septic pour with an on-site mixer

Started by BigMish, August 22, 2007, 09:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

I've got my eye on a piece of property down a long (half mile) dirt road that is in rough shape. Suffice to say there is no way a cement mixer could make it up. I'm worried about the pour for the septic tank, is it realistic that this could be done with an on-site mixer. Would it be possible to use the mixer for a full foundation?

Is there anything I should be aware of when thinking about this long driveway (other than the fact that I'll need a goof 4x4 with a plow)?

Thanks, M

PEG688

Fix the road  ;)

I doubt any building dept/ septic / board of health Dept. would except a site poured septic tank , I could be wrong or maybe you'll have no septic insp. but that right outta the gate could be a problem.

I'd say fix the road into the site.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

benevolance

Just depends on what the restriction are and what is grandfathered in...

If building permits are not a problem....Then Septic is not a problem

Why not just design a system that works to the slope of your land and the type of soil....and then build a tank out of  cement blocks....who cares if there is microscopic amounts of seepage...If you build the system well and design it to handle more than your needs it will never let you down.

the important thing is to find out what the laws are for building permits in your area...What requirements need to be met to get electricity...And for the love of god and your future sanity...If you decide to do this on your own....Make sure you get the septic in the ground and covered before they see what you are doing...Harder to stop you once it is all done and the building is up...

Peg is right in a lot of areas...Places where no permits are issued until septic is in and inspected are tough to get around... Some places require a 50-66 ft right of way/road before permits will be issued so depending on the county and where you live fixing the road could cost a fortune

John Raabe

There's a great little book on septic tank design and construction. I know of nothing better.

If you are going to attempt to do your own system [highlight]READ THIS BOOK FIRST[/highlight] as you have a responsibility to your own health and the health of the environment.

That said, this isn't rocket science. Lloyd Kahn and folks do a great job of explaining both the science and art of poop management in a fully "engrossing" manner.

The Septic System Owner's Manual, by Lloyd Kahn, Blair Allen and Julie Jones. From Shelter Publications in Bolinas, CA, www.shelterpub.com

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

It may be sh** to you but it's Lloyds bread and butter.

Yes - there have been plans I have seen for septic tanks that should be approved - no problem.

Possibly an on site dry mix truck could get in but the road would still have to be good with wide corners - the owner or driver would want to check.  Roads can cost more than houses.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tc-vt

Will you need heavy equipment like a dozer for other site work like clearing the home site,  an excavator?  That half mile road will be short work for a good size professionally run dozer and then you will have access for other large equipment, lumber and material deliveries, cement truck, propane delivery?, delivery of a precast septic tank and it will also be a more plowable road which will not beat the heck out of, or worse, break, the plow.

If the site has a grade to it, a day with a good size dozer may be able to grade a flatter housesite and improve the drive.

Tom

benevolance

well if you can get a D-8 to the site the dozer can just lower the blade and put it in gear and presto! instant road to the homesite....

Course they likely want $2-300 per hour for a machine like that...plus transportation costs...So it is not going to be cheap...And you need a colvert and gravel too...

Roads are expensive..even half done  do it yourself homemade ones

glenn kangiser

I made my own road - about 1/4 mile on the side of the mountain with a John Deere 2010 trackhoe - tracklayer loader w/backhoe.  Took about a month off and on, then a year or two of touch up.  Paying someone thousand of dollars was the other option.

It was a courtesy thing as the upper road went about 30 feet from the neighbors bedroom window.  You always do all you can to be good neighbors.  Things go much better that way. :)

I know a couple neighbors who don't like each other.  The inspector is even tired of going to enforce all the violation calls from each of them on the other.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Kevin

What about a plastic septic tank. You can haul it back there in a pickup truck?
Kevin

glenn kangiser

That's a good one, Kevin.  That's what I did.

Kevin

Me to. I use a 500 gal one.Fit just find in the back of my truck. Plus a lot easier to handle.
kevin

glenn-k

I had a 1500 gallon one in the back of my truck and put it in here.  You are not supposed to drive over the plastic or the concrete ones as mentioned by Daddymem - the cement truck in the septic tank experience if I recall correctly.

I like the plastic ones for ease of use and installation.