Sheetrock alternatives

Started by n74tg, June 13, 2007, 09:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

I am going to room off a small area in my workshop that I can insulate and air condition.  In planning it and making a list of materials needed I got to thinking about whether any other materials might substitute for the sheetrock so commonly used.  

I haven't checked 1/4" masonite prices yet, but it seems it could have some advantages over sheetrock.  

I live out in the county and have NO building inspectors to deal with, so I can build anything I want.  

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

glenn-k

In a workshop - depending on the type, It may be better to use plywood or solid wood so you can mount things on the wall without a problem.  Sheetrock is pretty worthless for that.

I find pegboard to be pretty flimsy - it is masonite.  Of course I would want to hang too much on it.  Extra support could help though.

jraabe

In our little cabin we insulated the studs, put up black 6 mil poly and then utility grade 1x6 Hemlock. You can hang almost anything from the walls and the black background makes the knot holes and board shrinkage disappear.

glenn-k

I much prefer the solid 1x over plywood - it comprises most walls in the underground command center. :)

Doug_Martin

I've seen several cabins with the walls and ceiling all OSB, painted white.  You get the advantages of hanging anything anywhere and not having to tape and mud the seams, but you'll have a lot of off gassing.

Around here OSB is 2/3 the price of drywall.  

tc-vt

What about a hardboard (cementitious) material.  It might be good at holding a nail from which to hang things and also comply with flame and smoke requirements.

Tom

JRR

I've seen some nice looking shops that had drywall, with horizontal 1x6's installed all around for hanging purposes.

Has anyone tried the new paperless (mold-less) drywall?

Daddymem

I've got a place where I can get pallets free.  I've been toying with the idea of using the boards for when I finish my basement areas off.  Sturdy and rustic...and free! :)

glenn-k

They can look pretty cool.  I got some whole pallet/boxes built on out of China - a school job - had dumbells in them.  Couldn't leave them. :-/

hobbiest

I don't know that I've ever met a dumbell from China.   :-X  Pallets from the Phillipines are sometimes made out of Mahogany.  I built some bunkbeds for my kids a few years ago out of crates.  Go to machine shops that deal in large volume orders, and they might have some of these crates made out of rough 1x6x12' up tp 16'.  Hardest part with regular pallets is getting the planks off without breaking them as the staples hold really well.  Best way I think is to knock em a bit, then cut with a sawzall (the staples).  I wanted to make a picket fence years ago out of pallets, remove all boards from one side, and the 2x4 from one end.  You are now left with a 4' fencing panel that you can attach to other panels via posts, or longer 2x4's and then to posts.  Dog ear the tops, and get the whitewash out Tom Saywer.  Nothing wuite like free stuff made into something useful and pretty.  A guy in K. Falls, OR salvaged pallets and crates for years and built a cool fence, and lots of gingerbread for his little house.  Another guy built a 6' tall fence, about 150' or so out of the long crates.

glenn-k

Ummmm --- I meant the things that you lift when you're in school- big chunks of iron - not counting the vice principals car that you and a bunch of guys set on the front porch sideways. :-?

I should have known you were going to tear me up on that. :-/