My cabin Plan

Started by new land owner, April 30, 2008, 07:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

I am planing a cabin and I thought I would see what everyone thinks of my design.

I just tried Photobucket for the first time so I hope my pictures work.

My cabin is 20 x 28 with an eight foot wide porch.  I used part of the porch to fit in a kitchen.

Once I figure out how to get the floorplan out of punch I will send it along as well

front view of the cabin...

View in the cabin looking back towards the kitchen

StinkerBell

I think it looks great!

It made me laugh, I have the same program. I chuckled, we have the same furniture!

muldoon

I like it as well, but I have a few questions.

From the front view, I see two doors.  One going in to the main room and the other going into what looks like the kitchen.  Given their proximity to each other, what is gained by losing the wall and counter real estate in the kitchen to make the door?  It seems to me that there's never enough space in the kitchen already :)

Second question, I see the nice big gable roof over the main part of the building but the interior picture shows a flat ceiling.  In my (admittedly small) experience nothing makes a small room feel small like a low ceiling.  Perhaps you could make the place feel bigger by opening up some of the area above and just blocking back some space for lofts?  I am guess that that there is no living space in the second floor based on seeing no windows above the first level. 

As for lofts/attic space, I think a pair of gable vents might be worthwhile addition if used as attic or maybe gable windows if used as a loft. 

Looking good. 

John Raabe

Nice general shape and a classic look.

The 20' wide single story would work well for your structural plans. It comes with an 8' porch layout as well.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

StinkerBell

muldoon,
I think the porch door is open giving the impression of a door to the kitchen.

BiggKidd

I think it looks good too. What program is that? I'd like to give it a try.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

new land owner

The front door on the porch is open making it look like a second door to the kitchen.

I am thinking of raising the ceiling in the main living room area.

I do not think I will have any loft space.

I am going for a full basement.

new land owner

john

The 20 x 30 plan is my starting point for this cabin.  I purchased the plan last year and have been working on my plan ever since.

I Punch software as3000 is the what I am using now.  I know there is alot of discussing about using a pencil and paper or a program but it is so easy to make a change and see the results when a program is used.

MountainDon

I agree that a 3D program makes it easy to alter things and compare. However, unless it's a high end product you still need pencil, paper and scales to come up with drawings that you can actually submit to your planning department and to build from.

I use an older second hand version of Punch!, but have several a multitude of sheets of my own hand drawn plans detailing floor, walls, rafters, etc.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

BiggKidd

Guys,

Pencil and paper is how my dad taught me but these days my hands shake some and do eratic thinks with a mind of there own.

hmm
Guess I should explain. I have M.S. I can still do most everythang I ever did just not quite as well. But it beats the heck out of the alturative.  :) :D ;D

Larry

Larry

MountainDon

Sorry to hear about that BiggKidd. I know some folks with MS, some days are better than others from what I see. Best of luck.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

BiggKidd

Don,

Its really not a big deal. Just a few things I don't do as well as I use to. It did give me a wake up call to get in gear with life.

Larry 

Larry

John Raabe

If your design program can print out floorplans at 1/4" scale with accurate dimensions and notes that you (or the inspector) want on the plan, then this printout can be copied into your plans set for the submittal drawings. On the standard floorplan you could just add a big note "see revised layout, sheet 12" or whatever.

That's why I like the simple program 3D Home Architect ver. 3. It does a very good job of pro level floorplans (but not the other drawings).

While I do most of the drawings for my plans with standard drafting tools, several of the floorplans in the final plans I sell here are printouts from this program.

That makes it very easy for folks to download the template files from PlanHelp, make their revisions, reprint them to scale and tape them back down on to the master sheets.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

new land owner

As suggested I raised the ceiling!

I think I like it much better.

Dilly

If you took the front porch and extended it all the way across the front you have my existing cottage down to a T.  LOL . I like what you are doing.  Go with cathedral ceilings all the way through in my opinion. I would reduce the porch to about 6 feet as any larger and you will find more stuff out there then the two Adirondack chairs and end table..  Just some thoughts.  One bedroom on the main and the others in the basement?
Good Luck
Dilly

new land owner

Any chance you have a picture or two of your cabin?  I am still trying to decide on the look of the outside.

Yes one bedroom on the first floor and although I am not planning on a second bedroom there will be plenty of room down there for company.

Dilly

I will try to get my girlfriend to download one off my digital camera on her computer and send it to you.  It was built in the 1940's after the war but you will recognize why I say wow similar stylings.  It will take me until Friday but I will do something and try and download it and post it for you.
For sure
Dilly

Pritch

Nice job!  If its not too much trouble, I'd love to see the floorplan.  Also, is there a specific reaon you are going with a drop ceiling rather that vaulted?  Wht are your plans for the porch?  Screen only, removable glass panels, or something else? 

Thanks!

-- FLIX
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

new land owner

I am still working on getting the floor plan off of Punch.  I can print the flor plan but I have not been able to figure out how to make a JPG of it.

The reason for a non valuted ceiling is that at this point I plan to use trusses.  I need to be sure of snow load issues and I think the build will be much easier.

MountainDon

Quote from: new land owner on May 06, 2008, 04:05:57 AM
I can print the flor plan but I have not been able to figure out how to make a JPG of it.

Assuming you're using Windows.... Size the image on the screen so the entire thing is displayed. Press "Print Screen". That saves the entire screen to the clipboard. Then open your image editing program. Paste the contents of the clipboard into a new image. Crop off the excess and save as a jpg.

glenn kangiser

One of the best ways to do that is one Daddymem referred us to -- Gadwin Printscreen -- free

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

new land owner

Glen

Thanks for the help on the floor plan. 

Here is my floor plan

glenn kangiser

No problem.  There is also an extra for Firefox that will blow it up for larger viewing - called Image Zoom I think.

Nicely detailed.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.