Building Inspections

Started by Steve_B, September 08, 2012, 06:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_B

Keeping in mind all area of the country are different in terms of inspectors and inspections....

But from start to finish in building a house... how many times does the inspector come to check on things?

If something is not up to code, do they allow unlimited time to fix it, or is there an X days to have it right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never even dealt with an inspection before

Steve
It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

PEG688

Here in  Western Washington we get.

Footing /  Foundation:    before the pour to inspect the steel.

Under floor: some cities want to inspect the under floor before the sheathing is laid down so they don't have to crawl into the crawl space.

Rough framing:  after electrical , plumbing , HVAC are completed.

Shear wall :  If applicable before any building wrap is applied .

Insulation: some times this is a two part inspection , IF we have the insulation company do the foam filling of wire holes , special or odd fire blocking ( not to be confused with anti rotation blocking ) we run into this on remodeling projects mainly where we are combating odd situations generally in basements. 

Sheet rock nailing: yes they want to inspect that here as well.

Final:  after everything is pretty much done, they'll wiggle a little on some things trusting we'll finish them, not much stuff but some. Any thing safety related they want to come back and see the fix or the completed work.

As far as how long you have generally they'll look at any issues on the next inspection to see if the items are fixed.  IF what they need to see isn't covered up by other work.

I get along with all our inspectors , you don't have much other choice really.  But generally they OK and will work with you, if you stamp your feet and refuse it can get ugly.

Remember arguing with a building official is like wrestling with a pig, you both get dirty , but the pig likes it.     
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Cropping Up

Quote from: Steve_B on September 08, 2012, 06:14:44 PMKeeping in mind all area of the country are different in terms of inspectors and inspections....

I guess I'm a good counterpoint to PEG688.  Recently I spoke with my local authorities, and inspections here are few and far between.  It's rural so there's no sewer and once all the perc tests are done, the septic is installed, and it's okayed, that's about it.  (With 20+ acres, there's not even perc tests, they automatically give it the okay.)  There are no structural inspections and electrical inspections are rare and completely random.  Basically, it's up to you to make sure it's built decently.

rick91351

We went from a county where our mountain property is at with inspections that were very liberal and easy.  We now have one of the toughest departments in the state.  This was due to several  failures.  Mostly due to snow and wind load.  It is one now where they pretty much go by the book but they also tell you when you pull your permits we need a footing inspection to check on the steel and pretty much down the line as Peg says other than have not had a sheet rock inspection unless it is used for shear.  But the inspector is very good at telling you okay now I need to inspect the rough in.  Or call me next when ......  Insolation there now needs to be inspected and paper work filed due to Obama Bucks and have not got messed up in that....... 

As far as septic and power.  In this state is handled by the state inspectors.  Septic has to be inspected by the state health department then after that you have to pull another permit not from the same state inspector nor office but another department before you ever hook up to your septic.  The meterbase and hook up has to be inspected by the state before Idaho Power can supply the power to the job site then has to inspect the service and ground into your dwelling as well as the wiring of course.         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

flyingvan

My inspection schedule is very similar to PEG688's.  Before I started I just went to the county's web site and downloaded the inspection card, but then I had to ask someone from the building department which ones were only for residential (commercial uses the same card).  Here, you HAVE to get an inspection every 180 days or else re-pay a bunch of the fees, so you can order a progress inspection.  It costs a little more since it's an extra trip out for them but a lot less than repaying the fees (My inspector has always signed something off when I had to order the progress inspection----once he signed off the drywall even though all the screws weren't in yet)
   -ALWAYS ask the inspector what he's particular about for the next upcoming inspection
   -Take the time to do a building inspector ride-along if available in your area.  This is an invaluable day spent, and even though you're not swinging the hammer that day it will pay off huge dividends.  Getting to know how they work, what they look for, what their mindset is, picking their brain about questions you have.....The one I rode with offered his personal number so I could call anytime with questions.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

MushCreek

Right off of the flyer they gave me:

BUILDING-
Footing
Foundation
Slab
Framing
Ceiling Close
Zoning/Code Enforcement
Building Final

ELECTRICAL-
Underground
Rough-In
Permanent power
Grounding
Above ceiling
Electrical Final

MECHANICAL-
Underground
Rough-In
Rough Gas Pipe
Hood
Above Ceiling
Tag Gas
Mechanical Final

PLUMBING-
Underground
Sewer/Septic
Rough-In
Plumbing Final

Additionally, each category has 'Progress', which can be called if you are in danger of the permit becoming inactive. You have to have some kind of inspection at a maximum of 6 months to keep the permit active. If you flunk, you have up to 6 months to correct the problem. Some of the above aren't applicable to every build, and the county has taken to combining inspections to minimize trips. My next one will combine electrical rough-in, plumbing rough-in, and framing. Every location is different; I'm in Greenville County, SC, the most populous county in SC, so the rules are probably tougher here than other areas.

Some advice- The inspector is always right! Ask them a few questions, and never argue. Keep the site neat and orderly. My inspector is always impressed with how clean I keep my site, and he's become much friendlier, and spends less time actually inspecting. In other words, he's come to respect my work. Whenever I'm not sure of something, I ask him, and thank him for his help.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Squirl

My inspections are.
Footings before the pour.
Forming before the foundation pour (if there is one).
Foundation after built.
Rough in Framing.
Plumbing.
Electric (done by electrician)
After walls are insulated and covered.

Erin

Quote from: Cropping Up on September 08, 2012, 09:23:11 PM
I guess I'm a good counterpoint to PEG688.  Recently I spoke with my local authorities, and inspections here are few and far between.  It's rural so there's no sewer and once all the perc tests are done, the septic is installed, and it's okayed, that's about it.  (With 20+ acres, there's not even perc tests, they automatically give it the okay.)  There are no structural inspections and electrical inspections are rare and completely random.  Basically, it's up to you to make sure it's built decently.
This is how it works in rural Kansas, too, except that in addition to no structural inspections, there are also no electrical (or plumbing) inspections at all. 
Septic.  That's it.
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Huge29

Most municipalities have the procedures and requirements listed on their websites, but most commonly you will see the long list that is found above.  Good luck!