Chainsaws - been watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Started by Billisnice, September 05, 2007, 11:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

I am looking for a under 250 chainsaw. What brand and model fits small needs?

Stihl or Husqvarna?

Thanks

glenn kangiser

I have one of each - Both good.  Stihl limits sales to places that service them such as saw shops.

Note that many of the old good name American saws aren't worth the powder to blow them up.  At least their low end models.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Personally I have always had a soft spot for Husky's. Never met one I didn't like.  :)

My neighbor has an Echo he likes. Not sure what model but it was about $300.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Echo may have improved in the last 30 years but the one we had at the phone company was a pain and kept losing parts -- they would just fall off as you used it.  1972-74

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Kevin

I paid $150. for a poulan called the "Wild Thing" and it has worked great.
It cleared my lot for my cabin and yard with no problems. And it was solid forest.
Kevin

peter nap

Both are good and I also have both and a couple of Poulans too. I lean heavily to the Husky s. I also bought a Husky weedwacker with a brush blade last year. Love it.

I think I'm going to make a sawmill setup for the Stihl.

Billisnice

I am looking at the Husqvarna 240. It seems to have more features than a stihl for around $200 price range.  16 inch bar and chain.

MountainDon

I'd buy the biggest engine I could afford and handle comfortably.

I know it doesn't affect most folks, and I don't want to sound like a broken record, having mentioned this under many other IC engine threads... don't overlook the 3% per 1000 foot elevation power loss. Makes a difference to me at 8800 feet.

45 cc, 18 "
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

We bought an 18" Craftsman.  The 55 CC engine was the kicker.  It was 11 CC above anything else in it's class.  Extremely easy to start.  $200 on sale this spring.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Jens

QuoteEcho may have improved in the last 30 years but the one we had at the phone company was a pain and kept losing parts -- they would just fall off as you used it.  1972-74

Pac Bell?  I worked for those multiple-deleted-explative's for 2 years as a mantainance splicer.  Loved the job, hated the company.  

I've had friends swear by both husky and stihl.  Had one who started a tree service with a homelite saw, used it for a while, traded up for more power, but it got the job done, and the business started.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

Kerman Telephone - a medium small privately owned company.  I started in maintenance, then added equipment operating then added cable splicing along with a bit of weekend trouble shooting.  I spliced a bunch of 600 pair paper wrapped cable with plastic cover  and also did lead over paper - wiped lead sleeves - ripped in underground cable with a D6 and R65 Ditchwitch.  

Found out I knew more than the boss so quit and started my own business in 1974.   Stuck here now because no one else will have me - actually can't afford me full time. :)