Lap Top Battery

Started by Redoverfarm, November 24, 2012, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Does anyone know the life expectancy of lap top batteries?  Mine is just under two years and is bitting the dust.   >:(

MountainDon

2 years plus. Heat kills them. Leaving plugged in all the time reduces life. I have a power strip at home that I turn off when leaving it for the day.

Mine is about three years and is still good. Karen's is going on 6 years and is at about 60-70% of what it was new. It doesn't get used portable much so does not matter.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

About 2 years is average for me

I read that if you nearly discharge the battery once per month it might help -- I am trying that with this one

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

I've been told that when using the laptop on a desk or tied to AC power for an extended period the battery can be removed and place in the refrigerator. That extends the battery life, but the way things go for me I'd trip over the cord and unplug it thereby loosing everything I was working on.....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I have this thing about rechargeable batteries.  They are handy but the life for me are not what they are cracked up to be or the way I use them.  I try to draw off the battery and when it notes it has a low capacity I plug it in.  Problem is that I sometimes forget to unplug it or it happens late in the evening and it is either leave it plugged in when I go to bed or start off in the AM with a dead battery.  I guess I just need to fine tune my procedures some to make them coincide with it's use times.  Anyway on a happier note I found the factory replacement. Ordered through Walmart for some $60 and that is free shipping to the house.  On Line at some of the battery suppliers they were well over $80-90 +. 

glenn kangiser

I just leave mine plugged in and replace the computer every two or 3 years....
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 25, 2012, 12:41:45 PM
I just leave mine plugged in and replace the computer every two or 3 years....

Well you can't hide money. ;)

Native_NM

Road warrior here.  Two years is great.  As already stated, they last longer if you cycle the battery on a regular basis - like road warriors. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Huge29

Two years is about right; I get new ones on eBay with warranty for about $20.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Huge29 on November 29, 2012, 01:42:44 AM
Two years is about right; I get new ones on eBay with warranty for about $20.

Thanks for the replies.  I got my replacement yesterday.  Seems everything is back to normal now. 

peternap

2 years seems to be the magic number for me too. I just got Jane a new one at about 15 months. The good news is the batteries are getting better and the cost is coming down.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!