215 sf Indian prefab house to sell for under $1000

Started by John Raabe, July 19, 2011, 09:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Click images for story.

Or how about some of these ideas...

These houses are not meant for US building codes or long-term multi-generational heritage housing, but ideas from other cultures are often inspirational for your own small house project.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

bayview

Fascinating!   

But, I would think that the floor plan would "flow" better is the bedroom was separated and not part of the kitchen-dining area . . .    Like this . . .

/.

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Freeholdfarm

What is the white space with an X in it in the lower left corner of that floor plan?  It looks like the toilet space is next to it, and the shower is the space above it, so what do they use that corner for? 

I almost agree with switching the bedroom and living room around, but if you leave them as originally shown, there should be space for a small table between the kitchen counter and the bed.  If you put the living room across from the kitchen, the door opens into the space where the table needs to go. 

Kathleen

UK4X4

The kitchen was kept in line with the bathroom to keep the plumbing simple- bed in the main room is pretty common as well- as with multple kids in a small space sitting on the bed in the living area would be normal

the X is more than likely water storage - in most third world countries water service is sporadic and low pressure

its probably just a large open tank, the two little windows from the toilet and shower allow you to dip in a bucket and access the water.

How do I know these technical details.....my wifes family come from Venezuela

every bathroom has a 48gal plastic drum in it for showering and flushing duties

in remoter areas water is delivered by truck
and each house either has a stack of drums outside in the garden or a concrete tank

This is the roadside concrete tank at the inlaws house

Freeholdfarm

Thanks, that makes sense.  I figured it was probably storage for something, but couldn't figure out what -- wasn't thinking of water.

Kathleen

John Raabe

Very interesting UK4X4.

I am wondering what the waste system would typically be for a house such as this. Is there a ceramic squat plate toilet with a water trap that could be flushed with a water bucket? This is what I saw when I was in Iran.

This would be a big step up from an outhouse.

But what would be the waste treatment system from there? I would expect the first-world two-stage septic tank and drain field to be too complex and expensive.

Maybe some sort of cesspool? See: http://askville.amazon.com/cesspool-work-types-houses/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=1688445

Texas Tornado

UK4X4

Sewage wise

at the inlaws - long drop......or not so long in their case !

- frankly I prefer the bushes- cleaner and more hyginic !- likewise they have an indoor shower- but the bamboo shower enclosure in the garden is also cleaner !

In town the ones living in established neighbourhoods have sewage pipes.

The ones in the newer land invasion areas longdrop is standard- basicly a pit - open at the bottom to the earth- bathroom is normal looking the pipes just takes the sewage to the pit

when full start digging !

My experience in asia is pretty similar but add open sewers to the equation !

Life is still very basic - we forget that most of the worlds population still lives like this - not in our sterile controled world

Here's the wife washing her hair !

and me having a shave before my wedding !

The tent on the back of the truck is where we spent our wedding night !

John Raabe

Cool! Looks like a nice camper rig and a fun wedding.