using roofing shingles as siding

Started by entrail, August 24, 2010, 07:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entrail

Has anyone ever used 3-1 roofing shingles as siding? Someone suggested it to me and it sounds interesting. 

rocking23nf

that would be expensive, and likely very ugly, i would need to a see a picture first thats for sure.

entrail

I'm not sure it would look so bad as long as they were a decent color , green or reddish maybe. Expensive for sure.

MountainDon

Asphalt shingle coverage is 3 bundles to 100 sq ft. HD and Lowe's have shingles at $18 to 25 a bundle; $54 to 75 a hundred, 0.54 to 0.75 a square foot.  Or looking at it another way that's about $18 to 25 for the equivalent of a 4x8 ft sheet.   Cheap 3/8 Smartside costs $23 a sheet, other materials like 4x8 Hardie panel $30 to 33 a sheet. None of that pricing includes nails.

So pricewise shingles may not be too bad. I dunno that I like the appearance though.

??? ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Erin

A few decades ago, that's how folks in my part of the world often sided outbuildings like chicken coops and sheds.
I'm not sure I'd want to see it on my house, though, because of my own associations.  ;)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Redoverfarm

My biggest concern would be the sealing of the tabs.  They are not designed to go on a verticle surface such as the older style shingle siding that resembled cut stone.  If you are in a windy area and the shingles do not self seal then they might get some damage.  Yes in a pinch I wouldn't be afraid to use them on a shed or coup but a living quarters that would be a tough choice.   ???

rick91351

Count us as poor people and having poor ways.  Our home when I was a kid had them.  It worked okay for siding but the folks worked very hard and saved and had the place stuccoed after a few years.  Drove by there the other day and after 50 years the stucco was still there.  Dang I'm getting old... ;)   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Squirl

It was common in the 40's and early 50's.  I just had to replace them on an old house.  It was a horrible mess.  They blackened everything around as they fell apart.  Most other forms of siding can be kept up almost indefinitely with proper maintenance.  I don't know how you could with asphalt shingles.  I also second the distaste for their aesthetics. 

Bob S.

As Squirl noted it used to be common. They even made them with a fake brick look. Incredibly ugly. I mean in a big way!!! It was one step up from tar paper. Lots of people lived in tar paper shacks. The do gooders made them illegal. Now those type of folks are homeless. I guess its a better deal.