 or 2 story - clear span on the bottom could work for a garage as well as open floor plan.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

n74tg

I lived in a two car garage converted into an apartment for a couple of years.  Living alone I was quite comfortable.  If there had been another soul in there with me, I might not be able to say the same thing.  It was about 400 sq ft. 

Welcome to the forum.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Dog

;) Another Newbie here. I was wondering the same thing. I may be moving in the future and a situation like what you're referring to sounds really good. Good Luck!
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dog

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dog

cholland

A carriage house idea sounds good for a single person or the right couple.
I have tossed the idea around a few times.  If you wernt't parking or using the space for a shop, it could easily be converted to living space.
Origonally I thought of doing that for my starter 'cabin' and then build a main house.

FrankInWI

this doesn't qualify for occupancy. it's less than the sq. ft needed (the living space upstairs)... and no plumbing yet, etc.  Garage downstairs, "storge" upper.  Gambrel trusses, including the floor joists. 24 X 28

god helps those who help them selves

MountainDon

I lived in a third floor warehouse once.

With my race car and motorcycle.

[crz]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ToddSInGA

Quote from: FrankInWI on December 20, 2008, 10:54:15 PM
this doesn't qualify for occupancy. it's less than the sq. ft needed (the living space upstairs)... and no plumbing yet, etc.  Garage downstairs, "storge" upper.  Gambrel trusses, including the floor joists. 24 X 28

This is so cool!!!! Thanks for sharing your pics!!!!

Ideally I'd like something along this line, with a open floorplan that would allow partitions to be put up as needed. One design I found at another site (sorry ) is this:

http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-43133&FoundID=2&sid=chp1

This plan could be modified for a walkout basement and with the right type of roof no internal load bearing walls. I'm a big fan of the HGTV program "Small Space Big Style" and I recall a home that was similar in concept but had a modern IKEA inspired feel to it.

This thread seems to be taking off and I appreciate all the assistance!!!!

FrankInWI

I think they try to support John's plans here and I support that.  I bought the 1 1/2 story for the real house that will go next door to this in a few years. 
god helps those who help them selves

ToddSInGA

The idea of building a carriage house first on a property and living there until a main house can be built is a great idea! Thank you.